Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 06:09   #1

NEMO gateway and OpenCPN???

I have recently installed a NEMO N2k gateway from Rosepoint Navigation. Coastal Explorer running in a Windows 10 laptop picked it up and auto-configured seamlessly and immediately. Not so OpenCPN.

Any tips on configuring a NEMO Gateway to pull the N2K data off my Simrad/Navico network? I have found the network port configure area in OpenCPN but unsure what settings to establish or if that's even the right place to configure.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:16   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: NEMO gateway and OpenCPN???

There is not much in the documentation for the device. It says it can broadcast NME0183 over UDP, but does not mention the port it uses. If you don't find it somewhere in the settings interface of the device, you can download Wireshark and have a look at the traffic on your network to find out.
Then all you should need is configure an UDP connection for NMEA0183 with address 0.0.0.0 and the port you have found in OpenCPN.
The port might be 10110, which is what is usually used for NMEA0183 data, but may be something completely different.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:41   #3

Re: NEMO gateway and OpenCPN???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I have recently installed a NEMO N2k gateway from Rosepoint Navigation. Coastal Explorer running in a Windows 10 laptop picked it up and auto-configured seamlessly and immediately. Not so OpenCPN.

Any tips on configuring a NEMO Gateway to pull the N2K data off my Simrad/Navico network? I have found the network port configure area in OpenCPN but unsure what settings to establish or if that's even the right place to configure.
There are two sides to this. First, the NEMO. You can configure it by going to the NEMO IP in a web browser. If you don't know the IP, there is a link in the electronics section of CE that takes you to the NEMO web interface. Some of this can also be configured in CE directly.

There is then a menu to configure "NMEA 0183 Over UDP". This sets the port. There is a talker options link that lets you do two things. First, you can configure what NMEA 0183 sentences are generated from supported 0183 or n2k inputs, at what rate, and from where. Second, you can use the "data repeating" menu to configure what 0183 input ports get repeated verbatim over UDP. Once this is configured you should be able to setup the same UDP port in OpenCPN as a listener as per https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ork_connection

You can alternatively configure a TCP connection to port 39150 on the NEMO IP from OpenCPN, but this IP may change unless you can fix the DHCP lease in your router or use a static IP.

Not all n2k data can be converted to 0183, and I'm pretty sure OpenCPN only talks 0183 over the network unless it has specific support for the NEMO.
znep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn