Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 02:19   #91

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
I think you are on the right path with this one.

Or maybe a prompt to restore some or all of the old settings?

Average joe might have a problem downloading a file manager just to delete a file he cant see...
Joel383,

keep in mind that this "1rst beta version Android version" is not for an average joe, from my point of view, this version is only for testing and certainely not for cruising.

Average Joe will have to wait for a stable version.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:19   #92

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Or, maybe a hybrid is what we want. Navobjs on SDCARD, everything else on /data/data/.org.opencpn. Or some other mix.
Sure.
It just depends on which extra features are to be included or not.
IE: Layers, extra Icons, extra tides, ... maybe navobj too, because there will be crying if the user loses their wpts and routes and tracks -so many do not back these up as "exports".....For these, O could create and thereafter search a non-hiddenfolder on startup. Like the DCIM folders that the Android camera makes in user spaces now. ...or at least search-for an optional usr created folder.

Also, either keep the present capability to export the log or write the log to that "see-able" folder.
I think that folks would find it easier to copy their charts and whatall into it thataway so that all their stuff is in the one place.
If this folder is also the default (or even the ONLY) search location for O's chart-loading dialogues...well, nice to get rid of the present default of data/data/etc etc etc -the user shouldn't need a ladder to climb out of places they didn't know or care existed to load charts.

...as to me editing the config file ;- it's a necessity with the present gui on a 4" screen.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:56   #93

Boat: a sailing boat

1) I believe on a delete (via Android App manager module) all files and folders should be removed, also that .opnesomething folder.

Maybe the charts could/should be retained as they are not coming with OpenCPN App in the first place.

In this case, a new install after a delete would result in a new install. This is not the case now (that is to say this was not the case with the alphas as that .opencpnsomething folder was retained and there was no way to get a clean new install (in some cases).

2) I believe on an upgrade (newer App version isnatlled over an older one) all config folders and files (if viable) should be retained.

3) To anybody who wishes to mess around and have their install elsewhere this is possible within native Android: one can change their default install folder (also to install on external sd cards, etc.) So there is no need for OpenCPN to behave in any way different than any other Android App.

Or is there?Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:42   #94

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

(Quote-Aiseag) sure but i am going to be doing some intensive testing soon. Aug 1 i will be coming up the inside paasage of alaska, my hope is to use the android version as my primary(i have many, many backups) navigation tool.

sent from my I-gloo
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:34   #95

Boat: Stephan, Mousquetaire, 6m50

Hello everybody,
Testing O on LG GTab 8.3 and Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0, hope this will help.

Major problem on the LG, route leg information window is all black so no routing at all.
+ After GPS fix lost, boat position is not updated, only if screen is tapped (same on Samsung).
+ raster cards limits disappear on screen zones, so does lights signals sectors (LG only).
+ waypoints icons too small (LG).
+ CM93 depths soundings police too small (LG)
+ Anchor alarm: no sound (both tablets).

Many thanks for all working on this O version, looking forward to replace my now old GPS, a ViaMichelin X-980T running OZIExplorer for Windows CE.
LG tablet is Android 4.4.2
Samsung is 4.1.2

Jpierr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:47   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
(Quote-Aiseag) sure but i am going to be doing some intensive testing soon. Aug 1 i will be coming up the inside paasage of alaska, my hope is to use the android version as my primary(i have many, many backups) navigation tool.

sent from my I-gloo
If the android version of OpenCPN is still under development in July, you can use OpenCPN on your android device in what's called a linux chroot environment. Instructions for doing this are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 17:49   #97

Quote:
3) To anybody who wishes to mess around and have their install elsewhere this is possible within native Android: one can change their default install folder (also to install on external sd cards, etc.) So there is no need for OpenCPN to behave in any way different than any other Android App.

Or is there?Cheers,
Not exactly, in my recollection.
This explanation from OSMAnd helpfiles:
"....If you update your Android to version 4.4.x, you will experience a known Android issue with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission: Android has changed the rules so that from now on no application can write to the external SD card anywhere outside its new standard folder Android/data/[PACKAGE-NAME]......"

It might be even more constrained with newer android...because
so far, even while Android Lollipop 5.0 offers to "install" opencpn to the "sdcard", I have not got it to do so on the external sdcard. I am guessing it might be because it needs to be like this?.... sd[some number]/Android/data/.com.opencpn.org
Old 11-06-2015, 17:59   #98
Marine Service Provider

jpierr22..

Welcome aboard!

I need more information, and maybe screenshots for:

Code:
 -route leg information window is all black so no routing at all.
 -raster cards limits disappear on screen zones
Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:23   #99
Marine Service Provider

Happy/Barnakiel, etc....

1. For my information:
Why would one want to install OA on an SDCARD? Charts and Navobj, sure, but why the app itself?

2. Android 4.4 was clearly broken in respect to SDCARD data. This is a well known "oops, what were we thinking?" Android 5 tries to fix this, with mixed results. I'm still digesting the implications of the new SDCARD policy.

3. @barnakiel: Surely we do not want an un-install of OA to remove all the OA-related data on the SDCARD space. This means that if you want to put OA on an SDCARD, you will need to be smart enough to use a file manager to totally remove OA from the device if so desired. Just need to nuke the opencpn.conf file, wherever it may be. Or unplug the card....

4. I propose this:
a. In (inaccessible) private data directory /data/data/org.opencpn:
..opencpn.conf
..all OCPN caches (raster texture, cm93, AIS targetnames, etc)
..Chart database.
b. On SDCARD:
..Everything else, by default.

This gives us:
A. Full application un-install capability, without accidentally killing the user-critical data like routes, waypoints, etc.
B. User-land access to common files, like alternative icons, tide databases, navobjs, etc.

@Happy:
What part of the 4" UI forces you to edit config files manually? We should fix this...

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 19:30   #100

Sure ^, that is fine! Only uninstall will require the user to reconfigure and that would be a good thing wouldn't it? at the beta stage particularly...
which brings me to the teeny 4" screen....I will endeavour to get some screen grabs for you tomorrow (PacificTime) but I am forever rotating the screen to get all the buttons (vertical)and/or width I need and then back to vertical to get to the OK/Apply/Cancel buttons...Particularly in the "secondary dialogues" that overlay the initial dialogue if that is the correct terminology...
ie: say screen is vertical...
I goto "Options/connections" so far so good ...Add Connection" now for an example, I'm going for the bluetooth. No problem scrolling the screen a little sideways.click the tiny boxes to search or choose the paired device -done!..but the Ok/Cancel/Apply buttons -well, no way. They can't be found. So I turn the screen sideways and I have them back. (actually O will crash when Bluetooth is really on and a gps is actually available but that's another story.)
Now, let's say I want to turn it off, from a sideways "landscape"start..same as above..options /connections/...I can slide the screen backnforth..unmark it-fine. But the ok/apply cancel buttons are nowhere. Sooo, I turn the screen vertical and there they are...
But do this wrong and the windows will shrink and things will flicker in landscape mode and you are stuck...is this hard to explain? You bet it is...
as to moving to another tab in Options, say, User interface, I must be in landscape mode to see all the tabs. let's say.."User interface". I attempt to scroll the page down-oh-oh the window shrank. Things are flickering. another tap and it's back. Well, I still Want to get DOWN to "User Interface Scale Factor Slider", so turn the phone to vertical and what a relief! nice big slider!...Hey! Wait a minute! The slider button isn't moving- the dialogue page is! try tapping. The slider moved all the way left. The screen rapidly flickers...
Had enough for now? "Cancel!" (and pass me that ".conf file" )
But the fun really gets intense when I goto Charts and push the Add Directory button or tides etc.. and start tapping 1mm square folders...ohmeingott the teenyweeny confetti folders are sticking to mein finger! so I drag them away not up or down as I'm afraid they will disappear into the folder they overlap(it has happened) and try again...and so on

But don't get me wrong- I love it! Matchbox O!
Old 11-06-2015, 19:52   #101

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hi Dave,

Since Android devices are so cheap (cost/durability) I plan on having multiple spares.

When a device breaks or is damaged all I should need to do is move the removable SDCARD to a spare device and continue on. There should be no need to configure or load data onto the spare. In other words the installation needs to be 100% operationally portable - down to the last bit!

Based upon the current discussion in this thread it would seem to be the proper time to consider this type of implementation.

Thank you and the team for all your hard work in making OpenCPN such a great piece of navigation software.

Best regards,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 20:09   #102

I just had an idea. Why not just make/demand the user put the charts and stuff in the named FOLDER of...
Quote:
b. On SDCARD:
so, no more browsing around by user. He/she/it puts the stuff in the folder or it won't be found. The only big change here involves Charts? , which heretofore have been anywhere he/sheit wants them and required that O be shown where they are...

It might follow, I guess, that O-And will have to update chart database on every start,but this does not take so long? Or versus that, the usr is told to push a button to update database, whenever they make changes to the "[whichever-is-O's-defaultfolder]/Charts" folder...

Add: there could be several determined/named folders for charts that O checks...as in ooh, I dunno, whynot /Chart1, "/Chart2", "Chart3" so command could be "search ./../.../Chart* or however it's done.
Old 11-06-2015, 20:16   #103

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

dave+crew, thanks for making this a reality. and sorry for not following through on my promise to test the alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Happy/Barnakiel, etc....

1. For my information:
Why would one want to install OA on an SDCARD? Charts and Navobj, sure, but why the app itself? portability?

3. @barnakiel: Surely we do not want an un-install of OA to remove all the OA-related data on the SDCARD space. No, but the option would be nice, in case something like what happened to me happens again. I uninstalled and re-installed twice, and had the same problem. I realize this is a beta, but in production, if I was out in the water, I need a way to nuke the app and add back items until failure to trouble-shoot. I would not have the option to download a file manager etc. If i can't uninstall and re-install and have the app work because it is tied to the bad config file... what good is it if i break it and i can't fix it?

4. I propose this:
a. In (inaccessible) private data directory /data/data/org.opencpn:
..Chart database. This is what screwed me
b. On SDCARD:

joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 23:54   #104

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Don,t forget there are a few "expert" options. Putting the config file in a no user access folder would kill definitely this flexibility.
Furthermore I hate this tendency to unable the user to access to his own data!

Sent from my D5803 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:11   #105

Boat: Stephan, Mousquetaire, 6m50

Hi Dave,
Thanks again for this work.
At first, I didn't succeed to put a link to a Onedrive source so, the screens where not published.
Here they are with conventionnal web site.

-route leg information window is all black so no routing at all.

-raster cards limits disappear on screen zones.

In fact many objects are invisible in the middle of the screen, note the aspect of depths unit when activated.
Reference to raster is for limits of more detailed maps when raster maps are selectable. Of course, major problem is with CM93 with the number of objects.

Here are two screenshots, I just moved the map and objects disappeared, ie the lighthouse on West.

Jpierr22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn