Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 03:56   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Open CPN on Paperwhite Display?

So, I have never looked at openCPN. Why? Because of all of the threads I see on here about why it does not work for people.

My plan for this boat was to get an iPad and use iNavX. It works. Always. Never crashes, always installs, works perfectly.

However, the iPad seems like it is going to be lacking in terms of a sunlight display.

This makes me think about using a Kindle paperwhite tablet, which puts me squarely in android territory. This eliminates iNavX.

First, do you feel like open CPN is stable now? It’s been out a long time. But I see nothing but problems on this board about it.

Second, what are your feelings about a monochrome display to display raster charts? I like to use those and will not be moving to ENCs, even though I have ENCs a shot for one year. I feel like you could lose a lot without having color on your charts.

Could that work? Amazon Kindle paperwhite, open CPN, raster charts.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:14   #2

Boat: Tamarisk 29
Re: Open CPN on Paperwhite Display?

The refresh rate is very low (~15s) for eink displays.
chrismiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:31   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller View Post
The refresh rate is very low (~15s) for eink displays.
Good point. That could get annoying when trying to follow a course with hand steering or to get the auto pilot tuned in.

Maybe it would be better to just shield the iPad from direct sunlight. Thanks for that reminder on the slow refresh rate.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:41   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Paperwhite works for very little other than reading, due to the slow screen. Any sort of animation or movement basically can't happen.

It's worth noting that OpenCPN works for many people without any issues. You get a false sense from here because people mostly post asking for help, not to report that it works.

I had minor issues with iNavX that made it unusable for me. It's too hard to generalize on software that works for everyone and one that doesn't.

You might as well download OpenCPN for your PC, figure out how to get the charts you need (sometimes a curve there depending on what charts you need) and try it out. If it works for you then you can look at what tablet would be best for it.
Old 07-10-2020, 13:54   #5

Boat: Najad 34

chotu..
re: "Second, what are your feelings about a monochrome display to display raster charts? I like to use those and will not be moving to ENCs, even though I have ENCs a shot for one year. I feel like you could lose a lot without having color on your charts.
Could that work? Amazon Kindle paperwhite, open CPN, raster charts. "
No not really but it would be a nice sunlight independent screen. But I think the screen update rate is to slow to show a moving theater as any navigational program is. It's good for text or other "static" views. There though are examples of using this screens for (slow) instruments like wind and boat speed. E.g a HTML pictures from SignalK.

And, as other says here. My veiw: OCPN is the best navigational program available. The discussions here are also outstanding. All thousands of user that are not here don't need because it's working fine for them. And they may also Read The Fine Manual?

Have you ever seen a Garmin, or other similar, forum where the users are discussing and get help and also gives ideas for further development like this?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 14:42   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You must be on another forum than me :-)

I hear a LOT of good things about OpenCPN.
For us it works very well and reliable.
Most issues people mention are related to interfacing it with external components of numerous brands, ages and models.

Most of the times those issues can be resolved by the great support of the forum and developers. This is often better and faster support than what you get out of commercial package support.

Regarding monochrome displays for charts, it can be done, but in my eyes you lose a lot of information if you where to use it as a chart plotter.

A guy here is developing instruments with E-ink displays:
http://open-boat-projects.org/

No idea about a Kindle using OpenCPN though.

Tags
open cpn