Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 14:41   #76

Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

In most android file managers for rooted devices you need to go into settings and enable root access and operations. It is not enabled by default and you'll typically get a warning message of the type "are you sure?" when enabling root file access and operations.

Some recent custom ROMS also have this requirement. So, don't expect just because you've rooted your device and installed a custom ROM there will automatically be root permissions granted. The android settings module is where you go to make the changes.

Finally, developer options are made visible by tapping on "build number" in "About Tablet" 5 times or so..."
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 18:47   #77

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK. Invisible. (folder data visible but not its contents).

But then again I was so lazy that I installed right to the internal memory. If this folder is important for access, one can install the App to a card and (failing Android tools) just pull the card out and view on a PC or Mac. (I guess)

Or just ftp the tablet and view the files with an external browser. (I guess)

Why is this 'hidden' folder important?

b.
Well, presently, it is important because all the personal configuration is in it. If you reinstall or update O she will look for this folder and set everything up just the way it was before.

But nobody "normal " should need access to it . However,I am "special" - I heard my mother say so when she didn't know I could hear
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 00:37   #78

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
joel383...

We would like to see the OpenCPN logfile. This is found in /mnt/exsdcard/.opencpn/opencpn.log.

If your device uses a physical sdcard, that's easy. Remove the card, put it into a PC, and read the files.

If exsdcard is internal to the device, maybe you can find and copy it with some file manager...

Thanks
Dave
well... i might have deleted some of the relevant data when I cleared the data for the app in my zeal to try to get it working that night(hey, I was in a tent, it was raining, and i had sailing on the brain...). but here is the log file: (remove .doc obviously)
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (1.3 KB, 50 views)
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11   #79

Here is the file post uninstall via app manager, and reinstall. Same results.

Where should i go from here?

I could delete the aforementioned hidden file?

It seems as though it would be advantageous to move the app to the sdcard via the app manager? Will this negatively affect performance? (I was mistaken in my first post it is not on the sdcard)

thanks for all you and the guys do!
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (1.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:06   #80

Boat: Örnvik 520DC
Send a message via Skype™ to Peep

I make also first test, look nice Works with CM93 V2 charts. Maybe some live tests in next weekend.
Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40   #81

good day sir/s;

i've been testing the OpenCPN for android.
on my samsung note 2 it open without a problem except during loading process it takes time. when i install it to my other smartphone (samsung galaxy duos) the app open but the chart is not loading (only in black) the position thru built in GPS and the buttons are visible.

is there any requirements to meet so that the app should load properly?

please feel free to browse the specs below. thanks.

SAMSUNG DUOS
MODEL NO. GT-18552
ANDROID VERSION - 4.1.2
TOTAL SPACE - 5.06 GB
REMAINING - 2.21 GB
BASEBAND VERSION - 18855DXANC1
KERNEL VERSION -
3.4.0-1324596
se.infra@SWDA2302#1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 15 23:02:14
KST 2014

best regards

vincent
vincentapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:14   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
Here is the file post uninstall via app manager, and reinstall. Same results.

Where should i go from here?

I could delete the aforementioned hidden file?

It seems as though it would be advantageous to move the app to the sdcard via the app manager? Will this negatively affect performance? (I was mistaken in my first post it is not on the sdcard)

thanks for all you and the guys do!
Joel, I've "moved" O to the so-called sdcard with app manager and it works fine. But in my case at least it isn't moved to a real sd card you can easily pull out of the tablet or phone. It is an internal "sdcard". NOT the one I can unplug in or out.
I have to plug my tablet or Phone directly into a Windows laptop to see the contents of this internal sdcard . I think even then you need to have "hidden files" seeable on the laptop.

Still, the advantage to moving O is that I can at least look into the ".opencpn" folder where I couldn't before, without moving O to it.
That's pretty much the case for "moving" any android app as far as I can see. The application is still deep in the phone but it's configuration folder gets moved...

Some apps will move stuff as far as the real card if you tell them to. I think so anyways....I am looking into the "Android" folder there and Osmand (OpenStreetMap for Android) is a pretty good example (if you happen to use it)
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44   #83

Quote:
joel383...

We would like to see the OpenCPN logfile. This is found in /mnt/exsdcard/.opencpn/opencpn.log.

If your device uses a physical sdcard, that's easy. Remove the card, put it into a PC, and read the files.

If exsdcard is internal to the device, maybe you can find and copy it with some file manager...

Thanks
Dave
This is what the phone looks like plugged into my computer
the names of the sdcards vary of course on every phone and computer.
on the phone "sdcard" or sdcard0=Internal Storage on my computer
on the phone "sdcard1" = SD Card on my computer

Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrabDesktop.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	103467

It is all crazy in Computerland. They should take lessons from Ornithologists, and Linnaeus' taxonomy. ie: A Glaucous-winged seagull is the same bird everywhere.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:22   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Well, presently, it is important because all the personal configuration is in it. If you reinstall or update O she will look for this folder and set everything up just the way it was before.

But nobody "normal " should need access to it . However,I am "special" - I heard my mother say so when she didn't know I could hear
Sorry, but you managed to get me lost. ;-)

I am not clear if you want the settings to stay or you want to wipe them out and start anew?

Because if you want to start anew then, in my case, it was the other file (the one we can see with some discerning browsers) that I had to delete, manually.

And if you want your settings to stay then there is no problem to talk about because this is what we get by default.

But I am 100% sure this may be Android version dependent (the location, not the file). I can only talk of the Android version we have here, that is 4.something.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:05   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Joel, I've "moved" O to the so-called sdcard ....
i guess my version has already done that by default, I guess my question is if i move it to the exsdcard, will performance be affected?

i can navigate to the opencpn.log file easily(my files on my default screen>device storage>storage/emulated/0/.opencpn/opencpn.log), the way i copy it is to "share" it to the google drive, where it is then renamed and then i can post it with my pc, or tablet.

I will wipe all evidence of openCPN and start again.

is there a hard size limit for maps?

android 4.4.2

samsung galaxy tab 3

edit: opencpn.conf is visible in the native file viewer too...
Old 09-06-2015, 23:13   #86

Joel383,
I had a simular problem, after changing settings in the user interface screen to often. Opencpn wouldn't start anymore, even after re install.
Fixed it by removing open cpn, and then removing the folder storage/emulated/data/.opencpn. That folder remains even after a un install.
On re installing the app, it started again.
Hope this helps.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk
Ido Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:23   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ido Nap View Post
Joel383,
I had a simular problem, after changing settings in the user interface screen to often. Opencpn wouldn't start anymore, even after re install.
Fixed it by removing open cpn, and then removing the folder storage/emulated/data/.opencpn. That folder remains even after a un install.
On re installing the app, it started again.
Hope this helps.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk
Yep. Same challenge and same solution found here.

As for chart size limit (chart folder size limit) there does not seem to be any. I use 'full' CM93 testing and another similar size folder with rasters and they all seem to work fine here.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58   #88

Well, I get that people aren't understanding everything I put here and neither do I but it does happen and in case it happens to you per my post #57:
after deleting the .opencpn folder,where I wanted a truly fresh install,

Quote:
...A new install (to sd card or later Moved to sd card) does not create a folder named ".opencpn" anywhere I've been able to see...
HERE is the answer that I have tested on mine and seems to be the case....
Reboot the Phone/tablet

per:
Issue 38282 - android - Android MTP support does not show recent files until the device is rebooted - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

I think you know you have "MTP" on your computer if it says it's a media device
Old 10-06-2015, 18:02   #89
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

About those files, and reloading OCPN....

We chose to put the OCPN "home" directory file on SDCARD, or equivalent, for at least the Beta test series. This means two things:

1. The .opencpn "home" directory will be accessible to all file managers, provided they can read hidden files, without root privileges. The card may (on some devices) be physically removed and migrated to a PC for analysis of logfiles, config files, etc. This approach give maximum flexibility for experienced OCPN users, such as the Beta test group.

2. However, this means that the OCPN configuration will not be automatically reset when OCPN is uninstalled from the device. That's just the way Android works. Imagine another app, like a photo editor. You would not be happy if you uninstalled the photo editor and found that the uninstall process deleted all your work-product (photos) stored on the SDCARD. Same situation applies to OCPN.

We should discuss whether in production it makes sense to use, instead of SDCARD, the standard Android app private data location, which for us would be /data/data/org.opencpn/{whatever}.

Using the standard location means two things:

1. Deleting the app will delete all the data OCPN has created, of any sort. This includes config files, raster cache, navobjs (tracks, wps, routes). You get a true cleanout of OCPN, if that is what you want.

2. These files cannot be accessed by any file manager or other program without root privileges. Even with root, they may not be accessed on some Android versions. So there will be no possibility to manually edit a config file, as Happy likes to do.

3. This method is considered to be "best practice" for an Android app, where each app gets its own private "sandbox" to play in. It is clearly more secure than using SDCARD for everything.

Or, maybe a hybrid is what we want. Navobjs on SDCARD, everything else on /data/data/.org.opencpn. Or some other mix.

I don't think we want complete configurability here. At a minimum, the "out-of-box" configuration must be sensible for most non-expert OCPN users.

Comments solicited.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 22:48   #90

Quote:
Folks...

About those files, and reloading OCPN....

Or, maybe a hybrid is what we want. Navobjs on SDCARD, everything else on /data/data/.org.opencpn. Or some other mix.

I don't think we want complete configurability here. At a minimum, the "out-of-box" configuration must be sensible for most non-expert OCPN users.

Comments solicited.

Thanks
Dave
I think you are on the right path with this one.

Or maybe a prompt to restore some or all of the old settings?

Average joe might have a problem downloading a file manager just to delete a file he cant see...

Tags
enc, opencpn