Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 08:32   #106

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.1224 Released

Hello,

I followed the advice at this page: Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage on the Swedish charts editor: Hydrographica.

These are chart bsb3 produced with a license maptech.

Can someone tell me if the plugin NV-Chart (or plugin BSB4) can display these cards with OCPN?

Thank by advance.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09   #107

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello,

I followed the advice at this page: Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage on the Swedish charts editor: Hydrographica.

These are chart bsb3 produced with a license maptech.

Can someone tell me if the plugin NV-Chart (or plugin BSB4) can display these cards with OCPN?

Thank by advance.

Gilletarom.
Gille..
The BSB charts you can bay there are "old fashion" BSB handled by O' direct without plugins. They offer a free sample chart and you can test. Follow your link and in the text there's a link called: "digitalt BSB-format " and on that page download the link in the text part: "Klicka här och v". Those charts are located at around 58.57 N 0118.34 E.
Eh.. I've attached the sample file here. (Take away .pdf)
They're making nice charts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BSB-demo.zip.pdf (121.0 KB, 50 views)
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28   #108

Hello Hakan, Hello Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Gille..
The BSB charts you can bay there are "old fashion" BSB handled by O' direct without plugins. ...
Eh.. I've attached the sample file here. ...
They're making nice charts.
I have visited this web site and I have dowload the example and tested it before posted my previous post.

I seem to have read on the web site that the charts they sell are bsb3 format (even if the example chart is an bsb2)

So I want to know if the two plug-in available in OpenCPN can display these charts bsb3 format.

If someone bought their charts, a feedback would be welcome.
And maybe Dave knows something?

Gilletarom.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:45   #109

Quote:
Hello Hakan, Hello Dave,
If someone bought their charts, a feedback would be welcome.
And maybe Dave knows something?

Gilletarom.
Gille..
Reading there instructions, in Swedish, it's BSB with .KAP end .BSB files for every chart. The licensing is handled via a key to unpack the charts to a folder of your choice. After that it's your responsibility to only copy to your own backup and not copy to the world. There is stamp in the files referring to your license key. Since SeaClear and Fugawi can read the the charts I trust also O' is good enough.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48   #110

Hello Hakan,

Quote:
Gille..
Reading there instructions, in Swedish, it's BSB with .KAP end .BSB files for every chart. The licensing is handled via a key to unpack the charts to a folder of your choice. After that it's your responsibility to only copy to your own backup and not copy to the world. There is stamp in the files referring to your license key. Since SeaClear and Fugawi can read the the charts I trust also O' is good enough.
Wonderfull ... If right, I read badly their web site.

So I try.

Gilletarom.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02   #111

Hello Hakan,

I read this page : http://www.hydrographica.se/images/U...sanvisning.pdf

In ths page, it is questyion of licence maptech for bsb format.

Strange.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36   #112

Quote:
Hello Hakan,

I read this page : http://www.hydrographica.se/images/U...sanvisning.pdf

In ths page, it is questyion of licence maptech for bsb format.

Strange.
Yeah agree, but they say it's about there license to produce raster charts. I don't know any details about that. But still they claim the charts are directly usable for all known PC navigation programs. As you understand I haven't yet bougt one my self but I trust it will work like the sample.
And Gille.. you're of course welcome to Sweden to test the charts.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04   #113

Hello,

Quote:
Yeah agree, ...
And Gille.. you're of course welcome to Sweden to test the charts.
Indeed, one of my projects is to come this year sailing your ribs. But that is not what motivates my question. I assure the development of a French website about OpenCPN and I wish to avoid telling nonsense.

So back to the charts. For a few euros, I have a few cards to make a test.

Gilletarom.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36   #114

Boat: Wasa 410

I have been to lectures held by Lars Granath, the founder/owner of Hydrographica and talked to him at boat fairs.
He told me that they decided early to minimize potential problems for their users by not implementing any lock or "crypto" on their files. They instead print a small license code on the charts sold, individual for each customer, and kindly ask their customers not to spread the files.

This is very decent of them. They are a small private company that make excellent high scale (~1:10000) charts of delicate areas that are very hard to access for boaters using government charts.
As far as I know their only revenue is income from their chart sales - they do not get any government money.

As far as I know they have not changed their policy.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07   #115

Hello Dave,

In this thread, there is a post where you ask what you would like us to ask as a feature in 3.1.xxxx.

I thought about how it must take to create a layer with OCPN. Currently, delete what you do not want, or add and load only the necessary things. It is long.

The manager of Routes/tracks/WP/Layers, there is a button "Export all". With it, you can create a layer containing all the content manager. But if there are layers permanent, they are added to the new layer. This is not practical. Etc ...

Is it possible to add a button "Export all that is visible." It would suffice to hide without supppression everything that should not be present in the new layer and export only what is visible.

It would be a simple way to make gpx files which serve for permanent or temporary layers.

Gilletarom
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22   #116

Boat: HR40

Quote:
Hello Dave,
In this thread, there is a post where you ask what you would like us to ask as a feature in 3.1.xxxx.
Hi Dave , reminds me on the search function to search cm93 for places and harbours ...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24   #117

Boat: 29'

"The manager of Routes/tracks/WP/Layers, there is a button "Export all". With it, you can create a layer containing all the content manager. But if there are layers permanent, they are added to the new layer. This is not practical. Etc ..."
Gilletarom

It's not doing this for me, Gilletarom. When I export all, my layers are NOT included.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:32   #118

Hello.
It may be a bit nagging but I make a new try to discuss the ECRMC failure.
Quote:
Earlier posts #45 (P.3) and #103 (P.7) in this thread, .

Am I the only one experiences problem with the ECRMC sentence not accepted by the Autopilot? There are neither comments nor dissociations to my previous posts about this.

It’s of course possible to exclude the RMC and trust on RMB only but I wonder if lack of magnetic variation data can “fool” the pilot to not keep on track? There was a tendency to that last summer and if I’m right the O ver. 3.01 didn’t transmit RMC without explicit specifying it. Right? So it would have been nice to test what RMC can do. That's why I nag. :-)

If anyone have thoughts about this I appreciate. Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 20:25   #119
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

If your GPS produces GPRMC, then this will be automatically shipped to the autopilot. Everything on the internal multiplex bus will be sent to the output port that the autopilot is connected to, even if a route is inactive.

The only reason we "synthesize" an ECRMC is to cover those odd cases when there is no other source of RMC in the system, and the Autopilot wants variation, SOG, etc. This might be the case if an older GPS produces GPGLL alone, for instance, which has no var.

There is no "new" information in the transmitted, synthesized ECRMC.

The autopilot might be complaining that it is getting RMC information from two different talkers (GP and EC) at the same time, and cannot decide what to do.

Easiest solution:
If you don't like the ECRMC, then filter it out of the output stream of the port connected to the autopilot. Or choose only GPRMC and ECRMB for this port.

All this is different from 3.0.x logic. In 3.1.x, there is no defined "autopilot" port. The autopilot is simply connected to any available output- enabled datastream, and gets everything on the bus, subject to user specified output filtering.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 23:46   #120

Dave..

Many thanks. No problem with filtering but from an engineering's point of view: Why is the ECRMC creating an error? I'ts not because of EC.. and GP.. in the same time. I've tested, see post #45.
Is there a reason for the unusual format in ECRMB and ECRMC? I mean with the extended amount of decimals. See copy from post #103 at the end.

/Håkan

From post 103:
My primary thought is still field #10, magnetic variation, which contains three digits after the decimal point. (e.g. 0.200) This pattern I’ve have never seen on any other RMC example when I make a Google run even though nothing is found in the NMEA rules. The same is also valid for RMC field #7, knots, as well for the RMB sentence field #12, knots.
So, why does my autopilot then accept the ECRMB sentence even if the same pattern occurs there? Well if this discussion makes sense it’s possible that RMB field #12 is ignored because autopilot don’t use it and do not try to evaluate it?

If anyone can’t find another cause for the ECRMC failure could we test if it helps to use not more then one decimal, e.g.000.2, for the following fields:
ECRMB field 10, 11 and 12
ECRMC field 7, 8 and 10
The very first field $ECRMC is here #0.

Tags
opencpn