Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 21:34   #676

Re: Help / FAQ

I'm having a problem activating routes. It seems each time I activate a route it's only by chance that the first waypoint will be activated. Most times it's another waypoint and each time it may change. Any ideas why this might be happening? I'm running OpenCPN on windows 8. Could that be my problem?
Singingdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 22:13   #677

After playing around with it for awhile, I'm finding that if I turn the program off and back on, that the first waypoint is activated. It's if I switch the route off and then on that this irregularity seems to happen. Hope that helps in taking a look at this.

By the way, everything seems to work normally in Windows 8. The only problem I've had is the one I've mentioned and an occassional crash of OpenCPN. Other than those two items, it's working great on Windows 8. I'm using the latest version, 3.02, by the way.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11   #678

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingdrum View Post
I'm having a problem activating routes. It seems each time I activate a route it's only by chance that the first waypoint will be activated. Most times it's another waypoint and each time it may change. Any ideas why this might be happening? I'm running OpenCPN on windows 8. Could that be my problem?
Singingdrum,
For me, the closest waypoint to the boat ( often called "ownship" here)gets activated...allowing for direction of travel. There's a pretty good logic to this !

To see what I mean, disconnect your gps, then rightclick somewhere on the chart just roughly near by the route somewhere roughly along it, use the right-click on the mouse, choose " move boat here"...
Now activate the route-See? Do this all again at various places along the route's length -it doesn't need to be ON the route....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00   #679

HappySeagull.....Thanks....I tried what you said and it worked correctly.
Old 19-07-2012, 07:53   #680

Comments for routes

Hi
Is there an easy way to include comments in a route. For instance I might want to add "Min 7' depth on this route".
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 08:31   #681

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Comments for routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
Hi
Is there an easy way to include comments in a route. For instance I might want to add "Min 7' depth on this route".
Bob
I think it's a good idea to include a comment about a route in the first waypoint. Use the new features included in Extended Marks | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 08:34   #682

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Comments for routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
Hi, Is there an easy way to include comments in a route. For instance I might want to add "Min 7' depth on this route". Bob
I do this all the time by just naming the point with the info I want displayed.
Old 19-07-2012, 09:25   #683

adding to Jon's and Thomas's comments, Right-click the particular route point, look for "Mark/WP Properties"...and go crazy. You can put an awful lot of stuff in the name, alright , but MAKE SURE you have "ShowName" box filled or you'll see nought.
Old 24-07-2012, 13:43   #684

From the online help

Quote:
Using the GPX utility and the Chart Work program is it possible to do on an electronic nautical chart the work you do in a traditional way.
How do I implement this and other supplementary software?

Thanks

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 04:43   #685

Hi

Running opencpn ver 3.0 when I zoom out my cog vector disappears. This was not so on version 2.5. It is very frustrating doing long distances. Any comments?
wwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 07:39   #686
Marine Service Provider

wwyd...

It on the bug list. Expect a fix in Version 3.2, or you may use the next 3.1 Beta Release due in a few days.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 02:05   #687

Hi,
I use OpenCPN 3.0 (mac version) after I am uploading a waypoint to my Garmin 152H GPS device, the program keeps hanging (not responding - spinning beachball) and I have to force quit the program to continue. I did not have this problem in OpenCPN version 2.5 . anyone else problems with uploading waypoints to GPS devices in version 3.0 ?
maxi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:58   #688

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34ft

I am new to OpenCPN, but have already found it a great tool for use on my sailboat. I do have a couple of questions I have not been able to find answers to in the forum which I am hoping you more seasoned users may be able to help with:

1. I created a " detailed harbor chart/picture" from the Google earth plugin and was able to incorporate it into my chart library. It displays as I would expect showing up as I zoom into the area of interest. Unfortunately the area just outside this satellite image always displays as the less detailed general area chart, not the rest of the detailed local chart. Is there a way in OpenCPN, to determine what chart displays around the boarders of a more detailed image chart (or I would guess a small scale harbor chart)?

2. On a recent trip I wanted to see detail around the boat (say withing a 5 mile radius or better yet in front of the boat) as I was transiting a rock infested area, but it would also have been useful to see a larger area view of the general route I was taking through the area. Is there any way to see both a detailed view around the boat (in say a separate window) as well as a zoomed out view?

Thanks in advance for any help - and once again a great project and lots of great ideas/work from all those involved.

NeilW
SV Passages
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:58   #689

NeilW,
without thinking about it too much (a hurried answer), for 1) and 2) try the chart groups feature in O3.0 and above-idea being to restrict the charts available...other than that, you might want to fiddle with the Scale of your GE Kap in the kap's header because it's the scale that puts the charts in order...in my kaps, this is as in" KNP/SC=25000" for 1:25,000 and you must use a competent notepad type editor to open and edit a kap. like "Notepad++" or the like of it.and of course ! just fiddling with copies...

Also, for 2), try running two O's at the same time so you can be navigating on any charts you want concurrently...(read about) running her Portably is the easiest way...especially as you can keep the settings in each iteration. This is likey going to want a port emulator like Xport or VSPE to be able to share a gps and whatever else.....it's been awhile since I did this using 2.5 and higher betas and it was only a sort of a parlour trick for me, but it did work...might not even need xport....2 gps would make it very easy.
Old 18-10-2012, 06:47   #690

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Hi guys,

I'm sure there will be a very simple answer to this but I have been looking through the manual & also the FAQs but could not find a solution.

I have just installed OpenCPN and downloaded 2 charts but all I seem to get is a black background with a blue outline of the land with no chart details.

I have not done the "Optional" step of setting up a GPS yet as I just wanted to install the app, then download a couple of charts to have a look at the charts.

I have also installed the suggested runtime components.

I am running Windows XP SP3.

The attachment will show you what I am getting.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc Open CPN install.doc (85.0 KB, 67 views)
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote