Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 00:45   #1

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100
OpenCPN crashes constantly

I did focus a problem, when I did use 2 text-point files simultaneously.
First file is showing text and symbols, while the second file only shows text when the mouse is rolled over. Both files do have the same coordinates for the same point.
Instead of showing the text of the second file, the layer-information of the second file will be displayed.

Is there a way of changing the order, so the text of the second file will get displayed?

As well OCPN is not willing to close, when both files have been loaded.
Is that because 2 same-type-files have been loaded, or is the amount of data to much?
This problem also occurs with the 2 small files attached.

The original files were to big (over 4Mb), so only one bridge is attached ('Reitdiepbrug'), both files with dutch data.
The first file is:
'Example - 01-Brug en Sluis data'

The second file is:
'Example - 04-Bedieningstijden'
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Example - 01-Brug en Sluis data.gpx (1.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: gpx Example - 04-Bedieningstijden.gpx (1.6 KB, 23 views)
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN crashes constantly

58gschol...

A screen shot demonstrating the problem simply and clearly would be most useful...

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
A screen shot demonstrating the problem simply and clearly would be most useful...
Attached 2 screenshots, 'Bediening1' is what I see now (the small yellow box belongs to the bridge-name file), and 'bediening2' how it should be (on this one I did change the coordinates of the point, showing the yellow-text-block). The yellow block will be visible on 'mouse-over'.

The question is how to change the sequence so, that the big yellow box will be visible by mouse-over, having the same coordinates as the 'bridge'-file.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bediening1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	214407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bediening2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	214408  

Old 06-05-2020, 02:06   #4

Boat: Richter 42

Z ordering has never been asked for so isn't currently included.

I have just tried with your files and I used layers to accomplish this. You need to load the gpx files which contain the rollover data first then the gpx files that contain the 'always show' data. Then you will see the bridge name and the pin in the map and on rollover you will get the 'yellow' box which is what I think you want. If you can, try to use Layers (the latest version of OD 1.0.80 has improved layer management) as then you can import both temporary and persistent layers from the Path & Point Manager. If you have a large number of points it will avoid filling up the Paths and OD Points tabs.

I did get a crash when playing around and it appeared that a point had not been imported properly. I will look into this shortely
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:41   #5

Thanks, and inderad, it did solve the question I had.

However, unfortunately a new problem occurs;
Other bridges in the nabourhood are laid over the text block, which will apear by mouse-over. See attached picture. I was hoping that the textblock was on the top layer, so text of pre4vious layers as well as symbols were located on a deeper level.

Probably this is this the less worst problem; I am going to use it.

PS: the closing problem seems to be gone, after switching off the hardware acceleration feature.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bediening3.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	214509  
Old 06-05-2020, 11:08   #6

Quick work-around of the last problem; load the 'mouse-over' file as a 'permanent file' and make it 'not-visible', but also load it as a temporary file, while the other files are loaded as 'permanent'. Make the temporary file visible, and .......
It will put the text block on top !!
Regards,
Old 06-05-2020, 16:06   #7

Boat: Richter 42

The issue you are coming up against is the way that objects are found from the mouse position. There is a list maintained of all objects that ODraw creates, new items are appended to the end of the list. The list is continually searched to see if an object is near the mouse, the first one found is used. There is no check for other objects later in the list.

Based on this you need to 'create' the objects you want the rollover text to 'popup' first followed by the objects you don't want to have 'popup' text. You can do this by using layers, but if you are using persistent layers the naming will probably determine the order in which they are loaded.

At the moment if multiple objects were to be identified there is the issue of what to do with all of them. Questions would have to be asked of the user which would destroy the user experience. Using Layers it 'may' be possible to add some sequence to the z layering to order the layers which get the first interaction. But this would take a bit of investigation.
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:30   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

@58gschol
I think the title could have been more specific and descriptive. Something like
"Crash: Mouse Rollover messages with two very large gpx files" would have been sufficient and probably would have gotten similar response.

Thank you for reporting this, your title certainly attracted immediate attention, while actually misrepresenting the severity/frequency considering what the user was trying to do. What help is this title to users searching for solutions? They certainly won't search on "opencpn crashes constantly". Additionally how does this look in the forum? Yes there may be some minor issues which cause it to crash, but the team is generally responsive and I think bdbcat and jongough have been quite responsive.

Perhaps you are actually a "negative bot"?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:22   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Perhaps you are actually a "negative bot"?

Rick,

bots don't make that complicated things....
Edge cases are often discovered by people who want to get the most from OpenCPN.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43   #10

Smile Re: OpenCPN crashes constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Rick,

bots don't make that complicated things....
Edge cases are often discovered by people who want to get the most from OpenCPN.

Hubert

Good Point. ...Was just kidding. Does that remind you of someone?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:19   #11

Hello guys,

I did have a 'private conversation' with jongough, and I had to send some files over. And because I did not succeed via 'github', I did transmit these files via this Forum.

The second problem I has was that the system was not willing to close, and kept hanging.
Apologies it was not a crash, but more or less it had the same result; not willing to work further.
This title was an old issue, which I did use before, and decided to use this issue to get the files across. Perhaps a little bit misuse of this item and the forum.

Apologies.

Btw, the issue I had, is solved as you could read. Thanks to jongough.

Regards,
Old 12-05-2020, 02:31   #12

Boat: Switch 51 #10

I hope I may post this here. I could not find any place on the openCPN website that tells me how to do a bug report.

I am experiencing reproducible crashes of OpenCPN5.0 on 64 bit W10.
Charts Cmap93ed2.
I just zoom in and out using mouse wheel and I get a crash
I put emailcrashreport=1 in the .ini file but that does not work it seems.
Can anybody from the openCPN community contact me?
Kind regards,
A very happy openCPN user
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:05   #13

Hi Jef & Marin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
I hope I may post this here. I could not find any place on the openCPN website that tells me how to do a bug report.

I am experiencing reproducible crashes of OpenCPN5.0 on 64 bit W10.
Charts Cmap93ed2.
I just zoom in and out using mouse wheel and I get a crash
I put emailcrashreport=1 in the .ini file but that does not work it seems.
Can anybody from the openCPN community contact me?
Kind regards,
A very happy openCPN user
Are you perhaps using a Prolific driver, to connect a Com-port to an USB connection?

In that case you will have to replace the Prolific driver and hardware.
I did have the same type of problems, and decided to go back to Windows-7 Home-Premium, and in my case it did solve the problem.
It also had another advantage; Windows-10 was terribly slow on the Laptop I was using, while Windows-7 did perform better.

OCPN 5.0.0 is having problems with lots of Windows-10 versions, as well as some Windows-7 versions. For some reason the Home versions work better as the Pro versions, and Win-7 even better as Win-10.

Attached is a small table I composed during lots of tests, to tackle the problem.

Hope this will explain.

During 2019, I did use 5.0.0 with Windows-7 Home-Premium, having not any problem at all.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prolific errors.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	214901  
Old 13-05-2020, 01:20   #14

Boat: Switch 51 #10

Hi RGSchol,
Thanks for your answer.
Due to the Covid situation I am not on our boat, so the laptop is without any input. So it is not associated with Prolific converters.
I found out some more:
- It is associated with Cmap. I have 4 different sets of Cmap. When I switch them all off and just use the base map, crashes stop.
- It has to do with the location. This is specific for centering around the Marquesas. But is also happened some times when centering somewhere around Papua New Guinea.

- Sometimes almost all the chart turns grey with only some black land borders.

- The crashes disappear when I switch OpenGL off, and return when I switch openGL on again. I need to use openGL for our radar, so switching OpenGL off is not a solution.
So it might be that something in the chart around the Marquesas can not be handled by openGL.
Our boat is in the Marquesas....
- What happens: you zoom out one step, for instance to 1:500,000; then you get an hourglass for 3~20 seconds; then openCPN disappears. Restarting is normal, again on small scale in the Marquesas. When I jump half a world away, using "route and mark manager" by centering on another waypoint, the problem does not occur.
- "Smooth panning and zooming" is off

- This PC is my communication laptop, it is an Intel i5 with native Intel graphics. The old navigation laptop is on the boat.

- Switching off all plugins (including radar pi) made no difference
- I will also test on our new navigation laptop which we recently bought. The old one was 10 years old and too slow, and still on W7 and openCPN 4.8.8. It also crashes sometimes after a week of passage, loosing the track. The new navigation laptop (hp, i5, W10 home) has a non-native graphic processor. Interesting to see if this makes a difference.

Only in case this problem also happens on our new navigation laptop it is a worry for me; this communication laptop is intended as backup for the navigation laptop.
I post this not primarily to solve my problem, but in case it is useful for openCPN improvement.

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:17   #15

Quote:
I could not find any place on the openCPN website that tells me how to do a bug report.

On the website find Tracker and register. Then report it in the appropriate plugin task.
https://opencpn.org/

Tags
enc, opencpn