Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 04:16   #61

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Well there are a bunch of things I'd like to do.
Radar - gain or broadband
Ais
Nmea instruments
Eventually ham
These items kind of ask for a built in mini computer I think.

Also there is a lot of pc programs I would have to get away from, so maybe I put those programs on the builtin boat conputer.

Then the rooted tablet becomes the opencpn cockpit / under dodger computer.
I don't think this computer would handle radar and ais and nmea wirelessly do you?
(Nearly) all this is already done on tablets and no root is required. Look at Apps that repeat plotter's content. They also let you control the AP, etc. I think all major brands have them. Now, if they can, means that the hardware is strong enough for anything you want.

Ham - no idea, search on, sure this has been addressed already on the web.

Depending on what software you want on that "base station PC", you may need a Win, a Linux or an iThing machine. But maybe none if you find an App alternative. There are Android netbooks where we live too. (And now, Chrome too).

So, in a word, the hardware is there to use it NOW. It is all in the software where the decisions are made.

I would be most happy to see even a raw version of Android OpenCPN but if it does not come along, someone else will address the issue soon. No worries.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 04:17   #62

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks guys, its really pretty simple isn't it. Do what you can and try not to spend too much because it will change. My 21 year old (1993) radar still works so maybe I use it another year and just get something low powered (with opengl) under liinux with Opencpn + Instruments + rig up that RTL dongle for AIS. And just see how it goes.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:42   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
(Nearly) all this is already done on tablets and no root is required. Look at Apps that repeat plotter's content. They also let you control the AP, etc. I think all major brands have them. Now, if they can, means that the hardware is strong enough for anything you want.

Ham - no idea, search on, sure this has been addressed already on the web.

Depending on what software you want on that "base station PC", you may need a Win, a Linux or an iThing machine. But maybe none if you find an App alternative. There are Android netbooks where we live too. (And now, Chrome too).

So, in a word, the hardware is there to use it NOW. It is all in the software where the decisions are made.

I would be most happy to see even a raw version of Android OpenCPN but if it does not come along, someone else will address the issue soon. No worries.

b.
You don't need an android tablet to learn which apps are available from Google Play that may extend the usefullness of your device. Peruse Google Play with your P.C.. I don't have all the toys some sailors want to use on their boats, so aside from an interest in whether or not an external g.p.s. can be used (and they can) in OpenCPN, I have not been in a position to test other devices like ais and radar.

My hope all along has been other sailors who have successfully employed my method for using OpenCPN on androids, and who have these toys would strike out on their own and try.

I am confident more is possible than your average denier would ever believe.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:19   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You don't need an android tablet to learn which apps are available from Google Play that may extend the usefullness of your device.
Indeed. Anybody can see what there is with any browser by just going into the App website and searching/reading some.

Android Apps can also be run dry under Windows and other systems (emulated).

b.
Old 15-10-2014, 09:24   #65

My take on onboard computers (of which I have installed some):

- get any netbook or laptop, set it up with your preferred system and software, secure it in a dry cool place,
- connect an external monitor, place it where you want it (nav desk seems best with many owners,

When the netbook/laptop dies. Replace with another. When the monitor dies, you still have one on the portable.

This is my cheap way. Very easy to adjust, update and swap as necessary.

b.
Old 15-10-2014, 16:38   #66

I see the greatest benefits of android are the cheap hardware and software
options that are available.
I am using a CS968 TV box (Quad Core RK3188 2G ram 8G SSD) to a 20" DVI
Monitor. Power consumption is less than 10Watt + Monitor
I am currently using Navionics Aus & NZ (only $18 Aus)
I can't find any apps that support AIS and good marine charts.

Opencpn android apk would be a great step forward . I would be prepared to test it.

Note CS918 TV Boxes are available from reputable sellers on Ebay.com.au for
around $65 Aus.
Steelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 18:59   #67

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin

Time does fly, I have been using Android tablet and phones for over three years now and the hardware is getting old but the software just keeps working. It is nice the developer continues to improve on the application.
You got it that the installed cost is low, works well at 12VDC, no need for external hardware, and coffee shop portable. Just not as powerful as OCPN.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 07:25   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
Time does fly, I have been using Android tablet and phones for over three years now and the hardware is getting old but the software just keeps working. It is nice the developer continues to improve on the application.
You got it that the installed cost is low, works well at 12VDC, no need for external hardware, and coffee shop portable. Just not as powerful as OCPN.
Have you used OpenCPN on an android tablet? I'm not a great fan of android, but not because the hardware is inadequate. If you've used my method for installing linux and OpenCPN on an android tablet, I don't believe you'd arrive at the same conclusion. Hopefully, someday linux on tablets will be the norm. Then, barriers between OpenCPN and hardware will be erased. Until then hardware under android will be controlled by API's, and apps will be necessary to intermediate between linux and gps via location and nmea API's.

