Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2021, 02:19   #1

Boat: ARENDS MONO 34 Ft.
Thumbs up Windspeed and direction instruments refit

Hi fellow sailors I lost my top of mast odometer feed to the cockpit readout metre but i have made a trial connection from a spare odometer arrow which i have fitted above the biminy and wired to the reader and i have windspeed and direction readouts I realise that both indications will require some kind of correction factor but as my 33 foot sailboat is over 30 years old it usually cruises at around 5 knots so my problem is not too great.

Has anybody had a similar experience and can offer any advice.
The instruments are Stowe and are as old as the boat.Many thanks for any suggestions.
RJMRJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 08:01   #2

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Windspeed and direction instruments refit

Stowe's junction box multiplexes data from its NMEA0183 input with data from its internal converters (wind, depth, and temperature) and its combined output is present on the Dataline bus.
The Stowe Dataline bus is NMEA0183 compliant. Just add a return wire for keypad functions and general lighting control.

But I'm sorry to tell you that Stowe uses a deprecated wind sentence (VWR), that is, the system will not understand another manufacturer's wind data (MWV) directly. Some gateways still perform that conversion.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 08:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Although you would not have the numerical data display, there is a great gain in the simplicity of a wisp of yarn tied to each of the upper shrouds and one part way up a masthead antenna. There is the argument regarding the line of sight day or night display, but there is also a reward in your direct interpretation of nature's display.

I know this would never satisfy the needs of those who are racing; however, there is a satisfaction in honing your direct senses to apply to the helm.
Old 30-09-2021, 01:02   #4

Boat: ARENDS MONO 34 Ft.

Tehani and Hudson Force many thanks for your comments.I do in fact use a red wool yarn off the rigging have done so for years and have no problem with this but its the CREW who would like things to be visibly easier I found a Stowe same model odommeter in England and thats what I am using but because I cannot replace the internal mast wiring I am trying to get by with this low down external system which does work if not 100%accurate
RJMRJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 09:32   #5

Boat: Tartan 37C

following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instruments, men, refit, rum, wind