Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 19:45   #136

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2424 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Folks...

Query:
Anybody got a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF/AIS/GPS radio interfaced to OCPN for a test?
Is a GX2350 close enough? We're in the middle, flattish bit right now but will be back on the boat by mid-January.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 21:04   #137
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

After due consideration, I have decided to disable by default the "[]\" screen rotation keys, and all Menubar interaction thereto related.

There is an unsupported, hidden config option to re-enable the rotation keys, for geeks to find and celebrate if they want feel special...

So, we can now simplify and complete the Wiki description of keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for your patience
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 21:11   #138
Marine Service Provider

RD...

The issue with the GX2200 is the internal GPS. Not mine, and I have no access. All I know now is that if all GPS sentences are enabled (pp125 in the manual) from the radio, then eventually (~ 10 minutes) the Dashboard crashes. But I don't have a VDR trace to study, and might not be able to get one quickly....

Sure, the user can filter either at the radio, or the OCPN connections tab. But he should not have to. We should not crash on even really bad NMEA data.

Dave
Old 29-12-2014, 22:07   #139

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Who paid bdcat? He's starting to coral rhe cows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 01:34   #140

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Who paid bdcat? He's starting to coral rhe cows.

Rick..
I suppose some kind of pun? but please teach a non native reader.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 04:05   #141

I have a problem with a GRIB containing currents data from the OSCAR model (obtained via s/v Sarana service).

In OCPN the GRIB shows the overlay but no arrows and no tickbox for currents.

The GRIB is a little special, as it contains data just for a single point in time. It does not open at all in Zygrib, but opens fine with other viewers - Expedition, Panoply, MeteoExplorer.

I had no problems with this GRIB source until now - a new circumstance is that it spans now both North and South latitudes.

I am quoting 3.3.2410 here, because I did not manage yet to start 3.3.2424 on my Vista, sorry if not a new issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belitung_OSCAR_OCPN.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	94498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belitung_OSCAR_ELT.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	94499  

Attached Files
File Type: doc OSCAR-dcc6c7e4.grb.doc (17.7 KB, 54 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 04:53   #142

Hakan Untended to be funny. He said for ten cents he'd remove Rotate, which he did. Now he's bringing the stray cows home (finalize for version 4.0).

Old 30-12-2014, 04:54   #143

Cant edit -- "intended"

Old 30-12-2014, 05:03   #144

Boat: Amel Sharki

Since all the attemps in the past 2 years of optimizing OpenGL, introducing fogging chart display etc. the workflow of OpenCPN seems to be broken now.

As an example here are some screenshots of the Chart-Info-Window with 3.3.2424 and Windows-XP. I guess the majority of the users have Windows but it is the same with Mac OSX.

The Chart-Info-Window shows different informations depending if quilting is on or off. In OpenGL mode there are seen artefacts when the Chart-Info-Window closes.

I'm not able to show more such examples but I guess there are more such things.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ChartInfoWindow-1.png
Views:	112
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	94502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartInfoWindow-1a.png
Views:	177
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	94503  

Name:	ChartInfoWindow-2.png
Views:	105
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	94504   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartInfoWindow-2a.png
Views:	107
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	94505  

Attached Images

CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 05:47   #145
Marine Service Provider

Gerhard....

The first 4 images you show are not new behaviour. In quilt mode, we do not show the complete info window for a chart until the chart has been opened once. This is for performance reasons.

It would be nice to fix this, but we just did not get around to it. It did not seem to bother testers enough to bring up the priority.

On the last image, I do not know how to reproduce this effect. It is smearing of the "Hide this chart" menu item, I think. Do you have any more information on this effect?

Thanks
Dave
Old 30-12-2014, 06:12   #146

Quote:
Gerhard....

The first 4 images you show are not new behaviour. In quilt mode, we do not show the complete info window for a chart until the chart has been opened once. This is for performance reasons.

It would be nice to fix this, but we just did not get around to it. It did not seem to bother testers enough to bring up the priority.

On the last image, I do not know how to reproduce this effect. It is smearing of the "Hide this chart" menu item, I think. Do you have any more information on this effect?

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
what kind of performance you mean?
As you might see the cm93 chart is open but has different information in its Chart-Info-Window, why?
The informations in the Chart-Info-Windows also changes when e.g. the Options window is once opened and closed without changing any settings.

The smearing effect is with Windows-XP, OpenGL on and hooving the mouse pointer back from the chart info bar. Not seen with OpenGL off.
However with Mac OSX when exiting OpenCPN sometimes during the closing process and for a very short time a white screen is seen there are the Chart-Info-Windows seen before the program shuts down completely. So I guess the Chart-Info-Windows are not completely freed from memory.

Gerhard
Old 30-12-2014, 06:48   #147
Marine Service Provider

Gerhard...

By performance, I mean that we try to avoid opening charts that are not going to actually be displayed. Saves time and memory, especially.

The ChartInfoWindows for cm93 change depending on quilt or not. In quilt mode, we possibly have multiple cells at different scales open, so there is no single "chart scale" to display. All we can do is indicate the "root" of the cm93 chart tree in this case. In SingleChart mode, we have only one cell set of the single scale open, so we can give more precise information.

All ChartInfoWindows may change as the system internal chart cache changes. This is not a great user situation, and can be a little confusing. This could be fixed by Feature Request. Thanks for the reminder.

I will investigate the XP smearing report.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 30-12-2014, 07:10   #148

Quote:
Gerhard...

By performance, I mean that we try to avoid opening charts that are not going to actually be displayed. Saves time and memory, especially.

The ChartInfoWindows for cm93 change depending on quilt or not. In quilt mode, we possibly have multiple cells at different scales open, so there is no single "chart scale" to display. All we can do is indicate the "root" of the cm93 chart tree in this case. In SingleChart mode, we have only one cell set of the single scale open, so we can give more precise information.

All ChartInfoWindows may change as the system internal chart cache changes. This is not a great user situation, and can be a little confusing. This could be fixed by Feature Request. Thanks for the reminder.

I will investigate the XP smearing report.

Thanks again
Dave
Dave,
I'm afraid it is not correct what you say. As I wrote already the information contents changes also in the Chart-Info-Window when opening and closing the Options window without changing any settings there or without activating any other chart. There are probabely some workflow problems.
Gerhard
Old 30-12-2014, 08:42   #149

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave, Hello Anyone,

At the time of release, as expected, the 4.0, then I allow myself to ask for an adaptation of the plugins download page in the wiki.

There are plugins that are stable, GRIB, dashboard obviously, but also WMM, VDR for example.

Is it possible to do for plugins like the heart of O.

Part of the page for stable releases and lower, part of the page for beta versions of plugins.

This would, at some point, the developer declared stable for some version of a plugin while continuing the development of this one.

This would increase the confidence of alpha users in the downloaded version. Fools could play with beta versions.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:50   #150

Boat: Phantom 19

Gilletarom...
Only plugins considered stable by the developers (My wish, but the amount of testing I can do before allowing a plugin there is of course limited ) and not generating complaints in the forum are available on the official plugin download page.
They are divided by the version of OpenCPN they support. We will keep this schema for the time being, I will just probably remove OpenCPN 3.0 when 4.0 is released to limit the confusion.
The "fools" test the versions announced in the forum, which never make it to opencpn.org as long as I can crash them and they don't work.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn