Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 03:26   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Toasted?

My vote is for the outboard option, until you luck accross an inboard / re-build it yourself at own pace (as and when cash, parts and skills available).

If all the outboard you can get does no more than manouever the boat to a dock at a couple of knots, in good conditions (rather than, say, power you along at double digit speeds - whilst towing a waterskier!), then it will restrict where and when you can go places - but with no fixed schedule those can be worked around (even if you can't do everything you want to). But nonetheless a touch of power (even only a knot or 2) will increase your options / make life easier than sail / no power alone.

Whilst the temptation may be to find somewhere to base the boat until the engine is fixed (and the money arrives to do so) - always a risk that she then never goes places......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 04:39   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post

2) Why is NSW such a horrid place to own a boat?
Fixed -

Name two good things about NSW -
1, the road north
2, it keeps Victoria further away.

BTW - ITS A JOKE JOYCE
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 05:42   #63

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Fixed -

Name two good things about NSW -
1, the road north
2, it keeps Victoria further away.

BTW - ITS A JOKE JOYCE

I am offended, upset, displeased and all together put out.
I will let is slide if you promise to let us win at least one State of Origin
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 05:45   #64

Quote:
Talking good karma I had an epithany today. While I carefully cleaned the bolts and the newly tapped holes, I have a really bad feeling I forgot to do the same where I tapped the flywheel. That is, while I used Loctite primer on the cleaned parts, all I have really done is relocate the tapping fluid from the flywheel to the cleaned threads. No wonder the Loctite failed?

Still, things must happen for a reason and I am sure my old girl is haunted causing it to happen only too often. Firstly, if I can do a decent repair I still need to address the underlying vibration. Secondly, on a parts mission I might have discovered what is left of the real local yachting scene near a mooring that gives me sailing access to the open ocean. Maybe things happen for a reason?
Got to be happy with that! Glads to hear things are looking a little more positive....
Hang in there.
As for tinnies in narrow channels don't get me started
Old 29-05-2012, 09:03   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

My engine rebuild started because the splines on my wheel had stripped. Speculation was that the imbalance caused by having an over sized alternator off the side of the engine had led to it. I decided to forego the massive alternator and just use the small primary one. I have large solar panels and Honda when needed so I figured it was worth trying.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 00:23   #66

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Thanks again for all the positive replies!

At the least I can can say I am gaining a lot of hands on experience with tools. This should give me a bit of confidence for getting in and fixing the bigger problems.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:34   #67

Send a message via ICQ to emmo

Just checking to see if all is well Shane,
Cheers Emmo
Old 15-06-2012, 17:00   #68

It is difficult to imagine, but things got worse. I sailed the boat down to Manly for the surf comp and anchored off in what I thought was a protected cove. The NSW cruiser's bible states the cove is "untenable" in westerly conditions. Ok then, the intense southerly predicted should come over the massive headland and saftely swing me out to sea. Wrong, the wind funnelled up Middle Harbour turning it into a SW gale from hell carrying me off into an anchorage.

On the bright side, it turned out to be a once in a ten year storm and I made it with minimal damage to another boat and my own. I am now at a really nice little marina waiting to finalise the insurance. While the surf comp turned into a bummer, there are a lot of friendly people around here. There are also heaps of beautiful classic boats moored around me.

Oh, when I get the bowsprit repaired I am going to have a minnor modification so it takes a bigger high holding power anchor. It would not have made any difference in the latest drama, but after all that has happened it does not hurt to be even more cautious.
Old 15-06-2012, 18:06   #69
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 01:51   #70

Send a message via ICQ to emmo

Hi Shane, there is an ad on "Seabreeze", a yacht club in Geelong selling their workboat, has a recon Buck 20 hp, $1500
Cheers, Emmo
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I hate to be the guy to cr@p in your Wheatabix but I don't think the police are required to be a towing service.

Yes you've had a bad run of luck with the motor. Yes you are on a budget.

But they should tow you back to the lake? How far is that?

So far you had a couple of not quite emergencies and have had to tie up in places you are not normally supposed to tie up. What if some other dude was camped on that police mooring when you needed to use it for your emergency?

In the US you'd call US Tow and be responsible to get your boat out of channels, navigation ways and off private and restricted moorings.

Around here in Singapore we are constantly arranging buddy tows, some of quite some length.

I did about a 1 1/2 hour tow on a guy who's engine gave up the ghost. It was in a river and sailing was not possible at this point in the journey. My boat at wot threatened to overheat twice and we had to proceed at reduced throttle.

Don't understimate how tough towing is on the good samaritan's equipment and boat.

If you need an engine to navigate your boat in and out of channels, avoid other traffic and generally get around then, sorry, it's your job as boat owner to get it sorted.

Maybe the NSW water police are in a conspiracy against you but my observation of the thousands of boats in Sydney on a weekend indicates they are not all having the same experience as you...

Sorry if I sound harsh and good luck with your boat recovery.

Talking about yachties in need of a tow you should have seen today's carnage at Little Manly Cove (Where I got caught out) with three yachts on the shore and one at Manly Cove.

It was not nice to see, but it dose at least it makes me feel better that I did not end up on the beach or even rocks as did the little blue boat. I was talking to her owner and he only had the mooring serviced two weeks ago. It still broke. That was four yachts in the one day, three being newish bigger production yachts.

Oh, bought myself a Sacra Excell 4. Some might call it overkill, but after my bad experiences I call her necessary safety gear!

Sorry I could not post photos here. My smart phone does not want to work on attachments. Maybe something the moderators could look into?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08   #72

Thumbs up Re: Toasted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmo View Post
Hi Shane, there is an ad on "Seabreeze", a yacht club in Geelong selling their workboat, has a recon Buck 20 hp, $1500
Cheers, Emmo
Thanks heaps, I will have a look!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14   #73

Hey Shane,

Also check out these guys.

BUKH DV20 ENGINE PARTS | Lacey Marine Engineering

They are up here in Newport.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
Hey Shane,

Also check out these guys.

BUKH DV20 ENGINE PARTS | Lacey Marine Engineering

They are up here in Newport.
Thanks again,

You would not believe it, I met one of there technicians at the marina I am at. He had just delivered a Yanmar. I asked him if he had any Bukhs for wreaking. His answer was "How many do you want"!

I got his card. After I buy what the insurance did not cover I will give them a call, if not sooner. At the moment I am lucky enough to have a decent outboard an old mate gave me. I am getting keen though to do a good job fixing the old iron horse.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:55   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Talking about yachties in need of a tow you should have seen today's carnage at Little Manly Cove (Where I got caught out) with three yachts on the shore and one at Manly Cove.

It was not nice to see, but it dose at least it makes me feel better that I did not end up on the beach or even rocks as did the little blue boat. I was talking to her owner and he only had the mooring serviced two weeks ago. It still broke. That was four yachts in the one day, three being newish bigger production yachts.

Oh, bought myself a Sacra Excell 4. Some might call it overkill, but after my bad experiences I call her necessary safety gear!

Sorry I could not post photos here. My smart phone does not want to work on attachments. Maybe something the moderators could look into?
Aren't all the "good" Aussie sailors in England collecting medals?

Despite the Aussie's "overall" showing in medal count the sailors are doing quite well...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote