Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 13:57   #1

Boat: Caliber 38
Multiple computers

I am in the learning stages of using OpenCPN
I currently have OpenCPN installed on two different computers (One dedicated navigation laptop that usually stays on the boat and another laptop that is used for navigation planning at home , email etc. All the charts are on an external hard drive that goes back and forth between home and the boat.
The first questions are once I update the charts using one computer do I need to force a ENC rebuilt on both machines? because the database is on each computer or is the database built on the HHD?

The next question is I have a number of routes/waypoints that were created on my Raymarine chartplotter. How do I import the routes and waypoint into OpenCPM? I would prefer not having to reenter 1000's of waypoints and routes. I have a copy of all the waypoints on a CF card.
Old 18-01-2021, 00:42   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Multiple computers

Patrick..
Read about WP and routes and how to copy and import here https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_mark_manager
or in the inbound manual on your OCPN; Tools menu [?]
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 05:08   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

Regarding your first question.
You need to need to rebuild ENC on both machines.
There is a way around this but that will involve copy/paste of directories(containing SENC files) between the two computers, manually or via a script. Altogether a more complicated option.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Patrick..
Read about WP and routes and how to copy and import here https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_mark_manager
or in the inbound manual on your OCPN; Tools menu [?]
Thank you for the reply. I had to convert the file from the Raymarine .FHS format to .GPX format. Once converteed I was able to import all my routes and waypoints.
Thank you so much.
Old 21-01-2021, 06:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Regarding your first question.
You need to need to rebuild ENC on both machines.
There is a way around this but that will involve copy/paste of directories(containing SENC files) between the two computers, manually or via a script. Altogether a more complicated option.

Thomas
Thomas, I have a follow up question. When rebuilding ENC I seem to have three choices, 1) Scan and update database, 2)Force database rebuilt and 3) Prepare all ENC charts.
What is the difference and which one should I use?
Old 21-01-2021, 08:02   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

1) will check the chart files for updates or new chart files and update the data base accordingly. This happens automatically when you add a chart file at Options|Charts|Chart files for example.

2) will rebuild the complete data base independently from being already existing or updated chart sets. As said: forces a complete scan and rebuild.

3) ENCs need to be transformed into the the internal OpenCPN format for vector charts, as the original S-57 charts are not well suited for a performant plotter. Same is valid for S-63 sets. oeSENC sets come already in the internal format.
OpenCPN will do the transformation "on-the-fly" when you request a chart to be displayed. Depending on the system or the number of charts involved this can take time. Hence the option to run this process before navigating. Preparing all charts.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:46   #7

Thank you BCN,
This is very helpful
Patrick

Tags
computers