Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2023, 10:26   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Rasp pi: OpenCPN & Venus on single device?

Hi,
Sorry for this newbie question. Just wondering if it is possible on a rasp pi to somehow setup 2 different OSs that could switch. I want to run opencpn and venus. But each boots from their own SD card. What I am wondering, and forgive me if the terminology is incorrect, would be I guess to have 2VMs on single card that I could switch between, one booting Venus, one booting OpenCpn? Is this possible, and if so, how to do it.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 11:25   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Rasp pi: OpenCPN & Venus on single device?

It's possible, but might be difficult, especially for Venus. I am not sure if there is a way to install Venus on an already running Linux installation or if you need to use the Victron image.

Here is one tutorial, using one method. There are certainly other ways to do it:
https://startingelectronics.org/tuto...le-OS-booting/
Old 16-11-2023, 11:36   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Appreciate the link. This sort of does it, was hoping that I could leave both running and just switch, each one sort of running in a container. Did lots of unix 40 years ago, don't remember too much, know windows and would say i want 2 vms, one with each os running that i could switch between. booting on the pi is pretty quick, but it then has to load everything.

Actually, I am wondering if I can just read off my nmea bus to display on opencpn? Mostly looking at battery stuff from victron devices.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 23:21   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks. Appreciate the link. This sort of does it, was hoping that I could leave both running and just switch, each one sort of running in a container. Did lots of unix 40 years ago, don't remember too much, know windows and would say i want 2 vms, one with each os running that i could switch between. booting on the pi is pretty quick, but it then has to load everything.

Actually, I am wondering if I can just read off my nmea bus to display on opencpn? Mostly looking at battery stuff from victron devices.
You could probably setup Venus, and then install OpenCPN along with it on the same OS, just like installing on any Linux system. Although performance might suck, the pi isn't very powerful. Maybe it would be ok with the new pi5.

I think installing SignalK on Venus is unofficially supported by victron, so if all you want is to have everything on your NMEA bus to view on OpenCPN elsewhere, that is a way to do it.

Tags
enc, opencpn, single