Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 07:27   #1

Boat: Nauticat38
Lost instrumentation

Hey all,

My instrumentation dashboard used to work, now I'm getting no gps/instrument data into OpenCPN.

I'm running a windows-based tablet with open CPN.
My vesper cortex broadcasts data over the network.
I use starlink for my internet, and when I was using starlink's internal router, all the instruments displayed fine on my tablet. I recently added an external router to allow for some Ethernet ports with intention of adding a Garmin radar. I named the new network through the new router the same as my old network that was run through the starlink and disabled the starlink router. All my systems seem to be communicating with the new network just fine with the exception of my tablet running open CPN. For some reason it now displays the network with a number two behind it that it didn't have before. Ex: "network name" displayed as "network name 2". And now openCPN is no longer getting GPS or instrumentation data.

Has anyone run into something like this before, or have any ideas for a fix? I don't know if those things are related, I'm just pointing out the things I've noticed that have changed.
Old 25-01-2023, 11:33   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Lost instrumentation

What's your OCPN connection TCP or UDP?
If TCP, the IP address (and port?) for for the vesper may have changed with the new router?
The name of the network adapter has no impact as long it's connected and received an IP address by the router.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 12:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
What's your OCPN connection TCP or UDP?
If TCP, the IP address (and port?) for for the vesper may have changed with the new router?
The name of the network adapter has no impact as long it's connected and received an IP address by the router.
I'm sure it's TCP, I've never set up a UDP before. Would that be beneficial? I believe the cortex is still connected to the network because I'm getting the data on my phone thru the cortex, but I'll check when I get back to the boat. Thanks!
Old 25-01-2023, 12:48   #4

Boat: Najad 34

Check the tablet is connected to same network as Cortex and the other devices receiving data. (The same network is IP address like: 192.168.1.xxx. The three first groups must be equal.)
If you can get the data provider to send UDP it's easier to connect. (OCPN IP address = 0.0.0.0) But not all devises can use it.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 13:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Check the tablet is connected to same network as Cortex and the other devices receiving data. (The same network is IP address like: 192.168.1.xxx. The three first groups must be equal.)
If you can get the data provider to send UDP it's easier to connect. (OCPN IP address = 0.0.0.0) But not all devises can use it.
There definitely listed on the same network under 192.168.0.xxx looking at the cortex it seems to be working because my cell phone connects to it through the network. I know it's a long shot but would The network band have anything to do with it? 5 GHz versus 2.4? It's really odd because it appears to have worked for a very short window, because my GPS location moved on the tablet running open CPN to the current location at the time, but blacked out and stopped updating. I get no instrumentation, no GPS location, and from what I can tell everything should be working...

I did find something odd in the options>connections>data connections that show two enable the networks

Network. Input. TCP. 127.0.0.1 15555. 1

Network. Input. TCP. 192.168.1.187 39150. 1

Could these being enabled cause problems? I hesitate to mess with anything because I'm not competent enough to know what I'm doing
Old 26-01-2023, 08:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
I did find something odd in the options>connections>data connections that show two enable the networks

Network. Input. TCP. 127.0.0.1 15555. 1

Network. Input. TCP. 192.168.1.187 39150. 1

Could these being enabled cause problems? I hesitate to mess with anything because I'm not competent enough to know what I'm doing
Those entries translate to "Listen to the computer that this copy of OpenCPN is running on using a TCP connection on port 15555 with a priority of 1"
and
Listen to a computer with the IP address 192.168.1.187 on TCP port 39150 with a priority of 1".

I have seen some internal GPS tools on a tablet use 15555 to transmit position data. Do you have an internal GPS on the computer that is hosting this copy of OpenCPN?

I've not run across port 39150 though. Do you know which device on your network has (or had) address 192.168.1.187?
Old 26-01-2023, 09:37   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

To begin troubleshooting this, you need to know what the IP address of the cortex is, and the ip address of your windows tablet.

On the tablet open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all

That will give you a bunch of useful information, including the computers IP address. Hopefully you know the IP address of the cortex or know how to find it. It might be 192.168.1.187. In the same command prompt window type:
ping [ip address of cortex]

replace [ip address of cortex] with the ip address like "ping 192.168.1.187"

It is normal for windows to add a "2" after the network name, to indicate that is it NOT the same network even though it is the same name. You created a new network with the new router.

What does the connections tab on the phone that is working look like? You are SURE it is working, and not just using the internal GPS?

Tags
lost, men, rum