Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29   #1

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Recommend a Windows tablet for OpenCPN

I'm shopping for a tablet that is primarily going to run OpenCPN... boy are there a lot of options out there. I know I want a Windows tablet with a built in GPS, but other than that I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'd like to keep to a budget of $250 or less. Suggestions?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42   #2

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)
Re: Recommend a Windows tablet for OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
I'm shopping for a tablet that is primarily going to run OpenCPN... boy are there a lot of options out there. I know I want a Windows tablet with a built in GPS, but other than that I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'd like to keep to a budget of $250 or less. Suggestions?
Saw a poster answer this question not long ago. I took his advice, and got one myself for 60 bucks off ebay. With my gps puck, opencpn, cm93 and noaa charts, its a great little backup chartplotter.

Motion Computing LE1600
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Saw a poster answer this question not long ago. I took his advice, and got one myself for 60 bucks off ebay. With my gps puck, opencpn, cm93 and noaa charts, its a great little backup chartplotter.

Motion Computing LE1600
So if you're using your GPS puck I guess that means it doesn't have an internal GPS? I'd really like to find a tablet -with- an internal GPS. I plan on putting it in a waterproof case and use it in a small inflatable (for survey/research operations).
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52   #5

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
So if you're using your GPS puck I guess that means it doesn't have an internal GPS? I'd really like to find a tablet -with- an internal GPS. I plan on putting it in a waterproof case and use it in a small inflatable (for survey/research operations).
Yeah, i miss read the internal gps choice. I do like the 12 inch screen though!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05   #6

Thanks, I did see those threads, but it doesn't hurt for me to read them again.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:14   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Doesn't internal gps not work as good because you can't position it so it isn't under things that block the signal?

Maybe it won't matter most of the time, but during thunderstorms it might.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Doesn't internal gps not work as good because you can't position it so it isn't under things that block the signal?

Maybe it won't matter most of the time, but during thunderstorms it might.
I suppose that would depend on the GPS receiver and antenna. The "puck" GPS I use with my laptop and the GPS in my cell phone both seem to work just fine inside the cabin of my boat. But I plan on using this tablet outside anyways so (hopefully) will be able to receive fairly well.
Old 10-02-2015, 15:58   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I found the puck usb gps I have, is a bu 353 I think.. it could not aquire a fix during a severe thunderstorm off of borneo. This is relatively infrequent, but it was whiteout conditions, night time, and many reefs islands and other navigational hazards around and 30 knots of wind.

I think the best option maybe is a gps antenna outside, you can plug in usb if conditions are trying? then 99% of the time you can use the internal gps.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:03   #10

Quote:
I suppose that would depend on the GPS receiver and antenna. The "puck" GPS I use with my laptop and the GPS in my cell phone both seem to work just fine inside the cabin of my boat. But I plan on using this tablet outside anyways so (hopefully) will be able to receive fairly well.
Since you'll be using this on an inflatable RIB, the internal/external takes on a different meeting. Your tablet will be outdoors. Your GPS will be internal to the tablet, but external to the boat's cabin, since a RIB has no cabin.

If the Miix2's internal GPS is too flakey to rely on, I'd recommend using a Bluetooth GPS. That way you can seal off the tablet, and put the Bluetooth GPS in a plastic bag also (assuming its battery life is sufficient for your needs). You could probably use your cell phone as a Bluetooth GPS - there are Android apps that will do that, and I bet there are iPhone apps also.

If you want to use your current wired GPS puck with a Windows tablet, you will need to get an OTG adapter to connect it to the microUSB port. IF you get one with a 90 degree angle plug you may have a chance of fitting it in a waterproof pouch.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Since you'll be using this on an inflatable RIB, the internal/external takes on a different meeting. Your tablet will be outdoors. Your GPS will be internal to the tablet, but external to the boat's cabin, since a RIB has no cabin.

If the Miix2's internal GPS is too flakey to rely on, I'd recommend using a Bluetooth GPS. That way you can seal off the tablet, and put the Bluetooth GPS in a plastic bag also (assuming its battery life is sufficient for your needs). You could probably use your cell phone as a Bluetooth GPS - there are Android apps that will do that, and I bet there are iPhone apps also.

If you want to use your current wired GPS puck with a Windows tablet, you will need to get an OTG adapter to connect it to the microUSB port. IF you get one with a 90 degree angle plug you may have a chance of fitting it in a waterproof pouch.
Exactly what I'm thinking. I have both a puck GPS and a BT capable phone with GPS, but hopefully the internal GPS will do. Incidentally, I pulled the trigger on a Miix 2-8 the other day. Should be here by week's end. I'll be following the very helpful advice you posted in the other threads. Thanks!

Tags
enc, men, opencpn, wind