Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 11:10   #16

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100
Re: Marker Name property

Thanks for the response;

No I was not installing it from the right source; it was version 'ocpn_draw_pi-0.3_0270-win32.exe'. But after downloading version 'ocpn_draw_pi-1.5.22-win32.exe' things were still the same. I did follow the install procedure as described by your link, but the plug-in still not appears in the list.

Attached the log file, which indeed shows an error, loading the DLL-file (error-127)
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:16   #17
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Attachment does not show up. As you are "new" at the forum, it make take some moment. Did you see your attachment in the "preview" before releasing?

And as you are already attaching stuff: the opencpn.ini file will be interesting as well.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:38   #18

No I did not preview the file.

Attached a new try!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Log-file.doc (96.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30   #19

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
You have got the beta version of the plugin. The current 'production' version available for windows is 1.4.70 (the second one on the list at this page: https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_draw_pi/releases). 'Production' versions have an even number as the minor release and 'Beta versions have an odd number as the minor release. Whilst I would love people to test the beta version it is not really stable as there are fixes being applied to it all the time.

I have just downloaded the 1.4.70 windows version and installed it into OCPN 4.8.8 on Win 7 64bit, and for me it works OK. Give it a try and see how you go.

The manual for it is part of the OCPN manual set, but here is a direct link to it: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ty:odraw1.4_pi

Regards
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:43   #20

Great, it is working.

Now for me to explore how to implement it for my purpose.
Old 27-01-2019, 02:01   #21

Hello jongough,

Thank you for the tip; it is doing exactly the things I would like to do.

It was even doing things more as I did expect; e.g. drawing areas and lines on the maps.
Also the text is disappearing when the scaling factor is above a certain level. This option would be handy, if this feature was working for OCPN-Draw symbols and standard OCPN text/symbols as well. Now the map is getting crowded when the map is zoomed out to much.

However, I was asking myself, if there are is a list of characters which cannot be used in text-strings.
By coincident, I did discover that a character '<' was used in a certain name, which caused the problem, that the rest of the data in the file was skipped completely.

Also the question, if there is a maximum of data-points which can be used per file; I am using a database, which dumps the info in 'gpx' files, for loading it into OCPN and OCPN-Draw.

Thanks, I will wait for your response.
Old 27-01-2019, 05:43   #22

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58gschol View Post
Also the text is disappearing when the scaling factor is above a certain level. This option would be handy, if this feature was working for OCPN-Draw symbols and standard OCPN text/symbols as well. Now the map is getting crowded when the map is zoomed out to much.
This is done for O5 already.
Quote:
By coincident, I did discover that a character '<' was used in a certain name, which caused the problem, that the rest of the data in the file was skipped completely.
You need to keep on mind that GPX is XML, "<" can't be used directly in xml texts and must be encoded as the &lt; entity, same for others (See for example https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...37835#46637835).

Quote:
Also the question, if there is a maximum of data-points which can be used per file; I am using a database, which dumps the info in 'gpx' files, for loading it into OCPN and OCPN-Draw.
How many do you want to have? Problem certainly won't be thousands. Problem certainly will be millions.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 08:12   #23

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Now for a little thread drift ...
On the IENC charts provided by the USACE a graphic is provided for most bridges on the inland waterways. I assume the European IENCs provide similar graphics. Is there a way to display those graphics in OpenCPN? I couldn't find any reference in the manual.
Here is a screen capture of the graphic displayed by chart manager software of mine, but it would be nice to have it displayed by an object query in Open CPN.
https://www.screencast.com/t/Lx4eKnhFDRV

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 08:21   #24

This also is already done for O5.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:23   #25

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Now for a little thread drift ...
On the IENC charts provided by the USACE a graphic is provided for most bridges on the inland waterways. I assume the European IENCs provide similar graphics. Is there a way to display those graphics in OpenCPN? I couldn't find any reference in the manual.
Here is a screen capture of the graphic displayed by chart manager software of mine, but it would be nice to have it displayed by an object query in Open CPN.
https://www.screencast.com/t/Lx4eKnhFDRV

John
Currently in 4.8.8 there is no way, but....
In the next version there will be. See screenshot using alpha version 4.99.1326. A public beta version will be available "soon".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190127_171855.png
Views:	76
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	184579

This is from a Swiss inland ENC. I Double clicked on the bridge to get the dialog "Object Query" then I clicked the blue underlined link and got the
picture of the bridge.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 04:35   #26

Thanks all, for your feedback,

Also something, which might been defined already as part for the new release;
It would be handy to have a map in OCPN-Draw, in which files could be dumped, which will be loaded as file, an d not as separate items as it's done in the current version.

In OCPN itself it has been implemented already; the map is 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\Layers'.

When a 'gpx' file is dumped in here, it will get loaded, without listing all the separate items.
In OCPN-Draw, the file will have to get loaded instead of dumping the 'gpx' file somewhere, so the file will get listed, but all the items will get loaded.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:21   #27

Hello jongough,

Just a small edition, OCPN-Draw is crashing on me. This happens, when to much 'odd' characters are used.

In the Netherlands and in France, lots of names contain some characters, which are not common. E.g. 'ê', 'ë', and 'é'.

Once I did change these characters to a normal 'e', the crashing seems to be gone.
Perhaps something to think over for implementing in a future release.

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2019, 01:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58gschol View Post
It would be handy to have a map in OCPN-Draw, in which files could be dumped, which will be loaded as file, and not as separate items as it's done in the current version.

In OCPN itself it has been implemented already; the map is 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\Layers'.
After lots of 'try and error', I discovered that this feature was already working.
The map was 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi\Layer s'.

Apologize for raising the issue.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17   #29

On my question:
'Also the question, if there is a maximum of data-points which can be used per file; I am using a database, which dumps the info in 'gpx' files, for loading it into OCPN and OCPN-Draw.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
How many do you want to have? Problem certainly won't be thousands. Problem certainly will be millions.
Thanks, but I do have problems loading some 13152 way points into OCPN-Draw (text-points and boundaries having some 41000 points), and some 18771 way points into OCPN. Next to that, I would like to load another 1799 boundaries (having in total some 63000 points), but I did not try that one yet.

The system is getting unstable, when I do zoom-out to much and lots of way points needs to get displayed on screen. Once, with the result that also Google Chrome was kicked-out.
However, the problem even occurs when the 'Do not show' option is selected. So probably no display-memory problem, but it might be a processing capacity problem.

Perhaps the 'maximum-zoom' option, as used for text in text-points at this moment, might give a solution, when it will work for all other waypoints, as well as for symbols as well.

I will wait for the new release, and will test this problem again.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2019, 03:26   #30

I appreciate you fell in love with the draw plugin, the remark was referring to the normal waypoints though...

Tags
rope