Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 12:52   #1
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37
Head Liner

Before I am told to do a search that this has been covered....... I have but have a slightly different issue.

I had my interior ceiling torn down this last winter (flordia winter) so I thought I would take the opportunity to replace the head liner. I used 3m- super spray. Reintalled and it looked great!

As the weather started warming up it started falling. Now I need to redo it. I am not happy. It is a major pain in the ass to take off the trim and remove then re install. It is now an eye sore.

3-m is the recomended adhesive but clearly did not work. The surfaces were preped correctly and all instructions followed.

I only want to do this one more time. (Its not like I dont have a list of other boat projects!)

What should I use!!!!!!!

Would a roll on be better? Can I use a two part epoxy?
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 13:18   #2

Re: Head Liner

I have had the 3m fail as well I use either contact glue but the fumes will kill you or outdoor carpet glue One must be careful as it is thick and can bleed tru the fabric depending what you are using Never had either fail
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 18:34   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

What kind of headliner do you have?
I have used 3M water based "liquid" contact cement on vinyl headliner. No problem with fumes. Solvent based cc, as well as the noxious fumes, can also dissolve vinyl headliner to some extent.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 18:44   #4
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37

Thank you for the replys.

It is a vinyl.

I used the spray maybe a liquid would give better better coverage???

I just really only want to do this once more.
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 02:48   #5

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Question for you is there a foam barrier between the vinyl and coachroof. Essential for a dry condensation free boat ask anyone with an Amel. We used a standard floor tile adhesive glue, its similar to the glue used to repair your rubber tender, because after trial and error,we found it was the only thing that kept the vinyl up. Regards. Joe McDonnell
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 04:18   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:

Anchor-Weld 2800FF Spray Grade Fabric & Foam Contact Adhesive
A premium quality, spray grade Polychloroprene contact adhesive, featuring a soft glueline with rapid drying properties to minimise dimpling, coupled with excellent green strength and high heat resistance, making it ideally suited for the furniture, upholstery and foam industries.
Bostik - Solvent Based Adhesives
Old 17-06-2011, 09:13   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

For what its worth, I use 3M 77 spray adhesive to make wet n dry sanding sticks for my modeling projects. If I spray the sand paper and wait til its tacky, then lay down the popsicle sticks I find they will separate after many uses. These are dipped in water as they are used to get debris out of the paper.. However if I have a gloss varnish finish on the sticks first, then apply the 77 it sticks like snot on a hanky.

So from this it appears that a porous surface will release sooner in the presence of water, while a non porous surface sticks well even if water gets to it.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head