Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 14:42   #1501

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN General

For example:

On the IPhone: https://apps.apple.com/se/app/vnc-vi...op/id352019548
On the PC: https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/d...d/vnc/windows/
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 01:11   #1502
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

RDP or VNC
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 02:59   #1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
RDP or VNC
I use vnc on all platforms - no problem just the tough screen interface is not fully supported.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 05:23   #1504

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I added a link to Tehani's description from FAQ Jumping GPS. Thank you. José Luis
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 12:59   #1505

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

No, I did not read all 100+ pages so it is possible my topic was addressed 80 times already.

My post:

This spring I intend to purchase a Halo 20+ for my boat. So far, so what. My problem is how to avoid spending $3K for an obnoxiously over priced 12 inch Simrad evo3 MFD. It seems my only options are Windows or an Apple display with all their limitations such as nits, lack of an RJ45 jack, pricey, pricey. Compare that to the many, many Androids that advertise having all the niceties one could desire at affordable cost. I did not mention the Rasberry PI that I know nothing about,

Yes.... I did read somewhere in the forums ''NEVER, EVER ANDROID!'' OK, I can understand that. However I would and maybe many others be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for an Android radar plugin rather than live with a substandard display or mortgage the boat to pay for a display.

OK......I'm finished. This is my bark at the moon day.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 14:26   #1506

Boat: Najad 34

foggy..
Android is fine since it can run OpenCPN.
However is the radar_pi plugin not developed for Androids.

My solution:
Buy a cheep (used) PC (with Win10?) most have a network RJ45 jack. The only thing to look for is a working OpenGL. The rest will be OK. OpenCPN is not that demanding. Run OCPN and radar_pi on the PC with all data (NMEA0183) connections you may have.
Use a tablet, A or Ipad, and install VNC viewer on both sides. Use the tablet in the cockpit and you'll have the radar view there as well.
Works fine for me. For performances I've a wireless mouse to the PC in the cockpit.
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 15:34   #1507

Thank you Hakan--

Yes, I understand I can get charts on Andriod. You can tell by my last, I was pleading to OpenCPN's program managers to weigh, consider whatever the right word may be is to develop an Android radar plug in.

Once upon a time Windows and Apple were the only operating systems. Times have changed. My belief is there could be a built up demand.... demand is maybe too harsh a word but once available it would become extremely popular even more so than Windows. All driven by Android's superior affordable devices.

I do want to thank all involved with OpenCPN! What dedication they have displayed!!
Old 22-03-2021, 20:00   #1508

Boat: Corbin 39

How can I install charts from my pc to OpenCPN on android?
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 04:01   #1509

Don't know if anyone responds to this forum any more but, I'm in the States and use a Chromebook. I used to be technically proficient (back in the days of a TRS-80) but am scratching my head to see if there's a download package that would work the Chromebook. The Linux, perhaps? Thoughts? Anyone?
rjlavallee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 08:06   #1510

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
How can I install charts from my pc to OpenCPN on android?
Your question is really not about OpenCPN, but more a general question about PCs and Android.

There are multiple possible ways to do this:

1. use cloud service such as Google Drive. Send from pc to google drive. Then, on Android, send from Google Drive to Android

2. connect Android and PC with USB cable

3. Use SD card. Save from PC to SD card, then insert SD card in Android and transfer files to Android.

I find method #3 the easiest/fastest.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 08:19   #1511

Boat: Corbin 39

Thanks million SV Pelagia that is quite clear.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 09:01   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Your question is really not about OpenCPN, but more a general question about PCs and Android.

There are multiple possible ways to do this:

1. use cloud service such as Google Drive. Send from pc to google drive. Then, on Android, send from Google Drive to Android

2. connect Android and PC with USB cable

3. Use SD card. Save from PC to SD card, then insert SD card in Android and transfer files to Android.

I find method #3 the easiest/fastest.

Androids have access (as I understand) to OpenCPN for a $10 app purchase from Google Play. What Androids do not have is an OpenCPN radar plugin.

I urged, pleaded for OpenCPN's programmers to develop that plugin. It was not about available devices, it was a request for a major improvement in available software.

EDIT:
WHOOOOPS!!! Sorry sv_pelagia, just noticed your post was not to answer my original. But there may be some benefit to my reply hoping to get more attention for a radar plugin.
Old 23-03-2021, 09:22   #1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Androids have access (as I understand) to OpenCPN for a $10 app purchase from Google Play. What Androids do not have is an OpenCPN radar plugin.

I urged, pleaded for OpenCPN's programmers to develop that plugin. It was not about available devices, it was a request for a major improvement in available software.

EDIT:
WHOOOOPS!!! Sorry sv_pelagia, just noticed your post was not to answer my original. But there may be some benefit to my reply hoping to get more attention for a radar plugin.
As I've indicated on other threads, I use and like very much OpenCPN on Android.

Slowly (but it seems surely) plugins are being added to OpenCPN for Android.

Untik Radar pi added to Android (who knows how long), you can use OpenCPN on a PC and get VNC Viewer for both PC and Android in order to see radar on Android, as suggested above by Hakan.

(Even with Opencpn on Android, it still makes sense to also have OpenCPN on PC. Not only a good backup, but it is easier to edit/create/organize routes/waypoints etc on PC. I use both, but usually only run on Android while underway.)
Old 23-03-2021, 09:58   #1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
As I've indicated on other threads, I use and like very much OpenCPN on Android.

Slowly (but it seems surely) plugins are being added to OpenCPN for Android.

Untik Radar pi added to Android (who knows how long), you can use OpenCPN on a PC and get VNC Viewer for both PC and Android in order to see radar on Android, as suggested above by Hakan.

(Even with Opencpn on Android, it still makes sense to also have OpenCPN on PC. Not only a good backup, but it is easier to edit/create/organize routes/waypoints etc on PC. I use both, but usually only run on Android while underway.)

My issues with a PC at the helm are numerous. I find a PC too clumsy, inadequate nits, tough finding laptops with ethernet today for starters. For use other than at the helm.......RIGHT ON!

Back to plugins, if enough people bang the drum maybe music will follow
Old 23-03-2021, 10:07   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
My issues with a PC at the helm are numerous. I find a PC too clumsy, inadequate nits, tough finding laptops with ethernet today for starters. For use other than at the helm.......RIGHT ON!

Back to plugins, if enough people bang the drum maybe music will follow
But the suggestions above are NOT for a PC at the helm! (Rather, PC down below, and Android up at helm: when not using radar, you run OpenCpn on and Android; when needing radar, run OpenCpn (and VNC Viewer) on PC below with radar plugin and Android at helm running VNC Viewer, which shows OpenCPN and radar.)

Does VNC Connect require ethernet connectivity? A USB-RJ45 adaptor is pretty cheap.