Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 07:11   #106

Boat: 29'
Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

Quote:
I will endeavour to get some screen grabs for you
post#100 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1846277

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-12-06-45-34.png
Views:	125
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	103631Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-12-06-46-16.png
Views:	148
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	103632Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-12-06-47-12.png
Views:	132
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	103633
the "solution" as per above is to keep rotating the screen portrait-to-landscape, which refreshes the screen.
and here's the browser...my finger works better than this "pen" but is 4x as big! ...Too hard to show sticky folder dragging with only two hands available but trust me-it does it.Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-teenybrowser.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	103634
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:00   #107

I didn't exactly say it out loud, but the "obvious" Androidy place to put o's data folder is with the rest of the apps...in
sdcard/Android/data/org.opencpn

Maybe
with charts in /charts1, /charts2,/charts3 or just a single charts folder that contains user created subfolders.."cm93", "mykaps" ...doesn't matter- O loads everything in the "charts" folder...but I am thinking chart groups are easier with the charts1,2,3 scenario...?
and so on per navobj, usericons,usertcdata....
Quote:
Furthermore I hate this tendency to unable the user to access to his own data!
Probably a difference of definition but the config file is really a system file?? because O's is the only "system" file I've ever been able to access on Android (unrooted need I say). android/google "Backups" are the only option for this, I think.
user data is charts,tracks,routes,

plugins are also system files? but they will have permission writing to the data folder.?
Old 12-06-2015, 16:16   #108

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post

(...)

"....If you update your Android to version 4.4.x, you will experience a known Android issue with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission: Android has changed the rules so that from now on no application can write to the external SD card anywhere outside its new standard folder Android/data/[PACKAGE-NAME]......"

It might be even more constrained with newer android...because
so far, even while Android Lollipop 5.0 offers to "install" opencpn to the "sdcard", I have not got it to do so on the external sdcard.

(...)
THX. Msg taken. I am indeed on an earlier build. Much as external card install not supported natively I had zero problem doing so as guided by following instructions and Apps suggested by the web.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 16:30   #109

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post

(...)

Why would one want to install OA on an SDCARD? Charts and Navobj, sure, but why the app itself?
@Dave

Installing to an external SD card - no particular 'why', in my case. It was a part of my experiments when trying to move another piece of software between two devices (that experiment failed - I was able to move that App, but not its database(=charts)).

I would think an external card is to Android what a USB stick is to PC - maybe some users like to have a hot-swapable mobile install on a card(?) Just thinking aloud.

As for all other details you mentioned I am following you. I think what you say makes 100% sense and should there be any pitfalls, time and users will show what needs adjustments, if anything.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 17:49   #110

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hi All,

I have been using O on my laptop for 6y, 3 continents, in and out of atolls etc, I consider myself an expert 'user', however I did make a big mistake on my laptop when I installed the new Beta on a different folder that the stable 4.0.
I did that, I thought, so that I could test the beta, and navigate with the stable.
Well, I lost all my routes and waypoints

There might be a way to recover them, but perhaps the old file has been overwritten.

Anyway, we should consider this kind of happenings in the Android version too.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:09   #111

Boat: Phantom 19

spiv...
You should be able to recover your data with no problem - OpenCPN by default holds 5 backups of it for disastrous cases (More about it at Navigation Data Backup | Official OpenCPN Homepage). Just have a look into the data directory, make a manual copy of everything to a safe location and then rename a good navobj.xml.X (size should be a clear indicator of which X to use) to navobj.xml.
But it should definitely never happen, so we are interested in more info - was there any crash? Can we see your logfile and the navobj.xml and navobj.xml.X files?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 20:55   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
spiv...
You should be able to recover your data with no problem - OpenCPN by default holds 5 backups of it for disastrous cases (More about it at Navigation Data Backup | Official OpenCPN Homepage). Just have a look into the data directory, make a manual copy of everything to a safe location and then rename a good navobj.xml.X (size should be a clear indicator of which X to use) to navobj.xml.
But it should definitely never happen, so we are interested in more info - was there any crash? Can we see your logfile and the navobj.xml and navobj.xml.X files?

Pavel
Hi Pavel,

thank you!
I found two good navobj 4&5, had I opened O twice again, I would have lost them.....

I now remember I had that prob before and Dave helped me to solve it, but I am becoming too old to remember everything.....

This is how it happened:
  1. run O V4.1.602 installer
  2. selected parallel install
  3. selected install directory
  4. selected create new data (I thought I could use the old data with V4)
  5. run V4.1 and found no routes, but I expected it, closed it
  6. run V4 and had a fit as there were no routes/ waypoints.
  7. used V4.1 for a couple of days to give it a test.

I now run both and I have all my routes/tracks/waypoints back in both versions

I attach the files you requested (I could only upload them with mp4 prefix).

Sorry to have hijacked this thread, any other issues, will post in the V4.1.602 beta thread.
Attached Files
There was an error processing this video...
Old 12-06-2015, 21:03   #113

Boat: Phantom 19

Stefano...
Please either place the files on dropbox or similar service and post a link or use .doc extension instead of .mp4 - the forum system now treats them as broken videos and are inaccessible...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 21:37   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Stefano...
Please either place the files on dropbox or similar service and post a link or use .doc extension instead of .mp4 - the forum system now treats them as broken videos and are inaccessible...

Pavel
Ok, the navobj.5 and crashreport are more than 400kb and are here.
Attached Files
Old 13-06-2015, 04:45   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Ok, the navobj.5 and crashreport are more than 400kb and are here.
I don;t seem to be able to upload ".doc" files either, so now I have renamed them to pdf and replaced the dots with -.
Attached Files
Old 13-06-2015, 05:01   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
I don;t seem to be able to upload ".doc" files either, so now I have renamed them to pdf and replaced the dots with -.
this is ridiculous, I am uploading "doc" and "pdf" and it says it cannot upload videos??
Old 13-06-2015, 13:28   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
@Dave

Installing to an external SD card - no particular 'why', in my case. It was a part of my experiments when trying to move another piece of software between two devices (that experiment failed - I was able to move that App, but not its database(=charts)).

I would think an external card is to Android what a USB stick is to PC - maybe some users like to have a hot-swapable mobile install on a card(?) Just thinking aloud.

As for all other details you mentioned I am following you. I think what you say makes 100% sense and should there be any pitfalls, time and users will show what needs adjustments, if anything.

b.
Count me in! I would like to get whatever I can of O's "usrfiles" on the External, actually-removeable SDcard too..and so would Viking Sailor, I think, who has some good reasons here (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1846287) for instance swapping the card to another phone or tablet...if the "paths" are the same it should work great from one "installed" O to another-maybe the "update chart database" need be invoked when the sd card is plugged into a new machine but that can be easy to remember if O won't automatically do it herself.

It is just easier, and has more options than having to plug the phone/tablet in and usually the Removeable card can be higher capacity, so all the charts can be thereon too...and loaded on via pc etc,etc,etc.

The android "complications" I've experienced putting stuff on the internal sd card (rebooting the phone is abig one) are not going to be any worse on the external card, I expect
Old 13-06-2015, 14:41   #118

On Jolla phone, Sailfish OS 1.1.4.29

Only problem encountered so far is phone's GPS not working (it works with all other Android applications). But connecting to UDP broadcasts of my boat's NMEA WiFi multiplexer works and you can see from the screenshot the AIS is working, too !

Closing down, restarting, I get maximum zoom instead of the last view.

Great job ! Now I am waiting for my Jolla tablet and hopefully reporting success on that also !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn_android_4.1.530_on_Jolla_Sailfish.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	103674  
Canne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 21:24   #119

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

this is my main problem right now(7" galaxy tab3), it takes 15min just to get to the folder to load dowloaded/saved routes from the import gpx button:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull;
But the fun really gets intense when I goto Charts and push the Add Directory button or tides etc.. and start tapping 1mm square folders...ohmeingott the teenyweeny confetti folders are sticking to mein finger! so I drag them away not up or down as I'm afraid they will disappear into the folder they overlap(it has happened) and try again...and so on
But don't get me wrong- I love it! Matchbox O!
can/should this file manager be auto scaled to full screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull;
Count me in! I would like to get whatever I can of O's "usrfiles" on the External, actually-removeable SDcard too..and so would Viking Sailor, I think, who has some good reasons...
me three or four...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canne;
Closing down, restarting, I get maximum zoom instead of the last view.
Me too. also, not in the last area i used
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 22:32   #120

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

a few more things:

It does not import .gpx from storage/emulated/0/download correctly(downloaded from google drive to local folder)... the route appears on the map, but the name does not show up in the route manager when you hit open to open the file. long tapping the route brings up a full screen menu with nicely sized buttons and the correct data.

I have waypoint artifacts everywhere! they are definitely not random, as they move in proportion to the amount the screen is moved at, and are usually in the same shape relative to the real ones, although they compress and expand sometimes. O seems to not know they are there, as there is no data popup associated when i tap them. they are

I will report via flyspray as per OP
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn