Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2022, 17:15   #1

Raymarine Quantum Wifi Connection

Hi,
I was wondering is anyone has managed to connect to a Raymarine Quantum wifi unit with a PC. I just purchased a unit and it won't accept a connection from my laptop - I can see the SSID and enter the password. I had assumed the unit had a DHCP sever and this wouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to be able to connect to the unit with our Mikrotik Groove and broadcast below decks (steel hull)

Any help or suggestions ?

cheers,
Mark
mimijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 00:22   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Raymarine Quantum Wifi Connection

The format is closed. What application are you intending to use
Old 25-11-2022, 03:25   #3

Hi goboatingnow,

I had planned on using our Raymarine display below decks, and possibly opencpn for backup. The opencpn radar plugin does support Raymarine Quantum radars, so the format is know (although not published by the manufacture). At the moment I'm more interested in just connecting to the unit and make sure devices below decks can access it's data.

I'm guessing that the unit doesn't have a DHCP server and you need to specify a static IP address, but I don't see anything published online about that. I was hoping a forum member has actually done this this before.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 25-11-2022, 03:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimijane View Post
Hi goboatingnow,

I had planned on using our Raymarine display below decks, and possibly opencpn for backup. The opencpn radar plugin does support Raymarine Quantum radars, so the format is know (although not published by the manufacture). At the moment I'm more interested in just connecting to the unit and make sure devices below decks can access it's data.

I'm guessing that the unit doesn't have a DHCP server and you need to specify a static IP address, but I don't see anything published online about that. I was hoping a forum member has actually done this this before.

Cheers,
Mark

The quantum. wifi SSID and passcode are on the serial plate on the unit. Once connected a simple network sniffer will discover the quantum 2 IP. I can’t remember if the quantum needs an dhcp server the mfd does provide this service you may need to run a dhcp server as I don’t think you can assign a static IP address to the quantum
Old 25-11-2022, 04:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The quantum. wifi SSID and passcode are on the serial plate on the unit. Once connected a simple network sniffer will discover the quantum 2 IP. I can’t remember if the quantum needs an dhcp server the mfd does provide this service you may need to run a dhcp server as I don’t think you can assign a static IP address to the quantum

From what's I've read online, Raymarine assigns IP address in the 10.x.x.x range. I've randomly picked one in that range. I can see some communication using wireshark, but it keeps getting kicked off.

I was hoping this would be relatively straight forward.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 25-11-2022, 04:49   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
From what's I've read online, Raymarine assigns IP address in the 10.x.x.x range. I've randomly picked one in that range. I can see some communication using wireshark, but it keeps getting kicked off.

I was hoping this would be relatively straight forward.

Cheers,
Mark

Tbd range won’t matter as long as the subnet is compatible. As the reverse address protocol lookup will work anyway.
Old 25-11-2022, 05:04   #7

I'm a little lost, not really a networking person. I thought that the wifi network on the Quantum would either need to assign IP address via DHCP or expect IP's in certain ranges.
Old 25-11-2022, 06:06   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I'm a little lost, not really a networking person. I thought that the wifi network on the Quantum would either need to assign IP address via DHCP or expect IP's in certain ranges.

Rasrine MFDs contain a dhcp server the quantum will acquire a suitableIP that way.

If you log into the mfd wifi you will also get a suitable IP

The problems comes when you don’t have a Ray mfd in system. The quantum is not designed AS A standalone radar.

To my mind that’s no way to set a static ip in the quantum before a dhcp address is handed out

Ray simply don’t support external non proprietary connections to its Ethernet devices.
Old 25-11-2022, 18:45   #9

I quickly tried running a DHCP server on my laptop, but still no luck keeping a solid connection with the wifi quantum. I'm thinking the MDF provides some sort of authentication or key. I don't have enough experience looking at wireshark packets to get a handle on where things go off the rails. I don't have my MDF here to sniff packets while it connects.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 25-11-2022, 18:48   #10

Quote:
Ray simply don’t support external non proprietary connections to its Ethernet devices.

Yup, but that didn't stop the folks supporting openCPN from reverse engineering the packets.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 25-11-2022, 21:11   #11

read this thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3602267
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 00:22   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I quickly tried running a DHCP server on my laptop, but still no luck keeping a solid connection with the wifi quantum. I'm thinking the MDF provides some sort of authentication or key. I don't have enough experience looking at wireshark packets to get a handle on where things go off the rails. I don't have my MDF here to sniff packets while it connects.
Cheers,
Mark

Correct the mfd provides a pairing authentication the radar can hold up 10 such sets of information

Once authenticated the radar will rejoin such wifi networks ,

To run without a mfd you’d have to emulate the pairing or have the radar pre-paired using a ray mfd.

Reading the opencon add on I suspect you must have a raymarine mfd in circuit
Old 26-11-2022, 04:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post

Hi Baikal,

I have seen this thread and your post specifically. It wasn't clear to me in your post if you have connected to the radar with it's wifi or a physical cable to a router then wifi to the PC.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 26-11-2022, 04:07   #14

Quote:
Correct the mfd provides a pairing authentication the radar can hold up 10 such sets of information

Once authenticated the radar will rejoin such wifi networks ,

To run without a mfd you’d have to emulate the pairing or have the radar pre-paired using a ray mfd.

Reading the opencon add on I suspect you must have a raymarine mfd in circuit

oh, this is very interesting news. I suspected there was some authentication going on. We are heading down to the boat today, so I'll log the communications during the pairing.

Thanks for all these posts and comments !

Cheers,
Mark
Old 27-11-2022, 05:01   #15

Quote:
Hi Baikal,

I have seen this thread and your post specifically. It wasn't clear to me in your post if you have connected to the radar with it's wifi or a physical cable to a router then wifi to the PC.

Cheers,
Mark
I connected directly to a PC via WiFi, setting the IP, Subnet mask from Quantum in the wireless network settings. It worked BUT, the network and the Internet did not function. I could not connect the Radar via WiFi to my Zyxel Keenetik Lite2, only connection as a WAN source is available there. I successfully connected the Radar by wire to the router, I think it's more reliable!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, wifi