Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 12:18   #1

Route Properties

Route Properties works perfectly when using True bearings and headings. If I disable the WMM and switch to Magnetic bearings and headings manually updating the variation I have problems. The Magnetic Bearings show up in the Bearings column and the Leg column with leg number omitted. Can I correct this or is something acting up in the program?
I also request if possible that when working with Magnetic Bearings/Headings if the print function would print magnetic course headings as opposed to True.
Thank you guys for such a great product. Your new website is first class. Have donated before, but will do again.
My laptop is a Lenovo T410 running Win 7. I am also running the current version 4.6.1 OpenCpn.
Prairie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 16:50   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Route Properties

Prairie35
Thankyou for torture testing magnetic . Please post details of your findings and screenshots in the Tracker so this does not get lost. Put it under version 4.6.1 and label it as a bug please. Thankyou.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 18:22   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

I think I fixed this in a PR but will have to double check. Some of my PRs are not yet integrated into the latest code base.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 23:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie 36 View Post
Route Properties works perfectly when using True bearings and headings. If I disable the WMM and switch to Magnetic bearings and headings manually updating the variation I have problems. The Magnetic Bearings show up in the Bearings column and the Leg column with leg number omitted. Can I correct this or is something acting up in the program?
I also request if possible that when working with Magnetic Bearings/Headings if the print function would print magnetic course headings as opposed to True.
Thank you guys for such a great product. Your new website is first class. Have donated before, but will do again.
My laptop is a Lenovo T410 running Win 7. I am also running the current version 4.6.1 OpenCpn.
The route properties dialogue was fixed in https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/849. This is not yet in the released version because the fix was written after 4.6.1 was released.

If you change the compass heading mode between WMM and manual then you need to exit OpenCPN and restart it each time you change. Otherwise it may crash. Most people don't change this setting often as they tend to use one way or the other all the time.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08   #5

Sorry, but I don't know what "tracker" is.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12   #6

When do you think the fix will be incorporated into the CPN download? Also, my OpenCpn 4.6.1 allows you to check both mag and true box under options/display/units. Looks if you check one of these then it would uncheck the other one.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:23   #7

Route Properties

You can use both mag and true and the route properties will show both. But if you change back to just one then you have to close and restart OpenCPN.

If you want a new Windows version I can get you one made that will work until the official update release comes out. Don't know when that will be.
Old 06-07-2017, 13:13   #8

That would be great if you could. It would make it a lot easier.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:19   #9

Check your PM inbox.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Route Properties - Tracker

From the Website:
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/

Just register yourself and add your "Tracker" item..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie 36 View Post
Sorry, but I don't know what "tracker" is.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11   #11

The version you sent me works much better. It seems you still have to close and reopen program after disabling WMM, but not when you re-able WMM. Can live with that. If it stays that way I suggest you put it into the manual.

Now, please consider adding the ability to chose any of the fields to print. To use the printed copy as a back up you would want to know the course to steer in Mag.

I appreciate your help. I am working with the Ed Dept of the United States Power Squadron and we use your charting software teaching students electronic navigation. We use one fictitious chart and the 1210 Training Chart and need to the ability to have a constant variation to keep from reprinting charts.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:01   #12

As long as you don't change the various heading settings then it should work the same all the time. If you change heading mode or variation source then just close and restart. Normally one doesn't change these very often.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:43   #13

I can certainly can work with that. Thank you again for your efforts and fast response.

Tags
rope, route