Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 16:03   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
OpenCPN Programmer needed

for OpenCPN Plugins

There are many talented users of OpenCPN, which has a strong opensource programming community working on this highly recognized Navigation Software.

I am hoping that one or two of these OpenCPN users are also good C++ programmers willing to help to improve and fix some of Sean's Plugins which need some TLC (tender love and care) for the benefit of all of us.

It does not make sense for those programming OpenCPN itself to become distracted with these plugins because it will slow down that work. Therefore we need some new interested and experienced C++ programmers to contribute some time solving a few pesky bugs and perhaps making some needed improvements, of course experience programming for OpenCPN would be an asset, but not necessary.

Please PM me if you can help. I've been maintaining these plugins and building the OS tarballs for many years with Sean's help, but we need several programmers with a good C++ skillset to help solve some specific problems and Issues.

Thanks
Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 19:46   #2

Re: OpenCPN Programmer needed

You should post this on www.reddit.com/r/sailing
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 00:22   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
for OpenCPN Plugins

There are many talented users of OpenCPN, which has a strong opensource programming community working on this highly recognized Navigation Software.

I am hoping that one or two of these OpenCPN users are also good C++ programmers willing to help to improve and fix some of Sean's Plugins which need some TLC (tender love and care) for the benefit of all of us.

It does not make sense for those programming OpenCPN itself to become distracted with these plugins because it will slow down that work. Therefore we need some new interested and experienced C++ programmers to contribute some time solving a few pesky bugs and perhaps making some needed improvements, of course experience programming for OpenCPN would be an asset, but not necessary.

Please PM me if you can help. I've been maintaining these plugins and building the OS tarballs for many years with Sean's help, but we need several programmers with a good C++ skillset to help solve some specific problems and Issues.

Thanks
Rick
You should explain why Sean, the owner of these plugins, doesn't want to update his plugins anymore. What is the reason? Having no time is not an excuse for him since he has spend already a lot of time with you.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:56   #4

Thanks, I joined and posted to r/SailboatCruising/ but my similar post to r/sailing public draft link is only in drafts because it is not being accepted. Do I have to delete the first post?
Old 03-04-2022, 06:16   #5

here is what I tried to post.

Quote:
OpenCPN Volunteer C++ Programmers Needed

for OpenCPN Plugins

There are many talented sailing users of OpenCPN (Open Chart Plotter Navigation), which has a strong C++ programming community working on this highly recognized free and open source navigation software.

We are hoping to find several OpenCPN users who are good C++ programmers willing to improve and fix some of Sean's Plugins which need TLC (tender love and care) for the benefit of all of us. Sean has devoted considerable time to these plugins, but his interests are more focused now on his "pypilot", so his work on these plugins has tapered off.

The main programming team for the OpenCPN program, should not be distracted with programming the many plugins, therefore we need some new interested and experienced C++ programmers to contribute some time to solve a few pesky bugs and perhaps make some needed improvements. Experience programming for OpenCPN would be an asset, but not necessary.

Please contact me if you can help. I've been maintaining these plugins and building the Plugin OS installations for many years with Sean's help, but we need several programmers with a good C++ skill set to help solve some specific problems and Issues.

Thanks Rick

PS: OpenCPN Forum is available on Cruiser's Forums

This is about sailing, but is not being accepted as a post for some reason. OpenCPN is free open source software.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You should explain why Sean, the owner of these plugins, doesn't want to update his plugins anymore. What is the reason? Having no time is not an excuse for him since he has spend already a lot of time with you.
No, he shouldn't have to explain anything. The people who work on OpenCPN are all volunteers, working on their own time. If Sean has decided to move on, and not work any longer on the plugins he created, that is his decision to make. He doesn't owe anything to anybody, and he certainly doesn't need an excuse.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:59   #7

We are still hoping to find some volunteers to program.
Old 15-04-2022, 06:36   #8

We are very lucky to have two offers to help with plugin programming from Jordan and Werner T. Many thanks.

If you have C++ skills please consider contributing your skills to this collective effort.
Old 15-04-2022, 07:02   #9

Boat: Looking

I will definitely help once I have a boat and the proper context to understand the software. Semi-retired software engineer, worked at Amazon for 7 years. I'd link my GitHub profile but it links back to my real name because of some other open source contributions, and I'd prefer to stay anonymous at the moment.

I glanced through your issue list last night actually hoping there were some things simple enough for me to tackle without having any experience with the software, but it didn't look like there were any such issues.
GoodShipLolipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodShipLolipop View Post
I will definitely help once I have a boat and the proper context to understand the software. Semi-retired software engineer, worked at Amazon for 7 years. I'd link my GitHub profile but it links back to my real name because of some other open source contributions, and I'd prefer to stay anonymous at the moment.

I glanced through your issue list last night actually hoping there were some things simple enough for me to tackle without having any experience with the software, but it didn't look like there were any such issues.

Thank you GoodShip we will all be looking forward to that time! Good luck in your boat search.
Old 15-04-2022, 08:22   #11

Boat: Phantom 19

If you tell me what area you would be interested in, we might probably be able to find some not too complex issue related to it for you...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:59   #12

Boat: Looking

Well right now I know very little about sailing and boats, just getting started. So I guess if you've got something you could hand to a non-boater, send me a PM and I'll take a look.
GoodShipLolipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 10:57   #13

In addition to Werner T and Jordan, we have another programming offer to help coming from Dan104. Thanks Dan!

It appears that we now have some interested programmers with years of experience, to others reading, don't be shy, let us know how you'd like to help.

Here is the list of TP Plugins that need to be maintained and improved.
https://github.com/jongough/testplugin_pi/issues/177

Rick

Tags
enc, opencpn