Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2022, 07:09   #1846

Re: Help / FAQ

I send you 3 times messages concerning Harmonics, without getting any answer. So thank you for the program, it is great for all.
Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year 2023.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 07:11   #1847

Boat: Phantom 19

P_Dub...
OpenCPN is open source software. Simply create a pull request on github, or if you are not able to, post your harmonics here.
If it contains data that can't be shared publicaly, it is unfortunately of no use for us.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 12:02   #1848

I was refuse the OK for it for the moment.
Good by.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 15:48   #1849

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Jon use to be one of the experts on this.
If this link I stumbled on is new or not I can't judge since I've limited experience of making MbTiles. Jon may know if it adds anything to the excellent Sat2Chart.
Håkan
Thanks for this, Håkan. Bruce (of Migration fame) & I are good friends, as we both did major refits on our multihulls in Phuket at the same time.

Bruce & I have slightly different philosophies regarding mbTiles. He makes focused charts based on where he thinks they're going, which results in much smaller mbTiles.

I make mine specifically to share with other cruisers, & of course, I have no idea where they're going, & usually don't know exactly where we're going either. Therefore, I make my mbTiles of the entire coastlines of the countries I do. This results in fairly huge mbTiles, but I've found that I feel naked without good chart coverage. Now I know I've got good chart coverage for the places we cruise.

Now that we're back in the US for the holidays, I finally have enough bandwidth to upload my mbTiles to a Mega.nz server, & I've recently put together a page so cruisers can download our mbTiles.

These mbTiles are made with ArcGIS, Bing (MSFT), & Google Earth satellite imagery, as well as nautical charts from CMap & Navionics. They go from zoom-levels 10-18, which is detailed enough to see individual coral heads. The current list of countries I've charted (from east to west) includes:
Eastern Caribbean, Galapagos, Micronesia, Solomon Islands, PNG (mostly islands), Palau, Indonesia (& East Timor), Philippines, Malaysia (including Singapore & Brunei), Thailand (west coast), Sri Lanka, Maldives, Chagos, Seychelles, Madagascar (west coast), Comoros, Kenya, Tanzania, & Mozambique.

I'd like to make this a repository of high-quality mbTiles for cruisers to download. If folks have mbTiles they'd like to add to this repository, please let me know.
Old 22-12-2022, 19:20   #1850

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Thanks for this, Håkan. Bruce (of Migration fame) & I are good friends, as we both did major refits on our multihulls in Phuket at the same time.

Bruce & I have slightly different philosophies regarding mbTiles. He makes focused charts based on where he thinks they're going, which results in much smaller mbTiles.

I make mine specifically to share with other cruisers, & of course, I have no idea where they're going, & usually don't know exactly where we're going either. Therefore, I make my mbTiles of the entire coastlines of the countries I do. This results in fairly huge mbTiles, but I've found that I feel naked without good chart coverage. Now I know I've got good chart coverage for the places we cruise.

Now that we're back in the US for the holidays, I finally have enough bandwidth to upload my mbTiles to a Mega.nz server, & I've recently put together a page so cruisers can download our mbTiles.

These mbTiles are made with ArcGIS, Bing (MSFT), & Google Earth satellite imagery, as well as nautical charts from CMap & Navionics. They go from zoom-levels 10-18, which is detailed enough to see individual coral heads. The current list of countries I've charted (from east to west) includes:
Eastern Caribbean, Galapagos, Micronesia, Solomon Islands, PNG (mostly islands), Palau, Indonesia (& East Timor), Philippines, Malaysia (including Singapore & Brunei), Thailand (west coast), Sri Lanka, Maldives, Chagos, Seychelles, Madagascar (west coast), Comoros, Kenya, Tanzania, & Mozambique.

I'd like to make this a repository of high-quality mbTiles for cruisers to download. If folks have mbTiles they'd like to add to this repository, please let me know.
Awesome. I might contribute something. If you take submissions, I hope you have some "standard" with regards to zoom levels, file naming, etc. I have been using zooms of 12-14-16-18.

Something I have noticed is that OpenCPN works MUCH better with a single huge mbtiles file, vs. several smaller files. I am wondering if it is possible to combine mbtiles files. It seems it should be simple, as the file is an sql database file, but I've not figured it out. I also don't know how OpenCPN would work with mbtiles of irregular shapes following a coastline, vs a huge square.
Old 23-12-2022, 10:00   #1851

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Awesome. I might contribute something. If you take submissions, I hope you have some "standard" with regards to zoom levels, file naming, etc. I have been using zooms of 12-14-16-18.

Something I have noticed is that OpenCPN works MUCH better with a single huge mbtiles file, vs. several smaller files. I am wondering if it is possible to combine mbtiles files. It seems it should be simple, as the file is an sql database file, but I've not figured it out. I also don't know how OpenCPN would work with mbtiles of irregular shapes following a coastline, vs a huge square.
Thanks, Wholybee.

YES, we're certainly looking for additional submissions! If you PM me I'll send you my eddress & we can take this off this group.

It sounds like you're not using Paul Higgins' fabulous Sat2Chart program? It's an automation engine that makes mbTile creation MUCH easier. You still have to create the routes (which I do in OpenCPN) but Sat2Chart then handles all the downloading of ALL the charts you select, at all the zoom-levels you select, & then it makes the mbTiles, all automagically. I let the computer do this part at night, while I'm asleep. Routes can either be closed polygons (in which case it will grab everything inside the route) or linear (where it will grab everything for a selectable distance on each side).

I've published a How-To page on Making mbTiles that should help setting everything up.

Sat2Chart uses a standard naming convention of:
[RouteName].[ChartType].[ZoomLevels].mbtiles
So if you make your RouteName as: [Country.Area] then the mbTiles will all be named such that you can tell all the relevant details about them.

Your point about bigger mbTiles is well taken. Using a bunch of small mbTiles in OpenCPN is a pain, as they decided to break the original piano-key paradigm.

So I throw away the interim mbTiles created during the download steps & instead create much larger closed routes around the areas I'm interested in. Then I tell Sat2Chart to use those routes but to NOT download any additional data (on the SAS Planet tab) so the data just comes out of the SAS cache. If I make sure that these larger routes are correctly named & together cover an entire country (like the Philippines or Indonesia) then I get my large final mbTiles without having to download the interiors of islands (which I'm less interested in). This is how I made the mbTiles that I published.

I then put these large mbTiles into different Chart-Groups, so I can switch between them with just a single key-stroke, a lovely feature of OpenCPN. The large mbTiles means that I don't have to deal with a bunch of piano-keys.

You can achieve something similar with the Merge-mbTiles utility that comes with Sat2Chart, but I prefer to create a completely new mbTile directly from the SAS cache.

Each lesser zoom level only adds 25% more data to your mbTile, so it doesn't cost much to add all the intermediate zooms. About 2/3 of an mbTile will be your highest zoom. This also makes it easier for OpenCPN to display, as it doesn't have to do as much bit-fiddling to decide which pixels to display & which to throw out, making panning much faster. So I include all zooms between Z10-Z18.
Old 12-01-2023, 13:47   #1852

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post

Hi Jon. Hope all is well with you and Sue.

The above actually isn't true. Back in the old KAP days that was the case, but with MBTiles, TheChartLocker.com has charts for nearly every country/island group in the Pacific east of PNG. Plus a few other places in the Atlantic. Right now you can download MBTiles of sat imagery and Navionics charts for the following:

American Samoa
Austral Islands

Bahamas
Bermuda
Beveridge Reef
Clipperton Island
Cocos Island
Cook Islands
Costa Rica - Pacific Coast
Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
El Sa
lvador – Pacific Coast
Federated States of Micronesia
Fiji
French Polynesia
Gambiers
Honduras - Pacific Coast
Kiribati
Marquesas
Marshall Islands
Mexico – Pacific Coast
MexicoSea of Cortez
Micronesia
Minerva Reefs
New Caledonia
Nicaragua – Pacific Coast
Niue
Pacific Ocean Overviews
Palau
Panama – Pac Coast & Canal
Pitcairn Islands
Rapa Nui (Easter Island)
Samoa
Society Islands
Solomon Islands
Tokelau
Tonga
Tuamotus
Tuvalu
Vanuatu
Wallis and Futuna

We'll soon be adding Australia and the Dominican Republic.

I think the main difference in our philosophies is that you download all zoom levels and I just do Z 8, 10, 12, 15, 18 to keep the file size down. We've found this sufficient. Also, I find it much easier to just create the MBTiles with SASPlanet and not use SAT2CHART.

Lastly,Hakan, the TheChartLocker.com site is just a couple of years old, and all the charts have been created in the last 3 years.

Cheers,
Bruce
s/v Migration
Marquesas, FP
Old 07-02-2023, 16:09   #1853

Boat: Looking
Cannot install

Hopefully this is the right place for this question. Please move it if there is a better place to ask.

I downloaded the Mac version but I get this error when I try to open it:

“OpenCPN_5.6.2.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

I have a MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0.1

What's my next step?

Thanks,
RC
Missoula, MT
rocu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 17:20   #1854

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Cannot install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocu View Post
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. Please move it if there is a better place to ask.

I downloaded the Mac version but I get this error when I try to open it:

“OpenCPN_5.6.2.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

I have a MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0.1

What's my next step?

Thanks,
RC
Missoula, MT
Control-Click OpenCPN_5.6.2.pkg and select Open from the context menu, then confirm that you really want to open it. If your system is set to only allow installation of software from the App Store, follow the instructions from for example https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Soft...opers-on-a-Mac
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 15:03   #1855

Boat: Looking
Re: Cannot install

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Control-Click OpenCPN_5.6.2.pkg and select Open from the context menu, then confirm that you really want to open it. If your system is set to only allow installation of software from the App Store, follow the instructions from for example https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Soft...opers-on-a-Mac
Thanks, that worked like a charm. It's my first Mac.
rocu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 08:44   #1856

Boat: Contest 48cs, 14.8m
O-Chart Checksum Error

I arm checking a checksum error when I try to upload o-charts from the plug-in menu. Checksum Error. Tarball. SHA256 then lots of numbers.

I have done the following without success:
Upgraded to version 5.6.2.
Deleted all versions and files (After keeping some as backup in other folders)
Reloaded newest version and tried to install o-charts but again without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Frekado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 08:48   #1857
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Did you clear the download cache as well? If not, the plug-in will use the same - obviously broken - download again.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 13:38   #1858

@BCN

Thanks for your reply. Is there a specific download cache for OpenCPN?
I have checked in User/AppData , ProgramData and Program Files (x86)

I have again run the uninstall program and manually removed all files from AppData and checked all the files have been removed.

I re-installed a freshly downloaded OpenCPN 5.6.2 direct from the website link.

I have updated the Plugin Catalog master.

When I try to install o-charts, I still get the same error message and the log reads the following:

20:31:39.170 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:1101 ERROR Loading translation catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
20:31:39.175 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:1101 ERROR Loading translation catalog for: opencpn-wmm_pi
20:31:39.175 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:1111 Loading catalog for opencpn core.
20:31:39.180 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:952 Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
20:31:39.180 MESSAGE OCPNPlatform.cpp:973 Found LanguageInfo for: English
20:31:48.451 MESSAGE update_mgr.cpp:224 Selected update: o-charts
20:31:48.459 MESSAGE pluginmanager.cpp:470 Installing o-charts
20:31:49.033 MESSAGE Downloader.cpp:119 filesize https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/open...-win32.tar.gz: 1022994 bytes

20:31:49.941 MESSAGE download_mgr.cpp:99 Checksum fail on o-charts, tarball: sha256:9385814ec13755283b2b8e34fa1470123c5c6b87a9e 12e482743171046e33545, metadata: sha256:17996e0597857bd7d36cb4187915ae8670360d44acc c2c84eb6000ac7d7801cd

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 13-03-2023, 14:09   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Did you clear the download cache as well? If not, the plug-in will use the same - obviously broken - download again.
I'm not sure where the download cache is, I checked all OpenCpn folders in Appdata, ProgramData and Programme Files. I did clear all files and do a re-install.

I did manage to sort out by downloading the tar.gz file from cloudsmith and then did an import. This must have overwritten the cache as the next install went perfectly.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 21-03-2023, 09:59   #1860

I may be running a Beta version (5.7.1) which might be why some features are grayed out. (1) Vector Chart Display looks different than the manual. User Standard Objects, I can't scroll or select. (2) Which bring up a more general issue. A recent discussion of local boaters pointed out a hard, pointy object (boiler from a wreck) visible from the air. It's on the paper charts (Raster) now being discontinued but it is not on the Vector charts. These are downloads from NOAA. Sort of academic for this particular one: the difference between four feet depth and one foot depth is not one likely to be tested by anyone who knows how to navigate anyway, but it makes me wonder about other obstructions. Because of my OpenCPN "version" maybe there's a "display all obstructions" setting I haven't figured out how to turn "on". Who decides to "delete" obstructions from the "paper" charts when publishing ENC? I'm planning for discontinuance of paper charts and want to maximize information seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
This thread is reserved for general questions regarding the functions and features of opencpn, in its current RELEASED state.

It is intended that this is where a new user will land first, and hopefully answer most or all of her questions about initial configuration and operation of opencpn. This include things like "Where do I get charts?... What is an ENC?...How do I <blank>?"

Over time the thread will generate a list of FAQ's, by definition. These will be extracted at some point, and split off into a separate document or thread.

I would very much like it if some existing experienced forum members would take a proactive role in working with this thread. You know who you are.

Otherwise, it will be of little use to new users or to anybody, really.

I will be monitoring this thread only infrequently, and contributing rarely.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morgan Shoal Raster ENC.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	273030  
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote