Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 13:09   #1

Do I need a screensaver?

I'm just starting to install my system in my boat. I’m using a Rpi 3 mounted to the official 7” screen, Open CPN and Open Plotter, with the hardware mounted below in the cabin. I plan to use a phone or tablet via VNC while in the cockpit. The 7” screen is on all the time while the Pi is running.

Does it make sense to use a screensaver or somehow de-power the screen to conserve my limited battery power?

FYI, I’m not versed in Linux or using the command line and so far do everything from installed programs. I haven’t found any settings for the Pi to disable the screen and I don’t really know if it would make any difference in power consumption. Thanks in advance.
jjccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 13:21   #2
Moo

Re: Do I need a screensaver?

You can just configure the screen saver on the pi. Minimise OP and you should see the desktop.

However with VNC you are essentially seeing the screen of the host so if that is 'saved' won't the VNC client be saved too? Try it and see.

I run a pi headless i.e. No screen and access it via RDP.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 12:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
You can just configure the screen saver on the pi. Minimise OP and you should see the desktop.

However with VNC you are essentially seeing the screen of the host so if that is 'saved' won't the VNC client be saved too? Try it and see.

I run a pi headless i.e. No screen and access it via RDP.
Moo, thanks for the info. Since I'm new to VNC, I hadn't considered your point. That may be an issue, I haven't tried it yet.

I cant' see any items on any menus on my Pi that show a screensaver.

Maybe I'll go in a different direction. I'm not familiar with RDP, but I googled it. Is that a windows program? I'm not using windows, can I still make it work?
Old 14-05-2020, 18:22   #4
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjccp View Post
Moo, thanks for the info. Since I'm new to VNC, I hadn't considered your point. That may be an issue, I haven't tried it yet.

I cant' see any items on any menus on my Pi that show a screensaver.

Maybe I'll go in a different direction. I'm not familiar with RDP, but I googled it. Is that a windows program? I'm not using windows, can I still make it work?
RDP is just a protocol. I use it on android. Haven't tried on an apple as I don't support Steve jobs' estate

The screen saver is there in display settings somewhere. I'll find it later and try to guide you.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:31   #5

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

you can get the rdp client for mac from the app store. It is called "Microsoft remote desktop connection". For the RDP server on the PI, use XRDP. You can find howto instructions for your OS. Here is a random one:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-ins...-raspberry-pi/
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeith View Post
you can get the rdp client for mac from the app store. It is called "Microsoft remote desktop connection". For the RDP server on the PI, use XRDP. You can find howto instructions for your OS. Here is a random one:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-ins...-raspberry-pi/
Thanks skkeith. I don't have any Mac equipment, not sure how that got in the discussion. Just trying to find a practical way to view Open CPN from the cockpit with a tablet or phone without having the 7 inch screen running all the time. I'll take a look at your link. Thanks again.
Old 22-05-2020, 12:19   #7

I just upgraded to Openplotter 2.0 and it has a screensaver. Thanks for the help.

Tags
screen