Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 13:35   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Wristwatches suitable for sailing, celestial navigation, anc scuba diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The "atomic" watches, that really just reset when they get the WWV time signal, were a marvelous invention. Sadly there are many areas where the WWV signal just doesn't get through, and there's active discussion over shutting down some or all of the WWV broadcasts now since "GPS makes it obsolete".

Unless there's a clear and firm future for whichever WWV service the watches use, I'd just consider them to be worth the same as a plain Casio, i.e. maybe 30 seconds a month. (Some of the better digital watches can be adjusted for rate, but the vast majority are simply not adjustable.)

As far as I know, they all use WWVB or JJY. Coverage is not worldwide for either service.

ETA: There is also a similar service in Europe that some watches use, DCF77.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 13:36   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

The error rate of a digital wristwatch will be very consistent if it stays on your wrist, aka a constant temperature. Once you determine the error rate you can apply it as part of taking a fix.
Old 18-09-2018, 13:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Shearwaters are highly regarded, and there is apparently an air integrated wrist watch version now. All I know about it is it exists, I don't like air integrated myself , but that was because I usually Dove with four, separate, independent air sources.
I have a Predator, bought my Son a Petrel, and they would at best look ridiculous on your wrist as a watch.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/shea...research-teric
Isee the need for an accurate time keeping device, but not the need for a watch.
BTW the quartz time keepers will vary time keeping based on temperature, Im not sure if they slow down or speed up in hot weather, just know it's temp based.
I wouldn't be surprised if an extensive one compensates for temp, but wouldn't expect a budget one to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:38   #19

Ripcurl search GPS global tidal watch; excellent for tidal information.
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:55   #20

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Casio G-Shock. Daily "atomic" updates.

-Chris
X2 I have used these for years, diving and on the boat. cheap enough it doesn't matter if you loose it or damage it.

I have taken them to 150 ft no problem. I have a drawer full of expensive dive watches that just quit working.
Old 19-09-2018, 09:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Here's a watch for around $400 that is water resistant to 300m and purportedly has a 10 second per year accuracy. The watch forums indicate that while many of them are that accurate, some are not; the manufacturer is honoring the warranty for people who send back ones that do not meet expectations.

https://www.jomashop.com/certina-wat...11-051-00.html

There are other examples.
Yes, that one is thermo-compensated quartz. Another one (my favorite) is the Sinn UX. Getting a bit speedy at 2K, though.

These days I wear a Casio divers quartz, my main criteria being expendability, and not looking too awful. My last watch was destroyed when I hit it hard on a winch when my hand slipped. The Casio stays on the boat so if I forget and wear a nice watch to the boat, I swap them out.

The price is right! $45 for decent quartz watch with 200m water resist.

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-.../dp/B009KYJAJY
Old 19-09-2018, 09:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why???

I've haven't worn a watch in over 25+ years. I work for a living and have commitments, and yet I seem to live fine without one.

I have a clock on the boat but I can usually guess time within around 20 minutes. A skill honed from, more than likely, not wearing a watch.

Like before there was GPS in cars, people paid more attention to landmarks and driving.
Before GPS, people needed an accurate timepiece to navigate. Some redundancy isn’t a bad idea, ie, a clock and a watch.
Old 19-09-2018, 09:15   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have a Suunto Ambit 2, and had a Sunnto Vector I gave to my son. The Ambit is kept charged by a USB clasp, and I have a pilothouse and an inverter, so it's no biggie. I use the barometer, GPS and compass functions quite a bit (I also cycle), but the heartrate and some other functions, not at all. I would consider something similar, like the G-Force. My only complaint about the Suunto "wrist-top computers", as they are somewhat pretentiously called, is that the straps aren't as durable as I would prefer. But I've found cheap kits to replace them and they usually "fail slowly". They also have a line of dive-specific watches. Once at sea, I may switch to one of those. https://www.suunto.com/en-ca/Dive-Collections/
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:22   #24

Anyone considered one of these high precision clocks? 0.06s per year :

12'' DuraTime HP Analog Clock

Only trouble is, 110V. Some of their digital ones have a wall-wart supply, so maybe could run off 12V.

They do not rely on a radio signal. Accuracy is intrinsic due to a temp controlled oscillator.
Old 19-09-2018, 09:30   #25

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I used to love watches. One my Victornix quarts quit around when I got a smart phone I stopped wearing them. About 4 months ago I got a G-shock casio digital as a gift. I really love the thing quick access to timer in something waterproof and always on is awesome. I forgot to wear it one day and really missed it. Now looking to add a few more that are less industrial looking.
Old 19-09-2018, 09:32   #26

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Vintage Omega Seamaster
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:24   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Casio ProTrek solar watch. Has barometer, tide, compass, temperature, altimeter and gets time update from satellite. Does need to be exposed to sun/light to keep charged but will work off battery for a month or more if locked away in a lightless drawer. Can place it near a window periodically to charge back up. Lack of sun exposure has only been an issue when I'm up north in the winter and sleeves cover the watch. Try to avoid that problem like the plague and stay from those inhospitable climes as much as possible.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:29   #28

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Anyone considered one of these high precision clocks? 0.06s per year :

12'' DuraTime HP Analog Clock

Only trouble is, 110V. Some of their digital ones have a wall-wart supply, so maybe could run off 12V.

They do not rely on a radio signal. Accuracy is intrinsic due to a temp controlled oscillator.

I just came across their web site before reading your post. I started another thread -- and have sent them an email asking about 12v operation.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:30   #29

Hi,

A few years ago, I looked at watches for those same three things.

I've had/loved the ironmans since 1992 but they seemed to fail diving below 50. Not always but sometimes. Plus the straps seem to fail me within five years. Plus I wanted a barometer for weather at sea.

I got the following because it has solar charging, has a pretty accurate barometer, is tough as nails, is accurate, and not so big I can't wear it daily. I've had it to 80 feet down but I don't dive deep much anymore so that aspect is not critical for me. I read on some forum that one should not press the buttons if deeper than x feet to keep the watch seal intact.

Casio Men's PRG-300-1A2CR Pro Trek Triple-Sensor Tough Solar Black Digital Watch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q44398/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not Timex affordable but if you wait for a sale, they cost around 150.

One last thing. Keep in mind, the atomic resetting clocks may not be a good idea for celestial. With Celestial, knowing accurate time is critical. Four seconds off translates to one mile off. I looked at these atomic reset watches but then began to wonder how I was going to calculate the watch's drift (watches drift, but it is not a big deal as long as you have observed the drift and compensate in your calculations) if the watch resets on land every day. If you sail beyond the reset zones, your watch will begin to drift and you will not know the rate.

Edit: Thanks to Amazon for keeping good records. They are more affordable than I remember. They are usually 150.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	casio.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	177650  
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:03   #30

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Rolex Yacht-Master. Just beware, it makes you a prime target to the crooks in ports around the world!

But, it doesn't have to be a Rolex to make you a target - I had a $20 Casio stolen off my arm in Venezuela. I was sitting on a bus, well groomed guy in nice, not-inexpensive looking clothes standing in the aisle next to me. Bus stopped, he slapped my wrist, popped the clasp on the band and jumped off the bus. I was originally pissed off, but then started to admire how easily/quickly he got my watch, and how dumb he was to steal a $20 watch!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, Cuba, diving, navigation, sail, sailing, scuba