Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 00:32   #151

Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Release 4.99.1426

@bcn : thanks - that was swift
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:40   #152
Moo

Another oddity, Under XUbuntu

With a dashboard containing data that updates the background changes from grey (for static data and some changing daya such as SOG and COG) to white on updates, this results in flickering.

A good test is to activate the "cursor" dash panel, let the cursor sit for a few seconds, grey background, move cursor, white background.

Clock stays white continously

Position flashes depending on changes.

In night mode the colours invert with the panels that had a grey fill becoming white and vice versa; very hard on the eyes.

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21   #153

When I hit the "v" shortcut and right click on screen Opencpn freeze and shutdown (Windows 7)
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:51   #154

Boat: Najad 34

Ivanm..
There has recently been a correction for the V function into the master code so it will probably be corrected in next beta. I'm using the latest code in Win10 and there it works fine.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:06   #155

Hi,
- Not a regression but when set by O zoom isn't bounded, when loading a big grib you can get picture 1, very hard on a low end computer, with the mouse keyboard it switches to background around 1:1.3MM

- Moreover there's an overflow/underflow dragging around the previous display end in picture 2 : notice the 1:176 MM scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lot_of_charts_2019-03-05_07-22-49.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	187227   Click image for larger version

Name:	overflow_2019-03-05_07-27-09.png
Views:	85
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	187228  

did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 13:40   #156

Boat: First 18

Pavel, Dave,

Regarding my issues with GTK3 on Linux, do you think it's OpenCPN related or Ubuntu related ?

Does someone have a successful report of OpenCPN using wxwidgets 3.02 / GTK3 on Linux ? What is the targeted combination for O5 libraries on Linux ?

Stelian.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:27   #157

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Pavel, Dave,

Regarding my issues with GTK3 on Linux, do you think it's OpenCPN related or Ubuntu related ?

Does someone have a successful report of OpenCPN using wxwidgets 3.02 / GTK3 on Linux ? What is the targeted combination for O5 libraries on Linux ?

Stelian.
What is provided by each distribution. On Ubuntu Bionic I have here that means wx 3.0.4 built against gtk 2 (Both are there, but this combination is more similar to the earlier releases we support).

Looking at your crashes, the first one does not even seem to be in wx, but rather lower, maybe in Wayland's X11 emulation layer.
The other one seems to be in wmm plugin, probably in https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...mm_pi.cpp#L593 (Never seen this crash before) and I would first try to disable it as well to se how far you can get.

I have done a little experiment on my machine, removed the the WX libs linked against gtk2, installed the ones linked against gtk3, built opencpn (nothing special, cmake -DOCPN_FORCE_GTK3 ..;make) and the product works as expected for me, so if I didn't see your backtraces, I would say it simply has no problem with GTK3 and WX as delivered on the latest LTS Ubuntu...

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 20:01   #158

In the latest build
MBTiles not working!
What is the problem?
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 20:07   #159

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
In the latest build
MBTiles not working!
What is the problem?
MBTiles work for me, what tileset are you using?
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 20:20   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
MBTiles work for me, what tileset are you using?
your own set of satellite maps from SasGis that previously worked without problems!
Quilting does not work correctly. Each of the sets is displayed separately and not simultaneously.
Old 05-03-2019, 21:43   #161
Marine Service Provider

Baikal....

As I have said elsewhere, there has been a change in the treatment of MBTiles in O5.

In the new design implementation, MBTiles are shown as switchable overlays to whatever base chart sets are loaded. MBTiles do not quilt as normal charts. They are still correctly georeferenced according to the established standard quasi-mercator projection.

This is seen as a workable compromise to user needs, considering the wide variation we have already seen in tileset structure and content during Beta testing:

a. zoom composition inappropriate, leading to crazy-large tilesets

b. transparency utilization inconsistencies

c. geographical limits specified without respect to tile contents

d. presumed accuracy unknown.

For well made tilesets of reasonable size and zoom composition, the current implementation seems workable.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 22:34   #162
Moo

A regression I think;

When editing connections the NMEA debug window is unresponsive until the settings window is closed.
Old 05-03-2019, 23:41   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Baikal....
As I have said elsewhere, there has been a change in the treatment of MBTiles in O5.

In the new design implementation, MBTiles are shown as switchable overlays to whatever base chart sets are loaded. MBTiles do not quilt as normal charts. They are still correctly georeferenced according to the established standard quasi-mercator projection.

This is seen as a workable compromise to user needs, considering the wide variation we have already seen in tileset structure and content during Beta testing:

a. zoom composition inappropriate, leading to crazy-large tilesets
b. transparency utilization inconsistencies
c. geographical limits specified without respect to tile contents
d. presumed accuracy unknown.

For well made tilesets of reasonable size and zoom composition, the current implementation seems workable.

Dave
Dave, I think we are moving back!

A working opportunity was implemented to easily work with large satellite maps via MBTiles.

There were no problems if MBTiles were allocated to a separate chart group and did not display all the available ENC, CM93, KAP, MBTiles in one heap!
Now there are two canvas maps, which makes it difficult for one to use ENC or KAP on the second only MBTiles!

Need a guide on the proper preparation of MBTiles. Similar to the ENC cells and their scale.
Large areas only as general with a rational scale of up to 10-15
I made the whole world of satellite maps up to scale 9, the volume is only 650mb, it was beautiful and clear. Now this map is not displayed.
high resolution maps locally with a scale of 17-18-19

Maps now do not apply a display scale and are always shown. This is a very heavy load on the PC.
Previously, I could place a low resolution map under a high resolution map. Now only the base map is under it and the tile cutting grid has begun to shine through. Looks awful! (screenshot)

The accuracy of satellite maps is much higher than it is not clear where CM93 / 2 is produced from and these maps are digitized from paper maps that have a rough reference to coordinates.
The ability to make up-to-date maps from the source of Navionics Web Charts, C-MAP and others makes MBTiles higher than the old CM93.

Add a wish to overlay the ENC point objects on the raster map above. The use of spontaneous maps with information of Navigation charts (depth marks, navigation signs) will further expand the possibilities of safe navigation.

Review recent changes to work with MBTiles
Return Quilting, who do not like can turn it off. Or allow it to work if MBTiles is used only in a separate Chart group.

About the large volume of chart. For Android and IOS, there are many navigation applications that work with MBTiles. They easily work with one MBTiles file in 8 GB !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	{A30CDB07-A5E1-4071-BA5F-801EE095DBF7}.png.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	187346  
Old 06-03-2019, 00:47   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
About the large volume of chart. For Android and IOS, there are many navigation applications that work with MBTiles. They easily work with one MBTiles file in 8 GB !!!

i think it's in nature like webapps requesting and processing tiles. Clients send a request to the server give me a tile with coordinates z,x,y and then indicate when response comes back with 200 code. if not, simply display transparent tile. Simple and stupid
BlackSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:17   #165
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Another oddity, Under XUbuntu

With a dashboard containing data that updates the background changes from grey (for static data and some changing daya such as SOG and COG) to white on updates, this results in flickering.

A good test is to activate the "cursor" dash panel, let the cursor sit for a few seconds, grey background, move cursor, white background.

Clock stays white continously

Position flashes depending on changes.

In night mode the colours invert with the panels that had a grey fill becoming white and vice versa; very hard on the eyes.

Chris

A screenshot to illustrate the above:

A second point is that the auto-follow mode icon in the chart toolbar never changes state as it does in W10 and according to the release notes. Just seems totally static.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash white cells.png
Views:	82
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	187348  

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn