Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2023, 05:48   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: YachtDevices Router and Hotspot wifi at same time

Yes well, it isn’t easy to setup but that has nothing to do with the equipment being faulty.

You need to get the IP setup correctly.

I think you have a Yacht Devices wifi gateway that you are trying to connect to the wifi router as a client? And you gave the YD gateway a static IP of 192.168.1.100?

Then your router must be setup for that same IP, for example as 192.168.1.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0

Also, it’s DHCP server should not interfere with that static IP, i.e. you could set it to serve out addresses in the range of .10 to .99

Then your computer must connect to the wifi router and you should receive one of those .10 - .99 addresses and only then, if the YD gateway did connect as well, could you ping it.

Also, some routers have a setting that blocks traffic between clients. You need to make sure that this is allowed.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 07:47   #17

Alternatively, instead of assigning a static IP address to the YDNR-02, WiFi Client leave it in its default configuration to use a dynamiically assigned IP address (DHCP)

Then in your GL.iNet slate router, add a static assignment (sometimes referred to as a reserved address) using the MAC address of the YDNR-02 WiFi Client.

You can also add a DNS entry into the GL.iNet slate router that corresponds to the YDNR-02's IP address. That means you can simply connect to the YDNR-02 from your client devices (PC's running OpenCPN, Web Browsers, Navionics on a tablet) using an easy to remember name.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 08:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Alternatively, instead of assigning a static IP address to the YDNR-02, WiFi Client leave it in its default configuration to use a dynamiically assigned IP address (DHCP)

Then in your GL.iNet slate router, add a static assignment (sometimes referred to as a reserved address) using the MAC address of the YDNR-02 WiFi Client.

You can also add a DNS entry into the GL.iNet slate router that corresponds to the YDNR-02's IP address. That means you can simply connect to the YDNR-02 from your client devices (PC's running OpenCPN, Web Browsers, Navionics on a tablet) using an easy to remember name.
Yes, that’s how I do it as well. It keeps a centralized administration of IP address assignments and allows easy renumbering.

But it seems Mark is following instructions that used static addressing and if not intimately familiar with IP and it’s protocols, static addressing may be easier.

Old 27-07-2023, 10:19   #19

Perhaps every boat should have a copy of Comer's TCP/IP bible next to their copy of Calder's 12 V bible!
Old 27-07-2023, 11:08   #20

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
GL-A1300 (Slate Plus)

I am continuing to experiment with it because I think I'm close, following markcouz's instructions. I get to the final step

But I can't connect to the YD web server. Just to make sure, I'm doing this by trying to get to 192.168.1.100, which is the new Static IP address of the YD router? Here is how I configured it:

and the Slate Plus
Your static address needs to be a sub-address of the gateway.

If gateway is
then static address should be
192.168.8.100 (not ...1.100)
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 11:27   #21

I'll buy the book, this is the first time I've worked with a network, definitely not my strong point. And I'll give these new suggestions a try. Probably will have more questions.

The Slate is still returning to factory settings every time I power it off, and I now can't change anything (Wifi network name/passwords for example) without it freezing. I think something went wrong during the "update" as it never really verified it was successfully completed, more like froze up and I had to re-boot. This is the second one this has happened to. I returned the first, and the customer service says it was caused by "unstable internet connection during upgrade". My internet seems fast enough for everything else I do, so I have to think it's caused by delicate programming.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 14:00   #22

Quote:
I'll buy the book, this is the first time I've worked with a network, definitely not my strong point.
I was joking about the book. My copy would be over thirty years old, dog-eared , no idea where it lies and vastly out of date as it was written before Mobile Internet, Personal Hotspots, WiFi, home network routers, DHCP, VPN, IPSEC & IP v6 were even invented.

All you really need to know is the concept of a "private" network. Your GL..iNet slate router, iPhone Personal Hotspot, Yacht Devices YDNR-03 WiFi Gateway and your home WiFi router all use/issue private IP subnet addresses 192.168.n.

For example a subnet 192.168.1.

In general for 192.168.n subnets, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

Each 192.168.n subnet supports 255 host addresses, eg. 192.168.1.32 is a valid IP address in the 192.168.1 subnet.

Note the IP address 192.16.1.255 is the broadcast address, anything sent to this address will be sent to all devices on the 192.168.1 subnet.

The Personal Hotspot,WiFi Router usually assigns itself the address 192.168.n.1. This is known as the default gateway address and any request to an IP address outside the subnet's range will be directed to the gateway and if a route exists, further transmitted.

So continuing on with this example your GL..iNet router may assign itself the address 192.168.1.1.

That's why you can access the WiFi router's admin page by using a web browser connecting to https://192.168.1.1

The client uses the subnet mask to determine if an IP address is on its own subnet or on an external network

So for a subnet of 192.168.1 it means that a request to a device with an IP address of 192.168.1.53 will be found in the local subnet and will not be routed externally. A request to another address such as 104.26.0.68 (cruisersforum.com) will be forwarded to the default gateway address and forwarded externally should a route exist.

To ease the burden of configuring static IP addresses, subnet mask and default gateway addresses for each client device, WiFi routers, Personal Hotspots dynamically assign IP addresses and configure the subnet mask and default gateway address to clients using a protocol known as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).

Just like postal addresses you don't want to have two devices with the same IP address, so dynamic addresses help eliminate this risk.

So in this example your GL..iNet router will assign addresses in the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 unless you have explicitly excluded some addresses or limited the range of dynamic addresses and assigned a static IP address to a client device. It will also configure 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway address.

If you were to assign a device a static IP address it needs to be in the same subnet, eg 192.168.1.101 and have the correct subnet mask and default gateway address.

Long and windy but hopefully helpful.
Old 27-07-2023, 14:31   #23

I did have (barely) enough judgement to question the technology book from 1991, so I did not press order
Additional explanation is very helpful, thank you.
Old 27-07-2023, 14:40   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what it comes down to is that you need to place everything in either the 192.168.1.x network or the 192.168.8.x network.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:51   #25

This is now working perfectly- either Starlink or iphone hotspot as the internet source, and the YachtDevices router to gather NMEA0183 and NMEA2K data for OpenCPN, always connected without my intervention.

This is a big time saver not to have to switch networks back and forth anymore, which I was doing several times a day.

THANK YOU ALL!!
Old 05-08-2023, 06:45   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
This is now working perfectly- either Starlink or iphone hotspot as the internet source, and the YachtDevices router to gather NMEA0183 and NMEA2K data for OpenCPN, always connected without my intervention.

This is a big time saver not to have to switch networks back and forth anymore, which I was doing several times a day.

THANK YOU ALL!!
Good news

Tags
route, wifi, yacht