Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2023, 17:33   #46

Boat: Aluminum, Brewer 54.
Re: Garmin (N2K) via QK A034 to OPN CPN

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2023-12-14_173219159.png
Views:	22
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	284409
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2023, 17:36   #47

Name:	image_2023-12-14_173537255.png
Views:	19
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	284410
Old 14-12-2023, 17:41   #48

Boat: Morgan 382

From the manual:
Once open, click ‘Connect’.
When A034 is connected to a computer (Windows system) and powered up, ‘A034 connected’ will be
shown at the centre of the bottom and the software version shows at the bottom right. Press ‘Config’
once you have set the Baud rates for the inputs to save them to the A034.
So, if I understand that correctly, the "Config" button is really a "Save" button that sends the config to the A034. So if you have not pressed it, all those baud rates might not actually be what the device is currently configured for. You might try pressing it to make sure the 34000 gets saved to the device. Then, I would restart the A034 and the PC and see if OCPN connects.

The manual sentence field can be left blank.
Old 14-12-2023, 17:56   #49

Okay, did all that.
-Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2023-12-14_175525872.png
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	284411

Still nothing in the de-bug window...
Old 14-12-2023, 17:57   #50

Name:	image_2023-12-14_175700773.png
Views:	21
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	284412
Old 14-12-2023, 19:00   #51

Boat: Cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
The Config tool Has a window for:
Manual NMEA sentances send out via usb

would this be for a one-off? or each NMEA that I want sent out?
DISREGARD: (I don't see a way to do a strike through on the text)
That manual entry box is to send messages manually from the QK device to any of the NMEA interfaces instead of using the PC to send a message out to the networks. For testing or setting configuration changes to devices on the NMEA networks.

I looked at the screen again and saw it says "out to the USB". So it's for manually sending data out to the PC.
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2023, 19:03   #52

Quote:
$IIVHT
$SDDBT
$SDDPT
$WIMWV

These seem to corrospond to the VHT, DBT,DPT, and MWV that you asked for earlier....

Yes those are the right messages that you want to see in OpenCPN. Thanks for confirming that they are arriving at the QK and therefore should be available to OpenCPN.
Old 14-12-2023, 19:10   #53

One would think!
right?

But no amount of reading is getting me much closer.
Your help, has helped me get thinking again, I am sure these this can do what I require, just a matter of nutting through ...
Old 14-12-2023, 19:32   #54

The area labeled "Input Routing Settings" doesn't affect the output over USB. Those control the baud rate of the INPUTS to the QK from Seatalk/NMEA 1/NMEA 2/NMEA 3. You haven't mentioned anything being connected there. You have only said you have a Garmin feeding N2K (NMEA 2000) input to the QK. Regardless, your Wind/Water data is on the N2K, so changing those will have no effect on USB input. Also if you have no connections from Seatalk/NMEA-1-2-3, checking or unchecking the "To Output" check boxes will have no effect.

The "NMEA OUT" seems to have no function for your device. It is there for the A034-B version that has one NMEA output that yours does not.

The manual says all data is multiplexed over USB unless filtered in the "Black List Settings". I believe Windows doesn't care about baud rate for USB devices pretending to be serial. The next thing I would try is to go in OpenCPN and try every baud rate setting under the drop down box. If the QK is emulating "pure" NMEA 0183, it should be 4800. But I would try that and then every other setting for a few seconds to see if one of the higher ones work.
Old 14-12-2023, 19:39   #55

Okay Warren:
I will follow this up in the morning.
and post what results i get.
Thank you again, and I will turn in for the night.

Cheers
Old 15-12-2023, 05:22   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Okay here a comment that you probably won’t like but it needs to be said. Please don’t take this the wrong way as this is meant to be helpful in the long term. Take a step back and think this over:

You are messing with obsolete technology and wiring which is a path of hurt as you feel now…. and it will only get worse. Consider doing this properly, with modern solid technology that is future proof.

Considering you have an aluminum boat that shields wifi signals. Wifi should always be an extra, something nice to have but not required for operation, so for now this isn’t a big problem. But that doesn’t mean the end of tcp/ip as a protocol, which is based on wired technology.

So start with an Ethernet network throughout the boat. Buy a switch such as the netgear gs-308 managed/poe and install that in a central location. Power it with a good quality dc-dc converter that outputs 48V. For starters, disable power to all ports in the configuration.

Now look at your instruments. Hopefully you have an NMEA2000 network? I understand you also have nmea0183 components (which are mostly obsolete but not for wind instruments and I like it for VHF as well).

You have a device that I am unfamiliar with but it can multiplex NMEA ports and convert to/from NMEA2000? If so, set that up like others recommended, interconnecting all parts so that everything becomes available on NMEA2000 which is the current standard.

Now add a Yacht Devices NMEA2000 Ethernet gateway to the system which interconnects the NMEA2000 with the Ethernet network you installed. (https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...ateway-yden-02)

Now you have all data available on Ethernet. You simply put an Ethernet cable into the laptop and configure OpenCPN for the UDP port you configured in the gateway and all data flows in.

Having an Ethernet switch with POE has another advantage: it can power devices over the Ethernet cable. Good examples are cameras and wifi access points. Buy a Netgear WAX-214 (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WiFi-.../dp/B0BVGJQ6JP) and mount it where you would like wifi the most then connect it with an Ethernet cable to the switch, making sure you power that port on the switch. See how much range you get, it will probably work further than you think.

Now you can omit the Ethernet cable and use wifi instead: all data is automatically also available on wifi. You can add more of those WAX214’s to address blind spots in the aluminum hull as they are cost effective.

Same experiments can be done with cameras. Think of one looking forward over deck or even from a spreader (see reefs, shallows) or one with night vision in the engine room etc.

Now I have another tip: for things like wind instruments and VHF radios I like NMEA0183 because it works better for those two. Instead of wiring those directly to your multiplexer, you can use a NMEA0183 wifi gateway (https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...3-wifi-gateway) and configure this to connect to your wifi and to the NMEA2000 Ethernet gateway which will do the conversion to NMEA2000. That gateway I linked can do this for two NMEA0183 devices so the radio too. Now, if you get a lightning strike into the masthead windinstrument or vhf antenna, the destructive surge can not go straight into your NMEA2000 network to take out all electronics, because you have the air gap created by the wifi link.

Anyway, this describes a different path than the one you are on and while it is hard to step over, it would be the better option and you would agree looking back in a couple years.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:51   #57

Yes Thank you Jedi....
Thank you so much, for taking the time to read through the thread so thoroughly!
Your vision and foresight is appreciated, you are clearly well versed in these technologies.

You are messing with obsolete technology and wiring which is a path of hurt as you feel now…. and it will only get worse. Consider doing this properly, with modern solid technology that is future proof.

“It’s a trap!”

As you speak from a "Jedi" point of view, one might think your opinion of older, outdated, and obsolete technology, might be a little more inclined to reverence for a path taken by those before… Not to say we are averse to new things…
Although we still use Paper charts, compass, sextant, astrolabe, and a mechanical log, the comfort and ease that the newer technologies grant, are appreciated. Especially from the warmth and comfort of the heated pilot house, during a howling November Southerly. The Helm in the quarter deck is for the young!

- Admiral Ackbar- Was correct...

So start with an Ethernet network throughout the boat. Buy a switch such as the netgear gs-308 managed/poe and install that in a central location. Power it with a good quality dc-dc converter that outputs 48V. For starters, disable power to all ports in the configuration.
Ethernet IS ACTUALLY next on the list.
But to use ethernet successfully, each component must firstly work, correctly, completely, and reliably…

Now look at your instruments. Hopefully you have an NMEA2000 network? I understand you also have nmea0183 components (which are mostly obsolete but not for wind instruments and I like it for VHF as well)
You have a device that I am unfamiliar with but it can multiplex NMEA ports and convert to/from NMEA2000? If so, set that up like others recommended, interconnecting all parts so that everything becomes available on NMEA2000 which is the current standard.

The first upgrade made to the vessel was to upgrade the wind and water transducers to NMEA 2000…
These devices were not without trouble. Just running independently, doing only the basic job that each transducer was meant to preform, there was a problem with lose of data to the Multi Function Display…
Time and Money taken to convince the manufacturer that there was a failure in their unit was huge.

Now add a Yacht Devices NMEA2000 Ethernet gateway to the system which interconnects the NMEA2000 with the Ethernet network you installed.
This new QK A034 is meant to do all this and more. As yet, there are no 0183 components, but to use your words, “future proof” is what this new QK A034 is meant to provide. It has facility to input three 0183 feeds. Convert these to N2K, and Input for N2k from the Back-Bone. Network via ethernet and wifi, and output to USB for use on lap tops and Open CPN.

Anyway, this describes a different path than the one you are on and while it is hard to step over, it would be the better option and you would agree looking back in a couple years.

We are very much ON THE PATH you have just described. And we agree right now!
This is the better path!

For us mere mortals not blessed with the "Nanites" of the FORCE in our blood, or the fiscal foundation, to lather ourselves, and our vessel with the comforts and luxuries of all that the "Imperial Overlords" enjoy. We must work within our resources to overcome.

In a perfect world, that was loaded with free resources, this would be exactly where we are going.

Being that we are currently in a nation ruled by a cruel, corrupt dictator that harvests funds from his citizens in the form of CARBON and CONSUMPTION taxes, seizing bank accounts, and property. I must follow a slower and somewhat more cautious and frugal path...

For the Next year or two, I am bound by financial restraint, and must focus on the usefulness of the hardware and appliances held within.
For the Immediate future....
We must get this QK unit doing the job it was designed and built for.
Then, we must save $ to facilitate 7K worth of L16 deep cycle batteries...
Please do not open the "Pandoras Box" regarding "new tech" batteries.

Your suggestions have not fallen on deaf-ears, merely the ears of an over-taxed, demoralized, frustrated, sailor looking to untie the bonds of tax-slavery, and sail away from the greedy, and prying eyes of Big-Brother.

Okay here a comment that you probably won’t like but it needs to be said. Please don’t take this the wrong way as this is meant to be helpful in the long term. Take a step back and think this over:

If you look closely, you will see, you are Preaching to the CONVERTED!
We have enjoyed your comments, Please continue.
We enjoy good informative debate, even when they argue the same point in the same direction.
Old 15-12-2023, 11:47   #58

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
This new QK A034 is meant to do all this and more. As yet, there are no 0183 components, but to use your words, “future proof” is what this new QK A034 is meant to provide. It has facility to input three 0183 feeds. Convert these to N2K, and Input for N2k from the Back-Bone. Network via ethernet and wifi, and output to USB for use on lap tops and Open CPN
Please don't use colors in your post. I can't read anything you quoted in yellow, and it hurts my eyes to look at it. You can use the quote tag to differentiate between quoted text and your response.

0183 is old and nearly dead. If your boat doesn't have it now, it likely never will. So having that, or the even more dead Seatalk 1, interfaces is not futureproofing.

I agree that Ethernet is the better way to go. It would make the QK obsolete and not needed. If your intent on the QK was to future proof the boat, I am sorry to say, it doesn't do that. The QK is a bridge between very old (1983) to old (2000) technologies. It's a way to continue to use obsolete equipment with more modern versions, but doesn't have a path forward to newer protocols.

With that said, even though Ethernet is better way to proceed, I don't see anything wrong with using the USB interface on the QK if you can get it to work. At this point that might be by contacting support. I don't see anything wrong with your configuration.
Old 15-12-2023, 11:53   #59

Okay...
we have cycled through each different baud rate, one at a time, restarting the QK, laptop, and OCPN after each new setting...

No changes.
Old 15-12-2023, 11:58   #60

Sorry about the yellow highlight Warren...
I will do better next time.

That entry was meant more for entertainment.

I do agree, that the QK might not be the solve-all that the manufacturers say.
Is does have the facility for network and wifi. so we will continue.

Tags
garmin