Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 06:30   #121

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: New grib presentation

I don't think that boat_alexandra needs any help with the code, as he found the bug. This is how it looks like with the bug fixed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	newgrib.png
Views:	239
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	59169

Zooming in further...

Name:	nocrash-run2.png
Views:	256
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	59170

My source for OSCAR is query@svsarana.com!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 16:30   #122

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Cagney... Thomas Thanks for clearing up my confusion.... that's right it did run in the grib_pi, I believe I posted an example of that, in fact Ptizef is posting the very same file I believe with the snakey read currents.... Thanks.

Quote:
.hm ??? Standard O 3.2 displays OSCAR..., at least for me.
I'm not so lucky with the development versions....
Am very glad Sean and Jean figured out how to make the new_enhanced_gribs work with OSCAR currents.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the monthly kml grib data translated to grib so we can have 12 months of "Routing Gribs" -any suggestions for how to do that?

Quote:
These montly files at Map » Pitufa.at , say "prev_winds_north_atlantic_01.kml" are Xml format with the main repetitive part being "Placemarks"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-96792.html

See Post #9 and below
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 17:49   #123

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

actually I tried the kml stuff and it requires hundreds of images in addition to the files which are separate downloads. COGOW is basically pre-generated and in an image format which is not good to redistribute, and also not very good for something like weather routing (because it's images not data). I don't think you can easily convert it to gribs either.

I thought it would make more sense to use the SCOW data (in netcdf) format which is what I started on the climatology plugin.. but unfortunately this wind data only has 9 datapoints per lat/lon location per year, and while using frequency domain helps a lot, it seriously limits the actual data and does not capture systems that are only in place a few days or a week properly. Sure it would still get the trade winds, but would not capture when they are upset.

Both of these are based on quickscat measurements. So what I really need is the raw quickscat data, then I could generate gribs and a lot of other useful things.

In addition, it would be nice to take some grib files, and use this to extrapolate what likely wind would be for the next two weeks for starting passages based on previous trends as well. For this I need a lot of data, not averages.

Swell and wind/wave can be derived from wind if there is no better source and if it covers a large enough area.

So.. where do I get quickscat data? I can only find images for acending and decending passes. I guess this works and sample by pixels? How do I get wind direction?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 18:04   #124

Re: New Grib Presentation

Thanks for looking at the montly files at Map » Pitufa.at, Sean and Post #9,

Wouldn't an index ....
If CDATA is [some file] Then = [Some angle] +
<name>8.47 kn scalar average</name>

Yield the Grib data at the Position information given in the Kml?

I will look for quicksat data. I like your thoughts/approach about climatology!
Old 14-04-2013, 23:07   #125

Boat: Voyage 12.50

Thank you Jean Pierre
This is great. an example here this morning
absolutely perfect, and more ... no rain
just a little wind
Michel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-04-15 08_55_34-grib_ptizef.gif
Views:	226
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	59224  
yoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 07:43   #126

This New_Grib grib_pi.doc above has some of the same issues with reading certain grib current files as the one in grib_enhancements thread, see that thread please. I just checked it. Jean Paul, I had sent you an invitation to my Opencpn dropbox folder which had many different types of grib files and grib current files. If you need it sent again, let me know.

I believe the problem has to do with reading a slightly different format for the various "frames" with date and time.
Old 15-04-2013, 08:25   #127

Boat: Voyage 12.50

Hello
We can always do more complicated. But like this, zyGrib and Sailsdoc is sufficient for many people ...
Michel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zyGrib-OpenCPN 3.2_grib.gif
Views:	217
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	59253   Click image for larger version

Name:	sailsdoc-OpenCPN 3.2.grib.gif
Views:	227
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	59254  

yoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:42   #128

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
actually I tried the kml stuff and it requires hundreds of images in addition to the files which are separate downloads. COGOW is basically pre-generated and in an image format which is not good to redistribute, and also not very good for something like weather routing (because it's images not data). I don't think you can easily convert it to gribs either.

I thought it would make more sense to use the SCOW data (in netcdf) format which is what I started on the climatology plugin.. but unfortunately this wind data only has 9 datapoints per lat/lon location per year, and while using frequency domain helps a lot, it seriously limits the actual data and does not capture systems that are only in place a few days or a week properly. Sure it would still get the trade winds, but would not capture when they are upset.

Both of these are based on quickscat measurements. So what I really need is the raw quickscat data, then I could generate gribs and a lot of other useful things.

In addition, it would be nice to take some grib files, and use this to extrapolate what likely wind would be for the next two weeks for starting passages based on previous trends as well. For this I need a lot of data, not averages.

Swell and wind/wave can be derived from wind if there is no better source and if it covers a large enough area.

So.. where do I get quickscat data? I can only find images for acending and decending passes. I guess this works and sample by pixels? How do I get wind direction?

There is much more to COGOW than the images.
Check these two links for a different, text presentation.
http://cioss.coas.oregonstate.edu/co....75N_1.75E.dat
http://cioss.coas.oregonstate.edu/co....25N_5.75E.txt

You get to these pages through a dialog that pops up on left clicking the graphics.

Name:	cogow.png
Views:	251
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	59255

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 09:38   #129

Boat: 10.50 mètres

To all developers grib plugin.

Would it be possible to have a pot file with all new items all the beta versions of GRIB plugin? This would allow translators to work.

Best regards

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 14:19   #130

Dear Jean Pierre

I was snooping around in here
https://github.com/Ptizef/OpenCPN/tr...lugins/grib_pi

trying to figure out why I could not git your new grib plugin.
I noticed that you had made some changes 6 days ago.

Can you advise regarding the correct git path?
Also, I need to use sean's branch sean/grib_enhancements to build it now...correct?

Thanks.
Old 20-04-2013, 18:29   #131

Sean on Climatology

Quote:

Just found on this website:

QuikSCAT/SeaWinds Data products
"QuikSCAT nominal mission ended on November 23, 2009. "

More on Jeff Peters blog:
Quote:
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : QuikSCAT, 1999 - 2009: R.I.P. | Weather Underground
"Launched in 1999, the QuikSCAT satellite became one of the most useful and controversial meteorological satellites ever to orbit the Earth. Forecasters world-wide came to rely on QuikSCAT wind data to issue timely warnings and make accurate forecasts of tropical and extratropical storms, wave heights, sea ice, aviation weather, iceberg movement, coral bleaching events, and El Niño. Originally expected to last just 2-3 years,"

Alternatives to QuikSCAT
Two valuable alternatives to QuikSCAT are available, but neither can come close to making up for the loss of QuikSCAT. The Windsat instrument aboard the Coriolis satellite (launched in 2003) measures wind speed and wind direction using a different technique. Evaluation of these data at NHC and NOAA's Ocean Prediction Center (OPC) shown the winds to be unreliable in and around the storm environment. There's also the European ASCAT satellite, launched in 2007. Like QuikSCAT, ASCAT can measure global wind speed and direction twice per day. However, the data is available at 25 km resolution (two times coarser than the 12.5 km QuikSCAT), and ASCAT covers only 60% of the area covered by QuikSCAT

A QuikSCAT replacement
A replacement dual-frequency QuikSCAT satellite that has superior capabilities to old one is being explored by NOAA and NASA, in partnership with the Japanese Space Agency (JAXA). The new QuikSCAT instrument would fly on the Japanese GCOM-Water Cycle satellite, scheduled to launch in January 2016. However, funding must begin in 2010 in order to meet this launch deadline, and no funding for a new QuikSCAT has been put into the Administration's FY 2011 budget. The proposed QuikSCAT replacement would be able to measure winds as high as 100 mph (Category 2 hurricane strength), and have improved ability to measure winds in heavy rain.
Old 20-04-2013, 18:46   #132

Quote:
January 29, 2013
PASADENA, Calif. - In a clever reuse of hardware originally built to test parts of NASA's QuikScat satellite, the agency will launch the ISS-RapidScat instrument to the International Space Station in 2014 to measure ocean surface wind speed and direction.

The ISS-RapidScat instrument will help improve weather forecasts, including hurricane monitoring, and understanding of how ocean-atmosphere interactions influence Earth's climate.
ISS Rapid Scat to take the place of QuickScat
WINDS: ISS-RapidScat

Applications WINDS: About Scatterometry: Applications
http://coaps.fsu.edu/scatterometry/m...OWSTPoster.pdf

OSCAT (India) Description of OSCAT Data Products
QucikScat using NOAA& JPL Seawinds on Space Station
Description of QuikSCAT Data Products
QuikSCAT/SeaWinds Data products
Old 20-04-2013, 18:53   #133

RSS / WindSat Data / Browse
Old 20-04-2013, 18:57   #134

Quickscat
Scatterometry Data - World Winds from QuickSCAT

Here is one data access to Quickscat I think
ERDDAP - Wind Stress, QuikSCAT, Global, Science Quality (3 Day Composite) - Data Access Form

Also shows the data structure.
Old 20-04-2013, 23:47   #135

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dear Jean Pierre

I was snooping around in here
https://github.com/Ptizef/OpenCPN/tr...lugins/grib_pi

trying to figure out why I could not git your new grib plugin.
I noticed that you had made some changes 6 days ago.

Can you advise regarding the correct git path?
Also, I need to use sean's branch sean/grib_enhancements to build it now...correct?

Thanks.
Hi Rick

I don't see why you couldn't git NEW_GRIB . This address works perfectly
I repeat it but it will change nothing
https://github.com/Ptizef/OpenCPN/tree/NEW_GRIB
What appends when you open it ?
let me know ...
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote