Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2023, 10:54   #61

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Why even bother with a plotter when you can get this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Using satellite images is a great tool, but there can be significant differences in resolution and general image quality from image to image on those made available through "free" services like Google. The image may, or may not, be showing the whole picture.

Nautical charts suffer from the same uncertainty, but at least they are intended to be used for marine navigation. Publicly available satellite images are not.

It's certainly a useful tool, and one that can be integrated with other navigation tools, but I don't see it as a primary source.
There are areas where official charts not only have uncertainty but are downright dangerous. You are better off skipping the chart and sending someone up to the spreaders as a lookout.

In those areas, the satellite maps are better as your primary. Also, when making MBtiles, you can compare images from several sources, and choose the one with the best detail and contrast. So, while it can be an issue, it's usually not.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:02   #62

Boat: Tartan 3800

I like my chartplotter because it is visible in daylight, is waterproof, can be used in the rain, and displays radar data.

In practice I also use my phone with either satellite data or the Navionics crowdsourced depth contours, especially in tricky areas where the official charts are poor -- but I only use it as a supplemental source of information.

I would not want to rely on satellite data alone. It does not show clearance below bridges, the amount of water above reefs and wrecks, the presence of restricted areas, bottom composition, shipping lanes, the location of ranges, the color, sector, and flash rate of lights, etc.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:11   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
There are areas where official charts not only have uncertainty but are downright dangerous. You are better off skipping the chart and sending someone up to the spreaders as a lookout.

In those areas, the satellite maps are better as your primary. Also, when making MBtiles, you can compare images from several sources, and choose the one with the best detail and contrast. So, while it can be an issue, it's usually not.
I disagree. In areas where charts are sketchy, it likely means it is a low-population, low commercial area. This is EXACTLY where satellite images will also be their most dubious. The point is, there is no reason to believe satellite images are any more accurate, or show the full picture. They may, but they may not -- just like charts. All you can really know is they aren't intended for marine navigation.

I do agree with the use of Mark I Eyeballs as the best answer. Up the spreaders, or maybe even a drone if you want to get fancy. That, at your depthsounder, and/or good old leadline, is the best choice in areas of poor charting/imaging.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:31   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Curious, what software did you use on the ipad for autopilot?
I still use it: iSailor, but ever since Transas sold it, it’s been downhill with it (the app is still good but pricing went crazy)

Autopilot control is an in-app purchase. It even works with an Apple Watch… can control the autopilot from your watch

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 15:42   #65

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
I disagree. In areas where charts are sketchy, it likely means it is a low-population, low commercial area. This is EXACTLY where satellite images will also be their most dubious
Mike, can you give more details on your comment? It doesn’t make sense to me.

I use satellite images in places with zero population/zero commercial activity -- west coast of Haida Gwaii, BC -- and the images are as clear as populated areas.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 15:58   #66

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So these chart plotters cost thousands!

The other day I got a smartphone and it turns out it has Google Maps which does navigation just fine! For free!
It's pointless asking this question on here as there are some who are still using the stars to navigate and will give you nothing but grief because you want to use the latest navigation systems on phones and Ipads.

Personally i don't mind chartplotters but they are still very expensive and really don't offer many advantages to ipads etc unless you have other systems integrated into them. Many chart plotter systems have lots of hidden stuff most of us will never use.

Oh and according to most of those posting on these forums -chart plotters never fail but tablets and computers always fail.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 16:05   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
It's pointless asking this question on here as there are some who are still using the stars to navigate and will give you nothing but grief because you want to use the latest navigation systems on phones and Ipads.
That's funny. My experience here has been the exact inverse.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 16:09   #68

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
I disagree. In areas where charts are sketchy, it likely means it is a low-population, low commercial area. This is EXACTLY where satellite images will also be their most dubious. The point is, there is no reason to believe satellite images are any more accurate, or show the full picture. They may, but they may not -- just like charts. All you can really know is they aren't intended for marine navigation.

I do agree with the use of Mark I Eyeballs as the best answer. Up the spreaders, or maybe even a drone if you want to get fancy. That, at your depthsounder, and/or good old leadline, is the best choice in areas of poor charting/imaging.
In Fiji, charts are dangerous, and Satellite images are dead on perfect. Much of the popular south pacific islands are that way. When I was in Fiji in 2018 and 2019, almost all cruisers used satellite imagery. I switched to satellites after the 3rd time I found an uncharted reef. I would now be comfortable navigating Fiji with satellite maps at night. It really is incredible how perfect they are.
Old 07-01-2023, 16:11   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Mike, can you give more details on your comment? It doesn’t make sense to me.

I use satellite images in places with zero population/zero commercial activity -- west coast of Haida Gwaii, BC -- and the images are as clear as populated areas.
I'd guess that the west coast, especially Haida Gwaii, gets special coverage.

It's not hard to find what I'm talking about. Here is one good example which actually illustrates the issue. This is an area I know well: The Slate Islands of Lake Superior. Here is the screen capture of the Google satellite offering. You can plainly see the west portion is lower rez than the eastern side. Not sure why the difference, but if you didn't have it overlap like this, you might not even know.

The other issue for many Canadian waters is that 1/2 the images will be taken in the winter, with ice and snow cover. Again, not much use for navigation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 16.06.48 .jpg
Views:	101
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	269673  
Old 07-01-2023, 16:23   #70

Quote:
In Fiji, charts are dangerous, and Satellite images are dead on perfect. Much of the popular south pacific islands are that way. When I was in Fiji in 2018 and 2019, almost all cruisers used satellite imagery. I switched to satellites after the 3rd time I found an uncharted reef. I would now be comfortable navigating Fiji with satellite maps at night. It really is incredible how perfect they are.
And that's great to know . Clearly some areas are better served by charts and some by satellite imaging. I'm not saying never use the images, or charts. What I'm saying is, there's no universal truth here. And satellite imaging can be just as fraught and faulty as charts.

I tend to use both in my waters. Charts are general guides, at best, in some areas I travel. Satellite imaging helps, but it's mostly the lower rez versions that I showed in the previous post.

The other variable with satellite imagery is the variability of depth visibility. It will depend on the angle of the sun vs the satellite, and the turbidity of the water, amongst likely other factors.

Again, it's a useful tool, and in some areas it sounds like it's better than charts. But just like charts, I take them with a deep grain of sand.
Old 07-01-2023, 16:23   #71

Quote:
I'd guess that the west coast, especially Haida Gwaii, gets special coverage.

It's not hard to find what I'm talking about. Here is one good example which actually illustrates the issue. This is an area I know well: The Slate Islands of Lake Superior. Here is the screen capture of the Google satellite offering. You can plainly see the west portion is lower rez than the eastern side. Not sure why the difference, but if you didn't have it overlap like this, you might not even know.

The other issue for many Canadian waters is that 1/2 the images will be taken in the winter, with ice and snow cover. Again, not much use for navigation.
Nothing to do with Haida Gwaii.

Your problem is relying on Google Earth!

ArcGIS(ESRI) and BING typically provide much better images than GE.
SASPLANET gives all these to compare and use best.

Yes, sometimes in Winter, so even more important to compare different images and pick best.

Here is a quick view of Slate I from ArcGIS app on my Android, so not the best compared to SASPLANET.

Name:	SmartSelect_20230107_161913_ArcGIS%20Earth.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	269674
Old 07-01-2023, 17:12   #72

for Mike re Slate Islands Provincial Park

Interesting and nice looking place (in the summer...).

I've looked at SAT images (Google the worst), CHS ENC chart, Navionics chart, AND CHS "NONN10" soundings (which provide greater soundings detail, and can be placed on a satellite chart using SAT2CHART).

See attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SlateIslands-ArcGIS-SAT.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	269675   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlateIslands-CHS-ENC.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	269676  

Name:	SlateIslands-Navionics.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	269677   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlateIslands-CHS-NONNA10soundings.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	269678  

Old 07-01-2023, 18:42   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
When out of cell range will it still track properly without having downloaded the map area?
You want the map downloaded of course but then no problem tracking.

Of course, google maps wouldn't be my first choice when you can download free chartplotting apps.

That said, years ago, we had the chartplotter crab out and we did switch to google maps to get into port.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 18:46   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
Beware!
Google Maps and that little blue dot can be off as much as a 1/4 mile depending on your connection to the cellular network and refresh rate.
Very dangerous in shallow waters in and around reefs.
GPS driven chart plotters are accurate to +/- 3 feet. much safer
Only time I've been off by a significant amount is coming out of a subway station in an urban area surrounded by tall buildings. Then it often takes a few minutes before the location is accurate.

I think you may be thinking of 20-30yrs ago when many phones didn't include an actual GPS chip and some tried to triangulate based on cell towers.
Old 07-01-2023, 18:47   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
As someone once mentioned before, cell phones, iPads, and computers are as waterproof as tissue paper. If you are out in foul weather and reduced visibility, do you really want to be holding a cell phone in your hand to give you navigation assistance?
It's nice having a helm position protected from the weather. These issues are non-existent.

Or you can get a waterproof cover. They are available for most common phones.