Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 03:24   #31
Moo

Re: How to output GPS signal to a DSC radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
4. Connect a chart plotter with dedicated 0183 talker port to the radio with two wires. Or connect the radio to an N2K network if it has an N2K port. Job done, because the gear is all designed to be connected this way. You are suffering complications because you are using a computer rather than purpose made marine chart plotter.

This ^^^^^^^^

Basically if somebody has to ask how to make these connection there is no point bombarding them with technicalities (as much as some of us like technicalities ) It's got to be plug and play, off the shelf.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:47   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
If you are buying a new radio. Just Get one with built in gps.

The OP has already bought the radio.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:49   #33

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The OP has already bought the radio.
Yes, I needed a new radio. Its cheaper to buy one without GPS and add a GPS, I bought a GPS for $17, the radio was $83 off Amazon. So a little over $100. My computer was also cheap, way under $200 for every part, and it runs Linux Mint. I think $60 for monitor, $25 for MB with core2duo cpu, $15 for drive, cables maybe another $20, memory another $20, decent PCIE video card $40. Power supply I had already, case also had. And I had a decent out of the way spot for it. It is invisibly hidden behind the salon wall, behind a cabinet door, in a spot that the OEM had not crafted access. I have 20 foot run of USB 2.0 cable and 25 foot HDMI to the monitor.

On my chart table helm are left, next to the wheel, sits the monitor, usb hub keyboard, mouse all on a flat space of about 24" width and 28" depth. The monitor I drilled one hole in base at the back and screwed it down so it wont flop over. One screw lets me turn it too.

I have upgraded Pc motherboard twice, I buy older cheap ones off ebay, they are not too old, so I stay behind top rated speed, but its not needed to be the best.

When originally setting this up, I avoided using laptop, thought it was easily stolen and would have cost me a lot more money, plus not upgradable for cheap.

My ideal future upgrade would be NVME ssd drive and a faster MB
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:27   #34

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

SD717, please let us know how the install goes. I agree that plug and play would be nice (Cobra's 'puck' is 50$ US) but I also like the whole DIY thing of getting A to talk to/listen to B without being beholden to a particular brand of device or to just save a little money.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:34   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
There is another way to do this.
Use an old gps puck, determine the power wires and provide 5vdc, then determine which wire is nmea in on your radio and connect that to what you think is nmea out on the puck. If that does not work, switch the two nmea puck wires.

This gives your DSC radio a dedicated gps that is not dependent on any other equipment.

Except for a 12 to 5 V step down ...

An option: since the OP runs a machine, maybe there is a serial port on that machine (PC). Then this port can output the gps data for the radio.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 16:43   #36

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Except for a 12 to 5 V step down ...
An option: since the OP runs a machine, maybe there is a serial port on that machine (PC). Then this port can output the gps data for the radio.
b.

Sure the PC would work too, but it is more useful to me to have it all setup as a standalone sensor for VHF DSC, using a very small converter 12vdc to 5vdc. So small it is just taped to the wiring in back of the VHF.

When I turn the VHF on, position very shortly appears, ready for any emergency call. Reliant on no computer or loose connections.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 17:47   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. The ways will differ depending on what one has at hand.

BTW. I am nearly sure a 12V vhf radio will not burn the puck. I say this as our gps can deliver position to our radio also when the gps is powered by batteries. And since these are 2x1.5Volt batteries I am very positive the 3 wire signal aka RS232 uses voltages lower than the radio itself. Using the same gnd wire does not imply the voltage is 12V even though the device may be 12V. They all have step downs inside to feed various chipsets that provide various functions.

So I think a vhf radio gps signal circuitry is only somewhere at 3.5V or thereabout.

But I am not sure what signal Volt level a RS422 device is (?)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 17:58   #38

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Yes. The ways will differ depending on what one has at hand.

BTW. I am nearly sure a 12V vhf radio will not burn the puck. I say this as our gps can deliver position to our radio also when the gps is powered by batteries. And since these are 2x1.5Volt batteries I am very positive the 3 wire signal aka RS232 uses voltages lower than the radio itself. Using the same gnd wire does not imply the voltage is 12V even though the device may be 12V. They all have step downs inside to feed various chipsets that provide various functions.

So I think a vhf radio gps signal circuitry is only somewhere at 3.5V or thereabout.

Cheers,
b.
+5 volt is the range from memory, but this is in no way related to the power supply requirements of the device. There may be some confusion with the NMEA 2000 standard which does include power distribution for transducers. NMEA 0183 does not.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 14:22   #39
Moo

Quote:

Cheers,
b.

RS 422 signal levels are 2 > 6V

Power supply to the unit could be anything of course.
Old 08-08-2019, 19:07   #40

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232#Voltage_levels
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 20:42   #41

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
How to output GPS signal to a DSC radio?

Quote:

I think there may be some confusion here. There are the signalling voltages defined by the various standards such as RS422 but there is also the question of the supply voltage required for the puck to operate. In this case the OP linked a puck that needs 5 volts to power the device. I would assume the actual NMEA output would be at the correct voltages.
Old 08-08-2019, 21:14   #42
Moo

Quote:

Yerrr that is why RS232 (your standard computer serial) sometimes doesn't work with NMEA0182 (now in the later versions close to RS422). There is some overlap but they are not the same.

GiLow.... I'm not confused but maybe I have added to it by pointing out some awkward facts

To re-enforce ... Supply voltage to the device is not specified in RS232/422/485 or NMEA0183 (at least not for puck devices in the latter case)
Old 10-08-2019, 06:10   #43

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

The OP seems to be making something simple more complicated.
If you have a GPS puck connected to your PC/OpenCPN are you saying that you are going to use this as your primary navigation aid?

Surely a standalone (12v) GPS or a Multi output unit including AIS from Quark would solve all of the issues.

Relaying on a GPS puck connected to a PC for DSC purposes will likely result in a Distress call failing because of lack of a fix.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:59   #44

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The OP seems to be making something simple more complicated.
If you have a GPS puck connected to your PC/OpenCPN are you saying that you are going to use this as your primary navigation aid?

Surely a standalone (12v) GPS or a Multi output unit including AIS from Quark would solve all of the issues.

Relaying on a GPS puck connected to a PC for DSC purposes will likely result in a Distress call failing because of lack of a fix.
It might or might not. Cetainly if the computer quits working.
I use a small puck on the PC as my primary nav aid. It sits dry out of the rain under the 3 forward windows, I am on a powerboat. It works very well and cost $7, gets a cold fix fast.
This is the one. I use it with Linux Mint.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...69154c4dh88Qge

I bought this one for the new radio, I paid $17.50 2 days ago, price just went up, I wonder why, tariffs?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...4de64c4dzX7ecZ
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:07   #45

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
It might or might not. Cetainly if the computer quits working.
I use a small puck on the PC as my primary nav aid. It sits dry out of the rain under the 3 forward windows, I am on a powerboat. It works very well and cost $7, gets a cold fix fast.
This is the one. I use it with Linux Mint.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...69154c4dh88Qge

I bought this one for the new radio, I paid $17.50 2 days ago, price just went up, I wonder why, tariffs?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...4de64c4dzX7ecZ
You are asking software engineers to fit lightbulbs what you have is a hardware issue.

The solution to your hardware problem is here.

Connect your GPS to your VHF radio | The Ensign magazine
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, gps, radio