Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 02:49   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Chart sources UK and adjacent areas

I have been using Navionics charts extensively on MacENC but am now migrating to OpenCPN.

Next season I will be cruising only on the UK south coast, West Country and France and Channel Islands. So I have purchased the oeSENC charts for British Isles and France Atlantic. There are various 'holes' in coverage as mentioned on the o-charts web site. I have already found other areas where detail is inadequate for navigation, such as Christchurch, Dorset, the Swinge channel near Alderney. No doubt there are others.

What do other users recommend as an alternative or for infilling? o-charts suggest buying S-63 charts but it is hard to find what I need without the ChartWorld Graphical Chart Selection tool and I am Mac only so cannot install it. The Navionics S-63 charts on ChartWorld are expensive.

Having detailed charts available for places one might end up diverting to as a refuge - not just planned ports - is looking very expensive.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:47   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Chart sources UK and adjacent areas

The raster charts from VisitMyHarbor would be an addition, but they are not available for macOS - if this has not changed lately.

We are evaluating to add the UK charts to the oeRNC raster portfolio. The issue here that this implies some editing work on the o-charts side.

As a response that UKHO over the years does not achieve to make the information in vector format available for the normal user.

To select single S-63 additions here a site showing available cells:
IC-ENC World Catalogue
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote