Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 04:59   #226

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
if there is "no hope for mankind" , then whats the point of "preppers"!!!

Dave
Good point!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:02   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
As stated, humanity is mad, there is no point in arguing with a madman. If you ask "what is the point of preppers", then you are arguing with a madman, which is insane.

In my delusional world, I am a prepper of sorts. It does not make a lot of sense, from a strictly logical view suicide is the only course. But that makes no sense for you then cede all control. So the only option is to embrace life and hope for a miracle. But you have to be alive for a miracle to help. Jay Fitzgerald said it all much better in SEASTEADING.
What ever happened to Jay? Last I knew he had given up the "seasteading" idea and moved ashore on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10   #228

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Good point!
It is just as good as "when epidemic or local war starts, commit suicide ASAP, do not try to run away".
Old 02-01-2014, 05:12   #229
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
It is just as good as "when epidemic or local war starts, commit suicide ASAP, do not try to run away".
I think the point being , that if you subscribe to the view that it all going to fail, then there is no where to run away to. and that includes boats , the sea and "preppers"

Dave
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27   #230

Maybe it makes more sense to "prep" for the rapture or you're next reincarnation depending on you're religious bend. The atheists of course might as well chose suicide.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:31   #231

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think the point being , that if you subscribe to the view that it all going to fail, then there is no where to run away to. and that includes boats , the sea and "preppers"
Why is that? Of course if mankind presses the nuclear button, there will be nowhere to run to (well, almost nowhere), but in other less drastic cases, there is still room for individual survival.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05   #232

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK, since I was chastised by our benevolent dictator for not being specific enough (and since this is just mental masturbation), what I would do is address the issues of over-consumtion of the Earth's resources by the minority of us. I would do this by forcing (since I have all authority and coercive power) rich western dwellers to reduce their resource use to at least the global average, if not lower. How? Through force and coercion. But also through a forced change in the economic system. Capitalist consumerism is one of the two critical causes of the problems this planet faces. The other is over-population. Fixing the latter would be a lot easier if we fix the former first. How?:
  • Immediate redistribution of wealth and resource-access from the global one-percenters (us) to the rest of the world. Large families are, in part, a response to poverty. We can address overpopulation by reducing poverty. This would lead to a cascade of changes like enhanced education and empowering women, which as we know, is the single best way to reduce family size.
  • Markets would be restricted to providing what people need to live at a level that the globe can sustain. For many this will result in an increase in living standards. People like us will all be reduced significantly.
  • With the end of the need for profit, and a global reduction in living standards (mostly for us ... many would rise), there would be no need to produce obscene excess, so resource use would drop.
  • Immediately end to all fossil fuel use in the developed world. Slowly wean the rest off.
  • Shift massive resources into building sustainable energy resources, including nuclear.
Of course, none of the above is going to happen. If you really want to do something then I suggested a number of things back in post #60. These are things that could make a real difference, and are immediately doable.

But I understand... this is just a game.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45   #233
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It is my feeling that a pandemic will cure our overpopulation problem. Given the frequency of air travel and use of touch panels in public places, makes it ripe for a bioterrorist or just plain old laws of chance. The other option is put a spay and neuter clinic in front of the feeding places, if you want to eat then snip, snip. With global warming and the waters rising who knows what new disease may come out. Small pox wiped out a percentage of the indigenous population in continental US. Whatever happened to the Ebola virus? That was one of the most promising population control viruses to come along in a long time. I understand it didn't have a long enough incubation period, but hey these things mutate.
I believe the reason we see so much about Zombies is because somewhere there is a virus that will deliver the type of thing that makes one think his friends and family has become Zombified!! Maybe it will render them sterile and go away after a few days!! I belive there is a fish in the carribean that has a toxin that can "turn" one into a Zombie like state,maybe they found a way to harness this compound and atomize it so that you breath it in at, lets say a concert or some other public venue..It would be real easy to target certain individuals ,with all these folks coming out of the closet that would have otherwise vauled their privacy ie ,potheads,homosexuals,illegal aliens,white supreamacy folks and the like are all out there saying that they want their rights, becareful what you ask for!!( I dont think this is what "should happen", just saying that it "could happen" so before all you pot heads and queers start jumping my train, I am not trying to be ugly toward anyone,just saying..)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13   #234

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
so before all you pot heads and queers start jumping my train, I am not trying to be ugly toward anyone,just saying..)
Ha ha ha. Good one!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54   #235

Boat: Skookum 53'

You forgot to tell the skinheads not to take offense. Or did you? Mike you have made some good points here, however if you were to implement your plan on the privileged, you would soon find yourself assassinated, either literally or figuratively (Like being caught in bed with a live boy or dead girl.) and the masses would rise up in moral indignation and strike you down, you could only escape by throwing twinkies on the ground behind you as you fled.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
What ever happened to Jay? Last I knew he had given up the "seasteading" idea and moved ashore on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Doesn't look like he has posted much recently.

Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability Forums

Sensible Simplicity

Old 02-01-2014, 09:24   #237
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Immediate redistribution of wealth and resource-access from the global one-percenters (us) to the rest of the world.
  • Markets would be restricted to providing what people need to live at a level that the globe can sustain.
  • With the end of the need for profit,
  • Of course, none of the above is going to happen.

While we do appreciate your honest anser, the unfortunate thing Mike is that these "solutions" have already been tried and proven to fail.

It's also very telling about the "Save the Planet" folks mindset. Any "solution" that requires Governmental FORCE to make it happen is not only doomed to fail in search of Utpoia has been called many things in the past: Communism, Facists, Totalitarian, etc. Hitler had his final solution also and what surprises me is that educated people can't see that what they are calling for, again to solve the "problem" would make the Dicators and mass murders of people quite happy.

Me...I see no doomsday coming, all I see is oportunity. The panic pushers have been predicting the end of the world for as long as there was recorded history and yet here we are despite the panic pushers prognostication. Technological innovation and advancements tend to make the doomday predictions look pretty silly at the end of the day.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24   #238
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Save the Planet!

At 65... do I really give a ****...
NO....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:39   #239

Boat: Catalina 30

Why is the discussion focused on the back end?

At any given time in the world, 40% of the women
who are pregnant do not want to be. Why not
make birth control available to everyone, free
of charge?

That by itself would take care of population growth.

No draconian efforts necessary.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44   #240

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I believe the reason we see so much about Zombies is because somewhere there is a virus that will deliver the type of thing that makes one think his friends and family has become Zombified!! Maybe it will render them sterile and go away after a few days!! I belive there is a fish in the carribean that has a toxin that can "turn" one into a Zombie like state,maybe they found a way to harness this compound and atomize it so that you breath it in at, lets say a concert or some other public venue..It would be real easy to target certain individuals ,with all these folks coming out of the closet that would have otherwise vauled their privacy ie ,potheads,homosexuals,illegal aliens,white supreamacy folks and the like are all out there saying that they want their rights, becareful what you ask for!!( I dont think this is what "should happen", just saying that it "could happen" so before all you pot heads and queers start jumping my train, I am not trying to be ugly toward anyone,just saying..)
Zombies are the general population after alzhiemers,and radiation sickness sets in.
Closed Thread