Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2023, 11:26   #1

Boat: 10.50 mètres
A problem with our security beacons in case of MOB

Hello,

Recently, one of our MOB security beacons was triggered by chance. The MMSI number of this beacon had been entered (we believe) in Options/Boat/MMSI OpenCPN.

No reaction from OpenCPN and yet the AIS was in operation!

Explanation, the MMSI entered was incorrect, but this number began with 972. It looked like a number from a message sent by a personal MOB beacon.

All MOB personal beacons have an MMSI that starts with 972 for us, and it seems to me that this is universal. SO, an idea came to me.

Why, if an MMSI number starting with 972 is received on the boat, by the AIS, since we are "certain" that, in this case, there is a man overboard in the environment of the boat, would not an alarm be triggered automatically displayed by OpenCPN?

And this alarm should not require any adjustment of OpenCPN options.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 15:54   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: A problem with our security beacons in case of MOB

Yes, 972 yy zzzz is reserved Man overboard DSC and/or AIS devices. Also note 970 yy zzzz for Search and Rescue Transponders.

More info on MMSI leading digits - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariti...rvice_Identity
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 22:22   #3

Boat: Other people's boats

Can you briefly describe the specific circumstances? E.g. "was about to do a test inflation of the PFD and forgot to disarm it; plastic cover flipped off and it started blinking...." How quickly did you realize it was triggered and what happened then? For example, the MOB1 has a 15 second delay before it actually starts transmitting.

As for the entry in OpenCPN, it should be easy enough to pop open the preferences and verify both the number and the preferences (tracking / no-tracking, treat as MOB, etc).

Ah, one last question: was the beacon detected via AIS and it was just the lack of an explicit MOB alert that was the issue, or did it not appear at all?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 01:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Can you briefly describe the specific circumstances? E.g. ......
Hello Requiem,

Hmm... It seems to me that you are a little off topic.

Regardless of the initial reason for my reflection, only my final request matters, namely, that an alarm is triggered automatically, in OpenCPN, if the AIS receives an MMSI number that begins with 972.

The only limitation could be that the MOB is not too far from the boat.

Gilletarom.
Old 28-10-2023, 10:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Have you looked at this?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ttons:ais:sart
Old 28-10-2023, 10:45   #6

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

let's say that cannot understand the question.

regardless of registered in the options menu or not it should trigger the alarm, because as you said it a MMSI registered as SAR beacon.

we should have to ask first, why the alarm was not triggered?

it would be a good start for a program bug, I guess.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 11:21   #7

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Regardless of the initial reason for my reflection, only my final request matters, namely, that an alarm is triggered automatically, in OpenCPN, if the AIS receives an MMSI number that begins with 972.

The only limitation could be that the MOB is not too far from the boat.

Gilletarom.
A SART, i.e. with a mmsi starting at 97, does trigger an alarm, and a MOB if stated in mmsi-properties, if, and only if, it's reported status is "Active". Otherwise it's handled as a test message and a SART target is drawn and the AIS target table is updated. But neither alarm nor mmsi-properties MOB.
Code:
else if (Class == AIS_SART) {
    if (NavStatus == RESERVED_14)
      navStatStr = _("Active");
    else if (NavStatus == UNDEFINED)
      navStatStr = _("Testing")
Are you sure your device has really sent an "Active" message and not a "Test"?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 04:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
A SART, i.e. with a mmsi starting at 97, does trigger an alarm, and a MOB if stated in mmsi-properties, if, and only if, it's reported status is "Active". Otherwise it's handled as a test message and a SART target is drawn and the AIS target table is updated. But neither alarm nor mmsi-properties MOB.
Code:
else if (Class == AIS_SART) {
    if (NavStatus == RESERVED_14)
      navStatStr = _("Active");
    else if (NavStatus == UNDEFINED)
       navStatStr = _("Testing")
Are you sure your device has really sent an "Active" message and not a "Test"?
Hello Hakan,

Yesterday I returned to the boat to test the beacon.

- On the opencpn screen, I never saw a display telling me that the tag was being tested.

- On the other hand, I was able to observe the triggering of the beacon signaling a man overboard: red flash, sound signal (after having chosen it).

But :
- I do not understand what the purpose of the declaration in the "Options/Boats/MMSI" page of the MMSI of the beacon is,
- nor what is the point of saying, in this same page, that this MMSI must be considered as that of a MOB tag.

I will need to retest this beacon more carefully to better understand.
Old 30-10-2023, 06:59   #9

Quote:
I do not understand what the purpose of the declaration in the "Options/Boats/MMSI" page of the MMSI of the beacon is,
- nor what is the point of saying, in this same page, that this MMSI must be considered as that of a MOB tag.
I understand this option is to allow you to specify a "normal" MMSI number (one that does not have a 970, 972 or 974 prefix) that when a transmission is received is displayed as an alert. Used for some of the MOB fobs.

IIRC quite some time ago, Hakan and myself verified SART/MOB/EPIRB and DSC Distress alerts and all were displayed correctly. SART/MOB/EPIRB devices under test (which have the AIS Navigation Status set to 15, instead of 14) do not generate an alert, but are still displayed correctly.

However it seems that Options/Ships/MMSI preferences and setting a MMSI number to be displayed as an alert does not work as expected. Could someone else verify if this is indeed yet another bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mob-live-1.png
Views:	31
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	282813   Click image for larger version

Name:	mob-test-1.png
Views:	28
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	282814  

Click image for larger version

Name:	epirb.jpg