Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 22:25   #1

Possible fraud; how to proceed

I need to bounce this off the community without being too specific in case I'm wrong.

Browsing another well known but poorly vetted boat listings site, I have run across what seems to be a really good deal.

Unfortunately after making email contact with the seller (attempts to contact by the listed phone number were unsuccessful), I received terse responses (could be language barrier) that included pictures that did not match the single photo uses in the listing advert.

Additionally, the actual location of the vessel is unclear and the vendor ignored a direct question about its location (just looking for general info like which country, so I could start to book a ticket).

This really feels like a set up. I don't want to fly into a small foreign country with lax law enforcement ready to transact +100k. What sort of measures do people take in these situations?

Thanks inadvance....
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 22:49   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Possible fraud; how to proceed

If it quacks like a duck...

Drag some of the photos provided by the vendor into Google image search and see where that takes you.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 22:51   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelsidedown View Post
I need to bounce this off the community without being too specific in case I'm wrong.

Browsing another well known but poorly vetted boat listings site, I have run across what seems to be a really good deal.

Unfortunately after making email contact with the seller (attempts to contact by the listed phone number were unsuccessful), I received terse responses (could be language barrier) that included pictures that did not match the single photo uses in the listing advert. First warning something is wrong.

Additionally, the actual location of the vessel is unclear and the vendor ignored a direct question about its location (just looking for general info like which country, so I could start to book a ticket). I really wouldn't care why the supposed vendor ignored a direct question about the location of the boat. He or she may not know. But I think it's time to walk away. You know the old saying about good deals that are too good to be true. Turn loose of your boat greed, and look locally, within your price range.

This really feels like a set up. I don't want to fly into a small foreign country with lax law enforcement ready to transact +100k. What sort of measures do people take in these situations?

Thanks inadvance....
The measure I would take is already written above. When you look locally, you avoid language barrier problems, and problems arising from unfamiliarity with local laws, and may even avoid complicated title searches.

Ann
Old 28-11-2018, 23:02   #4

Boat: Leopard 39

Run when you see red flags like this.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 23:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If it quacks like a duck...

Drag some of the photos provided by the vendor into Google image search and see where that takes you.

Yeah, I already found the listing the one picture was cribbed from. The lazy jack bags/sail cover are a different color and one is rigged with one of those vestigial bow sprit while the other is not. Between all of the differences and reverse image lookups, the boat could be in three different parts of the planet. Same make/mode, but obviously different vessels.

I don't want to piss the seller off with outrageous acqusations, but I don't want to give enough information via extended questions that I allow myself to be lead down a primrose path.
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:18   #6

I would walk away. There are lots of boats out there being sold by people who actually want to sell them that you don't have to deal with someone who won't respond to direct questions. Never mind all the red flags that this is not on the up-and-up.

If this is some really special, really rare, boat that you feel like you just HAVE to have, then it's up to you to judge whether it is worth the risk. But listen to your gut. It's trying to tell you something.

Heck! Just the fact that you came here to ask the question tells me that there's enough doubt that you shouldn't be investing in a plane ticket until you have a LOT more information, and a LOT more confidence that this is legitimate.

Oh, and, by the way... One of the CLASSIC techniques of scam artists is to put you in a position where you feel like you will offend them if you ask too many questions, or want too many details.

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Take a pass... There are plenty of boats in the ocean.

Flying to a location to see a sketchy deal is a waste of your time and money.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:38   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If it was a true bargain

on a rare model I really lusted for,

and I thought the odds of a scam below say, 50/50

I might go to the trouble of identifying and hiring a local to proxy for me and investigate.

Sometimes Hanlon's Razor extends to the craziest scenarios.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:07   #9

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Agreed. Walk away. You're already asking questions and, really, you shouldn't be at this stage of your search. That which smells fishy and quacks, is probably a fish-duck.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:57   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

anyone wanting to sell a boat wouldn't be evasive.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 07:40   #11

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

Walk away, but let the website know of your doubts. It's up to them to take action. I've had a similar experience with a car. Checking the VIN showed it recently sold in another state the ad had been poached and copied. The website listing it responded to my complaint and deleted the ad.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Possible fraud; how to proceed

Most likely the owner does not want to sell.. but as long as its up there it keeps his wife off his back..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:22   #13

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

If you go.... take a couple of Hells Angels as bodyguards.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:22   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelsidedown View Post

Unfortunately after making email contact with the seller (attempts to contact by the listed phone number were unsuccessful), I received terse responses (could be language barrier) that included pictures that did not match the single photo uses in the listing advert.

Additionally, the actual location of the vessel is unclear and the vendor ignored a direct question about its location (just looking for general info like which country, so I could start to book a ticket).

Thanks inadvance....
Why do you still consider it?
Forget and continue to another vessel.
Old 29-11-2018, 08:55   #15

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Not to long ago, there was a guy acussed here in florida of hijacking other peoples ads and reposting them as his own. I believe the scam was about trying to get down payments out of people. The trend seemed to be, an incredible deal, fairly evasive about details and being inconvenienced. I have contacted several sellers who have acted the same way and I decided to walk away. The other possibilty is stolen boats or ones up for repo. I would stay clear if the seller would not share HIN, with a picture other info that you can do a search with ahead of time. Good luck.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote