Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 14:08   #46

Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.409

It installed and ran on my Nexus 4 phone. I already have RNC charts on the phone for another program, so I went into settings and set that directory, but the charts would not display. I tried a few things, but don't have time to diagnose any further right now. [EDIT: I got the charts to display. The initial ownship position was far away from the location of the available charts. That's why I was only seeing the basemap.]

Pinch-to-zoom initially worked, but then stopped working. Then upon relaunch it started working again. I turned OpenGL off, then on again, so that might have something to do with it.

The most disturbing potential problem, which is why I am WARNING ALL OF YOU about this, is that it appears that the chart selection dialog might allow you to accidentally tap-drag-and-drop file folders into other file folders. This can be EXTREMELY DAMAGING, since folders that other apps use can be accidentally moved to a place where those apps will not find them. And it is VERY EASY TO DO because the swipe-scroll gesture is so similar to tap-drag on a touchscreen. I do not have great backup utilities for my phone (I just let Google+ take care of the important stuff content), so restoring these folder locations is a manually intensive process. To fix it, I need to navigate into every folder and see if there's anything there that looks amiss - which is often hard to tell because of the cryptic folder names. It's possible that this isn't happening at all, because it's hard to tell whether a folder actually got moved due to the small text size and flaky screen animation. But you should watch out for it, and find a utility to backup your folder structure before installing this program. If this is a real problem, I'd suggest that Dave find a way to suppress the relocation of folders in the dialog, since that can be so damaging.

[EDIT: I just got the internal GPS working. Pretty cool!]
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 14:32   #47

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-bee View Post
Fantastic software. O gets even better!

How did you do this? My device does not have a "hard" menu button.
Press and hold any of the icons in the toolbar, it should bring up the "Visible icons" menu

Also, increased the screen size to way more than actual. From 101 to 140 and now the toolbar icons are smaller and clearer. Tools>Display>Advanced>Manual = 140
Old 10-04-2015, 15:11   #48

Boat: Hunter 37C

Quote:
Originally Posted by B25Matt View Post
Installed on asus TF300.

Can't connect to internal GPS. When CPN is launched the GPS status shows up in the system status bat and fixes on a location but CPN doesn't seem to get it

I tried input filtering blank and with GPGGA and GPRMC but no luck.

Anyone have any areas?

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Setting / Connections / Add / Internal?

does not?
Correct, Settings/Connections/Add/internal does not work.

Note the GPS fires up because i see it acquiring position in the system notification area. CPN seems to not receive get the nmea strings. I tried deleting the device and adding it again in CPN but no change.

Matt

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 15:11   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
...Also, increased the screen size to way more than actual. From 101 to 140 and now the toolbar icons are smaller and clearer. Tools>Display>Advanced>Manual = 140
That setting is also used to determine the scale that is reported in the status bar. So putting in a false measurement will report an erroneous scale.

A better way to make the buttons smaller and clearer is to simply turn off Tablet Scaled Graphics interface in the User Interface Options. Then you can leave the screen measurement at the correct value.
Old 10-04-2015, 15:18   #50

Boat: C&C 34

Opens and then closes almost immediately. I agree to the use and it closes as soon as the base map comes up.

Slate 7 HD. Android 4.2.2. 1G Memory.

I am not very android savvy, so it could easily be me.

________
%
------- Starting OpenCPN -------
Version 4.1.409 Build 2015-04-09
wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 3.1.0 Unknown 32 bit wxQT
MemoryStatus: mem_total: 100 mb, mem_initial: 50 mb
SData_Locn is /data/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/cache/
Loaded Qt Stylesheet: /data/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/cache/styles/qtstylesheet.qss
PrivateDataDir is /mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/
Creating new Config_File: /mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
Styles loading from /data/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/cache/uidata/styles.xml
No styles found at: /mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/
No styles found at: /mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/.opencpn/
Metrics:216.000000;1.331250;213;800;1183;800;1216
wxGetDisplaySize(): 800 1216
Android Auto Display Size (mm, est.): 145.007
Detected display size (horizontal): 145 mm
Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
wxLocale support not available
Creating glChartCanvas
OpenGL-> Renderer String: Vivante GC1000
OpenGL-> Version reported: 1.4 glshim wrapper
OpenGL extensions available:
GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_blend_equation_separate GL_OES_blend_func_separate GL_OES_blend_subtract GL_OES_byte_coordinates GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_compressed_paletted_texture GL_OES_draw_texture GL_OES_extended_matrix_palette GL_OES_fixed_point GL_OES_framebuffer_object GL_OES_matrix_get GL_OES_matrix_palette GL_OES_point_size_array GL_OES_point_sprite GL_OES_query_matrix GL_OES_read_format GL_OES_single_precision GL_OES_stencil_wrap GL_OES_texture_cube_map GL_OES_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_stencil1 GL_OES_stencil4 GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_user_clip_plane GL_APPLE_texture_2D_limited_npot GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_APPLE_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_ARM_rgba8 GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_VIV_direct_texture GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
OpenGL-> Vertexbuffer Objects unavailable
OpenGL-> Using FastCanvas Panning/Zooming
OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
OpenGL-> FBO Stencil buffer unavailable
OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
OpenGL-> Not using Display Lists
OpenGL-> Using oes etc1 compression
OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (6:1)
OpenGL-> Minimum cartographic line width: 1.0
OpenGL-> Minimum symbol line width: 1.0
Error: File '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/chartlist.dat' couldn't be removed (error 2: No such file or directory)
ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 100 MBytes
Chartlist file not found, config chart dir array is empty. Chartlist target file is:/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/chartlist.dat
GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
Loading World Chart Q=0 in 0 ms.
GSHHS World chart files have wrong version. Found 0, expected 210-220.
Loading World Chart Q=2 in 0 ms.
OpenCPN Initialized in 6214 ms.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 15:39   #51

Good

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 15:47   #52

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
That setting is also used to determine the scale that is reported in the status bar. So putting in a false measurement will report an erroneous scale.

A better way to make the buttons smaller and clearer is to simply turn off Tablet Scaled Graphics interface in the User Interface Options. Then you can leave the screen measurement at the correct value.

Ok thanks for that...Status bar, but I don't even drink! Kidding, umm I guess I cannot see the status bar.
Old 10-04-2015, 15:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Great Start, nice work. I'm running on a Motorola Xoom Tablet w/o the cellular connection Android version 4.1.2. I have the other version with Verizon cell connection hardware. I also have the linuxdeploy version of OpenCPN running on both tablets. Which I use as my primary nav in the cockpit.

God News. Loads and runs fine, Loads both vector and raster charts. Internal GPS works with the same hack I needed for the linuxdeploy version. This tablet does not output NMEA sentences natively so I use GPS Share WiFi to create the NMEA on a localhost TCP connection and connect OpenCPN to that, works great.

Bad News. Cannot get the AIS data working through bluetooth. O recognizes the Bluetooth on the scan and seems to connect to it but no Ownship GPS location and no AIS targets. The data is getting to the tablet, I can use a Bluetooth monitor app to see the NMEA sentences, but I cannot see them in O.

CM93 charts do not seem to use anything but the highest layer (most zoomed out) When I pan to a place where I know there is a more detailed chart section, (Manzanillo, MX for example) it does not display the improved detail. Sometimes it shows blocky video with junk data in the blocks. I think I can upload a screenshot if that would be helpful. I can manually switch to raster charts at improved zoom just like in the regular version.

Best, Eric
Is your touchscreen working? Able to raise onscreen menu by tapping left, hold, right tap? Not working on my Xoom.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:05   #54

Boat: 29'

Not working here. I get a black box filling half the screen ...and futzing with it does not free it.

The log stops at;

"wxLocale support not available"

lenovo ideatab A2107A, 1ghz processor, 1gb ram, Android 4.0.3
It has gps,wireless,bluetooth and all other apps work fine.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:25   #55
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

wrong,
Yes, the touchscreen works fine. Single touches do what I expect, waypoint info, etc. And a long touch brings up the dialog box just like in the linux version. I'm not sure what you mean by left and right clicks, some of the VNCs I tried had that notion but I did not find itto be too useful.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
wrong,
Yes, the touchscreen works fine. Single touches do what I expect, waypoint info, etc. And a long touch brings up the dialog box just like in the linux version. I'm not sure what you mean by left and right clicks, some of the VNCs I tried had that notion but I did not find itto be too useful.

Eric
Thanks. Didn't think of using a long press. Works. Creating a route works. Text does not display.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:56   #57
Marine Service Provider

Folks....

re:
Code:
The most disturbing potential problem, which is why I am WARNING ALL OF  YOU about this, is that it appears that the chart selection dialog might  allow you to accidentally tap-drag-and-drop file folders into other  file folders.
 This can be EXTREMELY DAMAGING, since folders that other  apps use can be accidentally moved to a place where those apps will not  find them.
 And it is VERY EASY TO DO because the swipe-scroll gesture is  so similar to tap-drag on a touchscreen.
 I do not have great backup  utilities for my phone (I just let Google+ take care of the important  stuff content), so restoring these folder locations is a manually  intensive process.
 To fix it, I need to navigate into every folder and  see if there's anything there that looks amiss - which is often hard to  tell because of the cryptic folder names. It's possible that this isn't  happening at all, because it's hard to tell whether a folder actually  got moved due to the small text size and flaky screen  animation.
 But you should watch out for it, and find a utility to  backup your folder structure before installing this program.
 If this is a  real problem, I'd suggest that Dave find a way to suppress the  relocation of folders in the dialog, since that can be so damaging.
I concur with this analysis.
It is possible, with this alpha code 4.1.409, to accidentally tap-drag a system folder in the "options->charts->Chart Files->add directory" dialog.

I will do some research to find a way to disable this unexpected behavior.

Meanwhile, please be very careful as you add chart directories.

Also, OA 4.1.409 has been removed from the Dropbox download bin until this discrepancy has been resolved.

Thanks for the heads-up
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:58   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
...It is possible, with this alpha code 4.1.409, to accidentally tap-drag a system folder in the "options->charts->Chart Files->add directory" dialog.

I will do some research to find a way to disable this unexpected behavior.

Meanwhile, please be very careful as you add chart directories.

Thanks for the heads-up
Dave
Thanks, Dave. Your abuser-in-chief strikes again!
Old 10-04-2015, 17:00   #59

Boat: a sailing boat

This far, on Acer Iconia B1:

app instal: fine,
app start: fine,
app uninstall: fine,
menus: fine,
touch interface: fine

GPS onboard: fine,
GPS wifi: fine,
AIS wifi: fine,

CMAP: fine,
BSB: fine,

Notes:
- very slow BSB zoom and pan,
- slow CMAP zoom,
- pop-up windows too much content (results in too big windows),
- menu bar obscures too much screen,
- no maps bar available,
- occasional crashes when changing set up (but stable once set up).

---

Excellent job, excellent stuff. Does everything as advertised.

I will try to test some WPT / routes / imports / exports next. But I can only test file exports: no OTG onboard our machines ;-( (time to upgrade things I guess)

Regards,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 17:14   #60
Marine Service Provider

Hello testers...

About those toolbar icons:
The android UI guidelines suggest that the nominal minimum size for a finger press button should be 9 mm square.

OA attempts to size the toolbar buttons to this size. They are typically grown by rescaling the built-in (desktop) icons, and so suffer from scaling artifacts.

We plan to build native android tool icons that look good at 9 mm, but that artistic effort has not been started yet. All in good time...

So, for this test cycle, we need to know:
1. Does the OA default screen size calculation work for your device, resulting in 9 mm icons?
2. If the default calculation is wrong, and you override it in "options->display->advanced->Screen size", do the toolbar icons then show as 9 mm square?

I am not (yet) interested in whether you think 9 mm is too big, or too small. That is a design discussion yet to be started, not an implementation discussion. We will get to that soon enough.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn