Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2023, 21:21   #16

Re: OpenCPN and Garmin radar 18 HD+

Trying to get 18 HD+ going with 5.6.2 and latest radar Pi plugin.

Got IP address and mask set correctly, plugged in directly via Ethernet. This is not normal behavior, right? It's just stuck on scanning and nothing happens. However, the network connection is established.

Any ideas?
seek_solice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:46   #17

Boat: Najad 34

For a start: Did you followed the connection method in the manual?

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...-(Garmin).html
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 07:37   #18

Sula..
You can make a direct connection if you want. You've read the manual, right?
To get rid of any cable crossover issues a switch can be handy.

There would be 12V powered switches. This 5 port Netgear GS105? (Metal cased)
Also others with a AC power plug can be 12V.
Old 26-09-2023, 04:28   #19
Pym

Hi everyone

I'm very interested in the discussion.
Thanks to all people that makes this possible.

I just bought one 18 HD+.

After reading the docs about how to connect, finally the key matter is the pin 5 of the ethernet.
This pin is normally not used (with the exception of some POE adaptors)

Garmin uses the connection of this pin to ground to activate the devices in his “private” network segment of
IP address: 172.16.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.240.0
One solution is the amphenol plug that allows to pick the pin 5 and then derivate to an small switch, but with several devices complicates everything.

I’m gonna investigate another way: the use of a small and cheap switch as

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Desktop/Wall-Mount, Steel Case
19€ at Amazon[/B]

My goal is to weld an small wire to the four first ethernet ports at their pin 5 connection (easy once disassembled) and let one port untouched

Is relatively easy to put a mechanical micro switch just at the place of the back small hole and let the 4 ports pin 5 be derived to earth when on.

I have to make tests but the intention would be to re-create an expensive Garmin switch with a ultra cheap tplink and avoid the amphenol connectors.

This solution has to be proved but theoretically could allow to connect several Garmin peripheric devices (4) and one free.
I will let one port as it was originally to connect it to PC or routers (the pin 5 will be always free)
And it is important to avoid POE sources to this because can lead to earth and burn the chips

I’ll keep you informed
Pym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 20:07   #20

Hi Folks
Seeing if I can get some thoughts in helping me troubleshoot my Garmin 18HD installation with OpenCPN.
I did read the docs in the manual.
I have the Amphenol connector (via Digikey) soldered with a rocker switch on pin 5 to chassis ground. Same as in the picture. I didn't realize the pinout of a RJ45 actually doesn't have a ground.
My configuration is:
Pi4 running OpenCPN. Configured ethernet port to use 172.16.1.1 with netmask 255.255.240.0. It is slightly different process as it uses SystemD for networking.
Standard ethernet cable out of the Pi4 to the Amphenol MRJ-5780-01.
Garmin ethernet cable to the Garmin 18HD.
Power to Garmin 18HD from benchtop supply at 12.6V with 7Amps capacity.
I have tried it with turning the complete system on (Pi, radar) with the switch closed. No radar turning on to standby.
Tried Pi4 up and running. Then turn on power to Garmin. Then close switch. No radar turning on to standby.
I did test it with a 'new to me' Garmin 4208 from eBay and I can get the radar to go into standby mode and transmit mode, so know the radar is working.
Would appreciate any advice on what I am missing as want to use it without having an MFD in the mix.
Thanks in advance, James
Breezing, Catalina 30
Halifax, NS
boardfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 10:51   #21

Boat: OVNI 345 Stranizza

Hi to everybody
we are in trouble with the installation of a Garmin 18 HD+ with the plugin in OpenCpn.
We made everything by the book, read all possible manuals, plugin's manual , install a switch by Amphenol on pin 5, insert ID 176.16.1.1 netmask 255.255.240.0.
On the screen appear only the circle of the radar , but the radar actually is not working.
Is not totally correct, probably the radar is working, we saw the green flash light on the back and I can see an electrical absorption of about 1.5 A, when we activate the switch , but nothing appear on the screen of OpenCpn.
Any suggestions is more than welcome
Thanks Angelo, S/Y Stranizza Ovni 345
Stranizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranizza View Post
On the screen appear only the circle of the radar
I'm not sure what you mean with that?
In radar_pi

Which radar type did you chose?
What says the Info window. Did it found the radar?
Canvas right click: "Show radar" or "Control Garmin... What's for the "Stand by button" Active or grey?
Old 02-03-2024, 00:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with that?
In radar_pi

Which radar type did you chose?
What says the Info window. Did it found the radar?
Canvas right click: "Show radar" or "Control Garmin... What's for the "Stand by button" Active or grey?
I am using OpenCpn 5.8 with plug in Radar v5.5.0 ,and selected Garmin HD e Garmin XHD as shows on the attach the button on the bar shows NO CONNECTION, even if on the radar dome I can see a green flashing light (radar is working) and when I switch the Amphenol the electrical absorption increase of 1 A, probably the radar is turning but no connection with OpenCpn.
P.S. the screen shot is been made from my PC at home and not from the PC on the boat with the radar connected.But the situation is the same apart that the IP is 172.16.1.1 and the mask 255.255.240.1
Rgds Angelo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Print screen.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	287085  
Old 02-03-2024, 01:06   #24

First of all you need a working IP connection. I see from your shot there's a wifi connection on the PC but what about a wired connection? You need to see a "Unidentified network - No internet connection".
An IP- switch in between may exclude any possible need for a crossed or not crossed IP-cable.

I've not used any Garmin scanner so I lack experience and just shot i the dark here.
Once you have a valid IP-connection to the scanner you may have to test both Garmin HD and Garmin xHD types.
There's a never radar plugin version as a beta release. In OCPN Options->Plugins you can use button "Settings.." and chose Select plugin catalog "Beta".
Then update catalog Beta and look for an update to Radar_pi.
Note: To be able to use "Settings.." you may need to tweak you config file as messaged. For your opencpn.ini location use Tools->About OpenCPN (Icon:?).
Close OCPN and add to:
Code:
[PlugIns]
CatalogExpert=1
Old 05-03-2024, 08:37   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Issue solved for Stranizza!
The problem was the Windows Firewall blocking the traffic received from the radar.
Once temporarily disabled the firewall, the radar came to life.

I would like to underline that the IP address that worked is 172.16.2.1 with a netmask of 255.255.240.0.

Furthermore the Amphenol connector picture with the switch is wrong.
The one into the manual shows a soldered wire on pin 4, it should be soldered on pin 5 (the Amphenol connector datasheet shows where it is).

I hope this can be of help for the community.
pacmanmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:54   #26
Marine Service Provider

Please explain further:
"Furthermore the Amphenol connector picture with the switch is wrong.
The one into the manual shows a soldered wire on pin 4, it should be soldered on pin 5 (the Amphenol connector datasheet shows where it is)."

Many, many users have implemented this switch arrangement as photographed, including me. So I am confused by this statement.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:04   #27

Thanks to the help of Pacmanmt , finally we solve the problem , as per attach the final image of the radar display and the overlay of the map thanks to the connection with Nmea 0183 coming from the Core Pack S2 of the autopilot.
Thanks to everybody
Angelo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar working.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	287299  
Old 05-03-2024, 10:13   #28

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Glad you got it working.

My radar just started intermittently not working. I found out that the ethernet joining in the binnacle was corroding. I am now going to hard wire the ethernet cables (to the "on" position), and use the switch and OpenCPN to turn on/off the radar.

Note that the radar sometimes wouldnt be 'found' by opencpn, othertimes it would run but not be able to be turned off. so just an FYI of the failure modes for anyone in the future.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:37   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Please explain further:
"Furthermore the Amphenol connector picture with the switch is wrong.
The one into the manual shows a soldered wire on pin 4, it should be soldered on pin 5 (the Amphenol connector datasheet shows where it is)."

Many, many users have implemented this switch arrangement as photographed, including me. So I am confused by this statement.

Thanks
Dave

We have tried to solder as per the picture but it was not working for us.
The picture shows the solder on the lower row and per the Amphenol datasheet that one is pin 4.
I don't know why...
pacmanmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18 HD+, enc, garmin, opencpn, radar