Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 14:38   #31

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: Seasickness, Fear & anxiety

If I ever get a feeling that someone is getting anxious or seasick, I put them on the helm. On my charters and crossings, I put the most anxious at the helm and leave them for awhile until their nerves calm. I teach them the GPS, autohelm, compass heading, etc. They calm down pretty quick when they are steering the boat. Or in control.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 17:11   #32

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
It is a common usage, depending on the medical status of the patient.

It's a beta blocker with reduces heart rate and reduces BP. As a retired psych nurse I saw it used for that purpose.

It has issues. It can play a role in developing diabetes and can be troublesome to get off of if used regularly. It messes with some peoples sleep and can have side effects of dizziness and nausea.

It's not for people with heart conditions, asthma, emphysema or liver disease.

So Nick, that is not its original use, but yes, it can be used for anxiety, alcohol withdrawal and other purposes.

That said, talk to a psychiatrist known to be a skillful prescriber for drug advice, not here, if you want a good result.
I would say DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH DRUGS LIKE THIS. I used to take beta blockers GP prescribed for medical condition for many years. Not long after I retired (& lost the work stress) I had other issues - including my heart apparently missing a beat or three 84 times in 24 hours while on 24 hour ECG. Cardiologist said stop the beta blockers. Problem solved.

I suffer from seasickness - its no fun but (mostly) not so bad once you get used to it. Throwing up is not so bad. Wanting to throw up without doing so is bad....but its so unfair - my wife hates sailing & is bulletproof. I think of it as God's little joke.

Stugeron works for me (almost always) but I take it the night before to get it into my system & follow the 8 hour dosage definitely - with an extra tablet after 4 hours if feeling a bit iffy. Talk to your doctor. Its not a stupid thing to talk about.

Do not continue frequently vomiting (dry heaves) long term - it can mess your guts up. Go below, lie down somewhere secure & warm, close your eyes & dream of nicer things... It works. I need to do this only about once every 2 to 3 years - normally the stugeron works.

Its a real PITA but mostly not. I dont do long passages - several days - so port hop - due to this & I try to pick my weather conditions, being skipper helps but obviously one has to be fair to crew. However if I'm being sick & say I want to turn back & they want to go on, I will say OK but you do it without me - I will be in my bunk unless things get desperate. So sail with experienced people who can do that as long as they know the score.

TBH, you sound like you have a stronger stomach than me. Liverwurst sandwiches? Try to eat things that taste good both ways....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 17:21   #33

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

TBH, you sound like you have a stronger stomach than me. Liverwurst sandwiches? Try to eat things that taste good both ways....

Sorry, I see now that was someone else...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 19:55   #34

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Roque:

Over the years I've had sea sickness and agree it ain't no fun.
-The Old Nova Scotia Fisherman's solution: Keep a large dry biscuit in your pocket and frequently nibble on it. An empty stomach is an invitation to getting sea sick.
-The very expensive solution: When I worked 11 months and sailed 1 month per year
I always got seasick early in the year. When I took a seven year sabbatical, my body eventually got accustomed to the motion and I never needed Stugeron again.
-And finally to expand upon Clivevon's comment on taste, here's what an auditorium full of wannabe real-time cruisers heard Irving Johnson--he of 7 circumnavigations--advise : Always eat pineapple on your last meal ashore....it's the only food know to Man that tastes the same coming up as it did going down.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 20:25   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Following along. I tend to get sea sick but it’s usually all anxiety driven (the worry that I’ll get sea sick makes me sea sick). I’ve tried the relief band and so far it works for me. Somewhat skeptical but if it works it works. That and anxiety medication are my current go to for longer trips.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Ahoy Roque:

Over the years I've had sea sickness and agree it ain't no fun.
-The Old Nova Scotia Fisherman's solution: Keep a large dry biscuit in your pocket and frequently nibble on it. An empty stomach is an invitation to getting sea sick.
-The very expensive solution: When I worked 11 months and sailed 1 month per year
I always got seasick early in the year. When I took a seven year sabbatical, my body eventually got accustomed to the motion and I never needed Stugeron again.
-And finally to expand upon Clivevon's comment on taste, here's what an auditorium full of wannabe real-time cruisers heard Irving Johnson--he of 7 circumnavigations--advise : Always eat pineapple on your last meal ashore....it's the only food know to Man that tastes the same coming up as it did going down.

That last line cracked me up. So true.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:05   #37

I have heard that one foam ear plug in the left ear, if your right handed works remarkably well.
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:12   #38

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I, too, frequently suffer from sea sickness and have found several techniques that minimize its affects.

1. Avoid alcoholic beverages 48 to 72 hours before a passage. If you’re underway, I recommend not consuming any alcoholic beverages.
2. Increase your intake of liquids that help raise your electrolyte levels prior to passage making - we like Emergen-C.
3. When underway, avoid spending time below. Stay in the fresh air and focus on the horizon.
4. Reading or spending time on a computer/tablet makes it worse for me. Hand steering often helps.
5. I often take small doses of Stugeron, starting before the passage or before weather deteriorates, if so forecasted.
6. Sometimes it’s better to go ahead and spew, getting it over with, as almost always it will bring immediate relief.
7. Experiment with different remedies as people will often respond to some techniques and not others.
8. Remind yourself that no matter how bad it gets, you’re going to make it. People have survived far worse than you’re experiencing. You’re going to be okay.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 23:45   #39

Boat: Leopard 40

I suffer from sea sickness as well. Basically, I've tried everything from ginger to wrist bands and Sturgeon. The only thing that works for me is Meclizine.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 01:45   #40

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

I apologise for this late response.
I am 77 and have used insulin as a type 1 diabetic for 40 years. I currently sail a 1/4 tonner but have raced and cruised various distances in different craft. I trust no one either skipper or crew will take medicine at sea without medical approval, and also by exchanging the details with the others on board. I have used Stugeron on occasion starting as was mentioned earlier at least 24 hours before departure, and others have used the wrist bands that press on the wrist at the carpel tunnel.
One problem is when off watch; you must rest but in bad weather be available for an "all hands" call. Then, keeping occupied by helming or navigating does help, and doing small, possibly boring, but necessary jobs gives a positive mind set as part of the team.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 04:34   #41

Boat: Windrider RAVE

Meclizne works for me, I take 1 prior to departure hours later if I get anxious about getting sea sick I may take another even though it says 24 hours but taking the other is probably the placebo affect.

I get lightly anxious about getting sea sick which probably contributes.

Day 1 of helping a forum member move their 38 foot Admiral Cat from Key Biscayne to North Carolina, I was feeling fine, I went forward to raise the main sail in nice weather but the sea state was a bit choppy. I went from just fine to queasy to throwing up in 15 minutes. I took a Meclizne tablet and while I felt queasy for a while longer eventually I got bored and just slept/dozed in the cockpit for most of the day.

I had (old) scopolamine patch's and used 1 when we had a 38 hour passage - they work for me too.

Toward the end of the 5 weeks my anxiety about getting sea sick subsided and I would just take 1 before departure and would be fine, even when we had a 36 hour passage that 1 was all I needed.

My next adventure as crew (hopefully soon) while I'll still bring the scopolamine patch's most likely I'll just end up taking Meclizne.

All the above said, looking at the horizon, steering, staying out in the fresh air, don't go inside/below, don't look at your phone/tablet/laptop, sew, really helps. If all else fails for me then I lay down (outside in the fresh air) and shut my eyes and nap/doze - with a Meclizne in me.

Wish I didn't get sea sick because I love to sail but I do and just take preemptive measures so I can keep sailing.
Sinbad_Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 04:37   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
This sounds like a cup of black coffee and a Dramamine. Repeat as required. Always worked for me. Beyond that if you regularly spend a long day on ocean at least twice a month you can gradually wean yourself off drugs.
Dramamine is good but skip the coffee which will put you on edge and possibly bring on seasickness.

Dramamine and a (as in one) beer would actually be better.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 07:05   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Fear and anxiety are not the same thing as seasickness however, they are commonly thought to be one in the same.

I thought my spouse and was suffering from seasickness after we encountered rough weather and storm conditions. Turns out this was a similar stress that triggered an anxiety attack during exams at university.

Notice the OP specifically wrote "I do kitesurfing, and I can go with 2 meters waves and 26/30 knots of wind and no problem" The OP also uses the word fear and anxiety.

What we may be dealing with here isn't seasickness. Instead it could be fear that the vessel will sink, fear it will hit a reef etc. Or perhaps just fear of being seasick and being embarrassed. The technical term for this is Emetophobia.

I cannot provide medical advice to the OP, however, I can inform the OP of how we treated my spouse. The condition required a visit to a physiatrist and prescription. In fact it was the same doctor that treated the anxiety caused by the university exams.

Important questions to the OP.

#1 Do the hairs on your forearm stand on end?
#2 Do your symptoms continue more than about 6 hours after you are back on solid ground.
#3 Do your symptoms begin occurring before you get on board.

Depending on your answers the solution to your problem is not a sea-sickness pill.

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxie...ar-of-vomiting
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 07:52   #44

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

As someone previous mentioned STUGERON.
I’m not particularly prone to sea sickness but have taken it several times on long swelly sectors. It’s worked for me without tiredness.
On one of these another crew was suffering so he took some of my Stugeron & recovered. When he stopped taking them he again reverted until he took some more.
My daughter does suffer from motion sickness easily and on a visit to us took these before some rocky day sails. Again no sickness.
It is certainly worth a try. 15 mg tablet a few hours before you sail and a tablet every 6-8 hours after that for a while. Not sure what medical restrictions there may be.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 08:06   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Fear and anxiety are not the same thing as seasickness however, they are commonly thought to be one in the same.

I thought my spouse and was suffering from seasickness after we encountered rough weather and storm conditions. Turns out this was a similar stress that triggered an anxiety attack during exams at university.

Notice the OP specifically wrote "I do kitesurfing, and I can go with 2 meters waves and 26/30 knots of wind and no problem" The OP also uses the word fear and anxiety.

What we may be dealing with here isn't seasickness. Instead it could be fear that the vessel will sink, fear it will hit a reef etc. Or perhaps just fear of being seasick and being embarrassed. The technical term for this is Emetophobia.

I cannot provide medical advice to the OP, however, I can inform the OP of how we treated my spouse. The condition required a visit to a physiatrist and prescription. In fact it was the same doctor that treated the anxiety caused by the university exams.

Important questions to the OP.

#1 Do the hairs on your forearm stand on end?
#2 Do your symptoms continue more than about 6 hours after you are back on solid ground.
#3 Do your symptoms begin occurring before you get on board.

Depending on your answers the solution to your problem is not a sea-sickness pill.

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxie...ar-of-vomiting
This is a very good post. This is what happens to me. It seems like the upset stomach kicks off anxiety for me when I get seasick. So instead of just being seasick, I feel the anxiety as well.

I should point out that Dramamine is actually a good over-the-counter solution to everything you mentioned above. It’s not good for staying alert, however, it will fix the upset stomach and Dramamine is actually what they give you when you go to the hospital to calm you down anyway. That drug has a 1-2 punch. It gets rid of motion sickness and it sedates the person that takes it. So, it’s perfect for this situation actually.

If the weather is looking really really dicey, or I have to be a below a lot, I’ll take a half a Dramamine it fixes it. On a day sailing basis. This is not an ocean crossings.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote