Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 14:01   #76

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Do we need/want an AIS filter?

LeaseOnLife, isn't this the same as the file Hartmut recorded?
Hartmut-Netherlands-Markermeer-Wind-AIS.txt
about 29 mb unpacked? This file is also avail in OpenCPN Beta File Thingie under Nmea.

This file causes my hard disk to run fast and hot. The CPU is obviously very busy. Never considered that the CPU operation might be a programming issue which has been around a long time. [Totally separate issue from RooieDirk's Target Scaling improvements!]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmut-Netherlands-with-Target-Scaling.png
Views:	179
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	114429  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 14:19   #77

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
LeaseOnLife, isn't this the same as the file Hartmut recorded?
Hartmut-Netherlands-Markermeer-Wind-AIS.txt
about 29 mb unpacked? This file is also avail in OpenCPN Beta File Thingie under Nmea.

This file causes my hard disk to run fast and hot. The CPU is obviously very busy. Never considered that the CPU operation might be a programming issue which has been around a long time. [Totally separate issue from RooieDirk's Target Scaling improvements!]
Rick: not the same file, I recorded it today, add it to your file thinghy if you want, it shows targets from many places around the world:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS-ww.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	114430  
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 16:58   #78

Thanks Dirk, yes, I did get it going, trouble with python server. Will add it...wow
Old 08-12-2015, 00:35   #79

Boat: Najad 34

Dirk..
Today's OCPN update has a conflict merging into your AIS-filter, probably commit ecae262aa95cca5c70f39007581b57ca6174837c. It's to much for me to solve in my copy. Maybe you could check that?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:14   #80

Boat: Oneoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Dirk..
Today's OCPN update has a conflict merging into your AIS-filter, probably commit ecae262aa95cca5c70f39007581b57ca6174837c. It's to much for me to solve in my copy. Maybe you could check that?
Håkan
Ah Thank you Sean ;-(. (Sean did add OpenGL drawing of AIS targets, which is of course very good, only I have to fit in the scaling again.)
Old 08-12-2015, 16:34   #81

Tried git fetch --all
and then updated it to current.

Then was able to compile it.
However I cannot seem to package it.

Quote:
C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN-Target_Display_Filter\build>cpack
CPack: Create package using NSIS
CPack: Install projects
CPack: - Install project: opencpn
CMake Error at C:/Users/Rick/Documents/GitHub/OpenCPN-Target_Display_Filter/build/cmake_install.cmake:213 (file):
file INSTALL cannot find
"C:/Users/Rick/Documents/GitHub/OpenCPN-Target_Display_Filter/buildwin/crashrpt/CrashRpt1402.dll".

CPack Error: Error when generating package: OpenCPN

C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN-Target_Display_Filter\build>
This file does exist:
"C:/Users/Rick/Documents/GitHub/OpenCPN-Target_Display_Filter/buildwin/crashrpt/CrashRpt1402.dll".
Old 09-12-2015, 00:44   #82

Rick,
It turned out that my git was somehow corupted.
Also Sean did a major overhaul of the AIS target drawing(add OpenGL), wich includes partly scaling already.
As the consensus here is, that targetscaling is a good idea, I start a rewrite on Seans new code. Will take a few days.
Dirk
Old 09-12-2015, 04:55   #83

Thanks Dirk, will wait for your post.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:38   #84

A few questions about the AIS toolbar Button cycle trough.
  1. Should we keep the option "Hide anchorer/moored...." and shorten the cycle if not checked, or have it always in the cycle.
  2. Same for the "Scaled option", should there be an checkbox in the options are just always in the cycle.
  3. Should the state of the cycle be saved when closing down.
  4. When[3] should the state always be updated at start up? (this makes it possible that at startup there are hidden targets, and the user might not be aware of this).
Please some thoughts about above.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45   #85

rooie I have 24 hr bug (my dear wife had it too).. Will respond tomorrow when I am thinking more clearly. Sorry.
Old 10-12-2015, 16:17   #86

My views/Qs further down
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
A few questions about the AIS toolbar Button cycle trough.
  1. Should we keep the option "Hide anchorer/moored...." and shorten the cycle if not checked, or have it always in the cycle.
  2. Same for the "Scaled option", should there be an checkbox in the options are just always in the cycle.
  3. Should the state of the cycle be saved when closing down.
  4. When[3] should the state always be updated at start up? (this makes it possible that at startup there are hidden targets, and the user might not be aware of this).
Please some thoughts about above.
1. Keep present option for these using it. Don't ever hide targets if I didn't explicitly choose it. (Or did I misunderstood the question?)
2. Don't quit understand the Q.
3-4. I'm not sure I understand this correct either, but never hide targets, except for what said in 1.

Håkan
Old 10-12-2015, 17:26   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FWIW, here is a Panbo piece about Raymarine's new AIS alarm filtering: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Raymarine AIS intercept graphics, better collision avoidance?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 00:13   #88

@Hakan
The context of my questions:
As we have it now, there is a AIS toolbar btn for switching AIS on off, and an checkbox in the option page for hiding anchord/moored targets.
Or two places for regulating the display of targets.
As discussed earlier this thread I like to have it in one place. Therefore I made the AIS toolbar button cycle to the option available. ( 1 click is hide all, next click hide moored, and another click scale targets )
The possibilities we have are:
  • Make the AIS button a simple 4 step cycle (all on, all off, hide moored, scaled).
  • Make the cycle depending of the options in the option menu. That is if I choose for "hide moored" in options, only then it is added to the cycle.
I have a slight preference for the last. But some thought from the community are welcomed.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:43   #89

Dirk
Thanks for the excellent explanation. That saved my lazy mind from reading back, which I with your comments in mind should have done. But now it's also well compressed to substantials.
Then to my view;
I can't imaging any reason to hide any AIS targets. I bought the AIS to be able to see them sending data and have never used the icon's hide function (It's even not shown on my nav-PC). Your scaling filter is though a good help in crowded areas, I do agree on that.
Also is the hide moored function never used in my set up. I do want to see those ships anchored outside coast line. Here and not less outside Netherlands in the middle of the Borkum - Cuxhafen track for example.
But if you and others disagree and your described function of the icon is implemented it's very important that any hiding function is obvious. Very clear! And not only a little tiny, more or less visible, change of the icon's appearance.

Well, l may overreact here? If you and others like your suggested functions you've a nice solution and I can keep my icon hidden to avoid unintentional mouse clicks.
In that case I do like to have the scaling ON/OFF option in tools-options menu as well.

Håkan
Old 11-12-2015, 12:57   #90

Dirk wrote:
Quote:
Now, there is a AIS toolbar btn for switching AIS on off, and a checkbox in the option page for hiding anchord/moored targets.
Or two places for regulating the display of targets.
..like to have it in one place.. made the AIS toolbar button cycle to the option available. The possibilities we have are:
  • Make the AIS button a simple 4 step cycle (all on, all off, hide moored, scaled).
  • Make the cycle depending on the options in the option menu. That is if I choose for "hide moored" in options, only then it is added to the cycle.
I have a slight preference for the last. But some thought from the community are welcomed.
Dirk,
I think I prefer the second option which allows the user to "activate" the feature and have it as one of the buttons.

I have noticed a number of requests regarding greater control for Alarms/Acknowledgement so that they can be turned off in various ways.
1. Stop the Sound Alarm to avoid confusion with other alarms.
2. Stop the requirement to Acknowledge Alarms for very dense areas.
3. Engage a dueling vessel filter.
Do you have some ideas for that?

How would Ocean, Coastal, Harbor, Off settings fit? Maybe they aren't needed for some reason?

Finally, in the current version, I installed directly over my current version of 4.1.1108 also compiled today. The Target_Scaled AIS vessels are not showing up.
I do not want to uninstall and loose my opencpn.ini because I will loose all my charts, directories, groups, etc. so I assume I am missing some settings for AIS in my opencpn.ini.

Can you suggest where I would find those settings so I can add them? Perhaps I have to save my opencpn.ini somewhere, uninstall Opencpn v4.1.1108. Then install your version v4.1.1108 and see what the opencpn.ini is. Add those settings into my main opencpn.ini and then go from there?

Another comment, regarding ease of testing... It would be very nice if you made your version 4.1.1108A so that it would install to a new directory. It would make it easier for us, but I don't know what it would do on your end.

Tags
ais