Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 04:01   #1

OpenCPN Android - version to link to SignalK

Hello,

I thought it might be worth posting a little learning I had this weekend whilst trying to get OpenCPN on Android to talk to SignalK running on a Raspberry Pi (OpenPlotter). The Pi is running OpenCPN 5.6.2. All of the data on the boat is being fed into the Pi and to SignalK which correctly feeds the relevant info (position, AIS targets etc) in OpenCPN. This will run on a monitor below decks but I wanted to repeat this information on an Android device (double DIN car radio inspired by others) in the cockpit. Logically I want the AIS data displayed there too and so I want it to get its information from SignalK rather than just using the onboard GPS.

I downloaded an OpenCPN version from the playstore - this was just the first link that appeared in the playstore with the correct icon. It was free - I didn't consciously choose to install the free version but I expect it has more downloads so google put it at the top of the search list. I spent several hours this weekend fighting with various settings to try to get the data from SignalK to feed to the android open CPN via TCP and or UDP, without success. Google wasn't particularly helpful as there is a lot of information about how to do this but it doesn't all relate to the latest versions etc. Then I had an epiphany - there was a newer version of OpenCPN Android. How was that possible, I had only installed it today from the playstore which should always give you the newest version? A big more digging and scrolling - and there was a paid open CPN version (5.6.2) listed as developed by David Register.

Having uninstalled the old version and installed the paid app I was up and running within 5 minutes. It feels this is the sort of mistake many a noobie could slip into and so I thought posting about it here would be helpful as google might find it and guide users looking to have both an Android and Raspberry Pi version of Open CPN sharing the same data sources.

Now time for a question? If I am below deck and plan a nice route on a large screen with a mouse and keyboard, I'd like to transfer that route to the Android version in the cockpit to actually follow. Any thoughts on the simplest way to do that? (If it makes and difference, I don't currently have an autopilot, but am looking to add one at some point).
moonbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 10:56   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN Android - version to link to SignalK

moonbug..
OpenCPN version 5.8 coming up will include a (IP network) route transfer method between OCPN instances on the same local network. Development for this is ongoing by the developers. Please stay tuned.
BTW: The free Android OpenCPN is very old and not maintained. Dave Register's is the real version. The fee is to stand Google and similar costs. Cheep for such a well developed app. Once bought to your Google account it's valid for all your A-devices. Splendid!
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 11:20   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbug View Post
Hello,
Now time for a question? If I am below deck and plan a nice route on a large screen with a mouse and keyboard, I'd like to transfer that route to the Android version in the cockpit to actually follow. Any thoughts on the simplest way to do that? (If it makes and difference, I don't currently have an autopilot, but am looking to add one at some point).
It's not ideal, but my current process is that I export the route on my computer, put it in Google Drive, then on the tablet I download it from Drive, move it to a directory OpenCPN can see (since the latest version it's very limited) using an app that can see system files (don't remember the name), and finally in OpenCPN I import the route.

I'm really looking forwards to OpenCPN 5.8 if we can just send routes over the network!
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 16:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
moonbug..
OpenCPN version 5.8 coming up will include a (IP network) route transfer method between OCPN instances on the same local network. Development for this is ongoing by the developers. Please stay tuned.
BTW: The free Android OpenCPN is very old and not maintained. Dave Register's is the real version. The fee is to stand Google and similar costs. Cheep for such a well developed app. Once bought to your Google account it's valid for all your A-devices. Splendid!
Thanks for that - I'm looking forward to 5.8 then!

I've no objection to paying for the app - I just wanted to make sure others didn't fall into the trap.
Old 09-11-2022, 16:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilecantin View Post
It's not ideal, but my current process is that I export the route on my computer, put it in Google Drive, then on the tablet I download it from Drive, move it to a directory OpenCPN can see (since the latest version it's very limited) using an app that can see system files (don't remember the name), and finally in OpenCPN I import the route.
OK - that's going to be a nuisance if there is no internet connectivity.

Tags
enc, opencpn