There are apps available on Google Play for AIS, weatherfax and no doubt other marine functions that await an effort by users running OpenCPN in a chroot environment to try them. With input from others solutions for using external and built in gps in OpenCPN on androids were discovered. Didn't have to write an application, nay a line of code. I believe if this community would provide at least a modicum of support for my method, if for no other reason than it's currently the only way to run OpenCPN on androids, ways to bridge the hardware gap would be found.

If I had AIS, radar and other toys I'd be doing this myself. But, unless folks want to donate, I ain't going out and buy them...
Old 20-10-2014, 14:04   #69

Boat: Contest 31HT

In the cabin I am running OpenCPN on the computer and in the cockpit I have a second computerscreen. When I close the computer in the cabin (then it sleeps) I can see OCPN on the second screen in the cockpit.
To reduce energy I like to replace the second screen for a tablet on Android.

I have installed the app Teamviewer on my tab and computer. Now I can run the computer from my tablet also with OCPN and CM93 charts and it works marvelous,,,,,,,,BUT ONLY within reach of internet

Should there be a solution to run this construction without internet ???
Because at this time we have problems with energy on trips longer than 4 days.

(Excuses for my English, I am Dutch,so if you can answer in Dutch,but English is ok )
hjvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:24   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjvanh View Post
In the cabin I am running OpenCPN on the computer and in the cockpit I have a second computerscreen. When I close the computer in the cabin (then it sleeps) I can see OCPN on the second screen in the cockpit.
To reduce energy I like to replace the second screen for a tablet on Android.

I have installed the app Teamviewer on my tab and computer. Now I can run the computer from my tablet also with OCPN and CM93 charts and it works marvelous,,,,,,,,BUT ONLY within reach of internet

(Excuses for my English, I am Dutch,so if you can answer in Dutch,but English is ok )
You can run OpenCPN on your android tablet independent of Teamviewer and network connections in a linux 'chroot' setup on the tablet. Instructions are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage Once you have unlocked and rooted your device, most steps involve copying lines from the instructions and pasting into an android terminal. You must have a pretty good connection to the internet to complete the installation. Don't understand something here, the instructions will make clear what I'm saying.
Old 20-10-2014, 17:25   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjvanh View Post

(...)

Now I can run the computer from my tablet also with OCPN and CM93 charts and it works marvelous,,,,,,,,BUT ONLY within reach of internet

(...)
You can set up a hotspot on the host (PC) or on the client (tablet) and connect. The tablet to this hotspot. The rest you know.

If you have a pre Win 8 PC, you can create a hotspot on the tablet then connect the PC to it. The rest you know.

You do not need the Internet to net two devices.

If the above do not work for any reason, get a 12 Volt router and net both devices via the router. But this should not be necessary.

Or get a Win 8 (not RT) tablet and ... run OpenCPN on it.

Life is good.

Cheers,
b.

b.
Old 21-10-2014, 13:50   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjvanh

I beg your indulgence if I misunderstand. Aren't you asking if there's a way to avoid having to run the computer in order to serve the tablet via the internet? I assume this is your question because accessing the internet isn't a major contributor to energy consumption. It's the computer. Arranging a direct connection between the computer and tablet via a 'hotspot' should require essentially the same amount of energy. The exception would be if you threw a router into the mix.

The link I provided allows you to eliminate the computer entirely and requires no network of any kind.

Most people have no problem understanding the difference.
Old 21-10-2014, 16:47   #73

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Going back to the first post in this thread... Running opencpn on android natively.

I set up an android virtual device and can run the arm7 android in the emulator (android 4.2.2)

I built some qt sample programs and installed them and they work.

I followed the instructions in the README in the wxqt branch of the main opencpn git repository.
I built wxWidgets for wxqt for android armv7. I build opencpn linking to this, and the asset bridge library etc... I managed to build the apk fine, and installed to the android device, however, I had to regenerate Android.mk using qmake rather than using the checked in version or I always get java exceptions when opencpn starts (via adb logcat) ok... so now it runs, but it just sits there with a black screen, that's where I'm stuck.

I tried to use ndk-gdb and it's not working at all, but it doesn't work correctly for the qt sample programs either, there are 15 threads and all the stacks are nonsense. Making ndk-gdb work would be very useful.

Anyone else try this? Note I have a pull request for OpenCPN/wxqt as well as wxWidgets/master

I can continue now and try to make opengl and socket support compile and link, but I am not sure how to proceed. Obviously dave got it working, so it would be great if someone else can try. Maybe I should try x86 android as well?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:08   #74

Quote:
Originally posted by Boat_Alexandra

I can continue now and try to make opengl and socket support compile and link, but I am not sure how to proceed. Obviously dave got it working, so it would be great if someone else can try. Maybe I should try x86 android as well?
I want to see this succeed as much if not more than others - excepting maybe you.

If I have sufficient space on my Xoom to install the necessary files, I'll give it a go.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:40   #75

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I want to see this succeed as much if not more than others - excepting maybe you.

If I have sufficient space on my Xoom to install the necessary files, I'll give it a go.
the apk file is 9.1M, that's all the space needed on the tablet I believe. You need a few gb on a development machine.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept