Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 21:01   #406

Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That's the thing, though. It would be a market. Players in the market would themselves insist on credible measurement to keep the value safeguarded. People trade gold, stocks, bonds, futures etc without ever seeing a scrap of metal or even paper. Stocks, CDOs, bonds, all have value because the players say it does and they are satisfied that the value is real. The US dollar is good because the US government says it is. Same for carbon emissions. That's the theory, anyway, and if you think that market is unworkable, don't hold any stock, cos it's even more abstract.
Not buyin' it...I'm outa here ...I have to develop a strategy to secure my Maryland Victorian from Monday's -14 wind chill. Wood pellets $230 a ton. Carbon offset? Anybody's guess.
Old 04-01-2014, 21:46   #407

Boat: Vancouver 27

It's easy to cherry pick facts and numbers these days, but I know what seems abundantly clear to me. You can't change things by telling other people the way it is or how it ought to be. That's how folks in the Tea Party eventually get elected to office

Luckily:
-I don't have a ton of money anyway
-I don't like cheap plastic things
-I don't like having too much overhead
-and don't plan on working for my entire life to pay off said overhead

So even if I wasn't an environmental wacko, I wouldn't change much

The president of Bolivia recently said something I thought was remarkable for a politician to say: "Freedom is about having the time to live."

Save the planet?? My answer is to do less shopping and know where the things I buy come from. IMHO, there's no excuse for defeatism when the choices I make everyday have real-world consequences.
Old 04-01-2014, 23:27   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. your saying that if India (don't want to be anti American) buys carbon credit from a third world low polluting heavily forested country with a corrupt government who pockets all the cash.. invests nothing into the infrastructure.. its okay for India to keep polluting at its current rate..
WTF... the only difference from no Carbon Credits.. is the pollution would be the same.. just that the politicians would be poorer..
Smoke and Mirrors... with a large amount of ********..
I think that you have defined it perfectly. Consume all you want but give your money to someone else and all is well.

Another way to think of it is that a carbon credit is what you get when you combine both smoke and mirrors.
Old 04-01-2014, 23:38   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

You're kidding me. 200 years of oil is good news?
Why wouldn't an abundance of oil be a good thing? It is the cheapest energy source we have.

Can you imagine how much energy we would have if we utilized all of our natural gas resources? The horror.

I agree that we would have to figure out a way that all of this energy could be produced without anyone making a profit but I don't think algore would be too happy about that.

Now if you want to influence climate just regulate the sun doing what it does. There might be some unintended consequences there but the super smart elites could find a way to shift the blame onto someone else.
Old 05-01-2014, 00:48   #410

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This whole thread is a lake effect stink having nothing to do with sailing.

At least that's what they tell me when they slap me.

I can't believe it's gone on this long.

Where are the moderators?
We are snoozing on the job (translate that as enjoying post Christmas festivities ).

Yep, the last few dozen posts have nothing to do with sailing and far too many insults are being flung around.

Thread closed.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread