Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 11:24   #1

OPCPN double Monitor Win10

Hello,

I installed the OpenCPN on a Win10 System with two Monitors.

I can stretch/expand the Windows of OPCPN over the two Monitors. After Closing OPCPN and Restart, the Windows will only maximize on on monitor, not over the two.

Í tried to edit the opencpn.ini under the Directory program data\opencpn but every change has no effect.

I tried the keys:

x FrameWinX=3851
FrameWinY=1047
FrameWinPosX=-7
FrameWinPosY=0
x FrameMax=0
ClientPosX=0
ClientPosY=0
x ClientSzX= 3840
ClientSzY=1040

I only change the x marked keys! Is there a full description of all keys?

The resolution of each screen is 1920 x 1080. My choice is splitscreen.

Have anybody a hint for me? I like this Project enormously! A very good work.

Excuse my bad english! I will thank in Forward.

Greats from Berlin, Germany

Norman
Kawanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 19:30   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: OPCPN double Monitor Win10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawanager View Post
Hello,

I installed the OpenCPN on a Win10 System with two Monitors.

I can stretch/expand the Windows of OPCPN over the two Monitors. After Closing OPCPN and Restart, the Windows will only maximize on on monitor, not over the two.

Í tried to edit the opencpn.ini under the Directory program data\opencpn but every change has no effect.

I tried the keys:

x FrameWinX=3851
FrameWinY=1047
FrameWinPosX=-7
FrameWinPosY=0
x FrameMax=0
ClientPosX=0
ClientPosY=0
x ClientSzX= 3840
ClientSzY=1040

I only change the x marked keys! Is there a full description of all keys?

The resolution of each screen is 1920 x 1080. My choice is splitscreen.

Have anybody a hint for me? I like this Project enormously! A very good work.

Excuse my bad english! I will thank in Forward.

Greats from Berlin, Germany

Norman
Norman,

If I understand you correctly when you click the maximize button in the upper right corner (next to the X) it only expands onto a single monitor. That is how Windows 10 works for most applications. In my experience it is a bit erratic in that the first time a window opens the expand window button will sometimes use both monitors. But then if you de-expand and expand again it will only use one monitor.

This is also dependent on the latest video drivers for Windows. So you might try updating your drivers if they are not the latest.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 00:23   #3

No, I expand the window manually over the two monitors without using the max button.

The software run's on a Lenovo Thinkcentre Thin Client with included software update for the hardware. All is actuall.

I will try it today again.

Thank for answer
Old 29-04-2019, 01:08   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

One monitor should be the main monitor, try hitting the maximize button in both monitors to see if you get different results. It's been a while since I had a computer with dual screens, so I may not be correct.

Also, look in the settings and see what is available for dual screen. I know there's "mirror" which you don't want, but if I remember correctly, you have monitor extension or something like that and separate monitor modes? One extends the desktop, the other separates them.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 01:21   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

You can only extend or duplicate displays with multi displays.

I've got a 1080p second monitor and a 4k main monitor and I just tried OpenCPN against MS Word for windowing behaviour and they are pretty much the same when it comes to restoring to the window position, but it won't maximise across two monitors and AFAIK, Windows has never done this in any multi monitor mode.

I think the best technique is to keep the main application window maximised on one monitor and display all secondary windows on the second monitor. I've just tested this with "Dashboard" as the secondary window and it works fine when the application is re-opened.

I guess a suggestion for future versions of OpenCPN is to allow the split screen mode to optionally split into separate windows. This would offer a solution.

I probably should add that some fancy graphics cards and their drivers do allow multiple screens to be combined as a single monitor, but this isn't inbuilt Window's functionality.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 01:30   #6

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You can only extend or duplicate displays with multi displays.

I've got a 1080p second monitor and a 4k main monitor and I just tried OpenCPN against MS Word for windowing behaviour and they are pretty much the same when it comes to restoring to the window position, but it won't maximise across two monitors and AFAIK, Windows has never done this in any multi monitor mode.

I think the best technique is to keep the main application window maximised on one monitor and display all secondary windows on the second monitor. I've just tested this with "Dashboard" as the secondary window and it works fine when the application is re-opened.

I guess a suggestion for future versions of OpenCPN is to allow the split screen mode to optionally split into separate windows. This would offer a solution.

I probably should add that some fancy graphics cards and their drivers do allow multiple screens to be combined as a single monitor, but this isn't inbuilt Window's functionality.
You also have two different size monitors. Possibly having Two identical monitors with same resolution may have different options, especially with external graphics chips(not on board/built in, I forget the proper terms). It's been a while since I had my gaming computer.

But thats good to know the dashboard works in the separate window which is huge, because it can take up a good chunk of the screen.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 02:03   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
You also have two different size monitors. Possibly having Two identical monitors with same resolution may have different options, especially with external graphics chips(not on board/built in, I forget the proper terms). It's been a while since I had my gaming computer.

But thats good to know the dashboard works in the separate window which is huge, because it can take up a good chunk of the screen.

Possibly, but I doubt Windows changes behaviour with differential monitor resolutions. Speaking of different size monitors, Windows makes life a living hell with it's poorly implemented HDPI scaling. Even more so if your second monitor is 1k.

While I'm thinking about it, for all you guys suffering multi monitor envy, Windows 10 has virtual desktops which go some way to bridging the gap. Virtual desktops are accessed using the Windows key + Tab combination.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 03:34   #8

A lot of the dual monitor behavior is controlled by the video driver. Thus you get different behavior with different video hardware and driver version.

I have a dual monitor system with different resolution displays. For sure, sometimes clicking the expand in the upper right will zoom the window to cover both monitors. Sometimes it only expands into one monitor.

I don’t think there is much OpenCPN can do about this question.
Old 29-04-2019, 10:41   #9

OPCPN double Monitor Win10

Deleted...

Sorry, wrong thread.
Old 30-04-2019, 02:28   #10

Hello again,

yesterday I tried different ways to maximize, nothing works. But is not critical, nice to have!

My monitors and any other config of the screens are identical, the same model.

Thank for your inputs, I will try at next the dashboard on second screen.

best wishes

Norman

Tags
monitor