Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 12:11   #271

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender
Re: Why even bother with a plotter when you can get this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
I’ve seen plenty of forum posts along the lines of “my chartplotter crashes when I [insert x, or just randomly].” I can’t remember mine crashing more than once or twice in 9 seasons, but I can’t remember my iPhone crashing any more than that in the same timeframe either. Navionics itself might crash, but not the whole OS. And Navionics restarts in 7 seconds, without me going below to cycle a breaker or doing any other digging around to check wiring and connections.
Exactly that. Our B&G Triton2 instruments freeze and need a reboot (of the N2K bus) at least once a month. I don't remember having to do that to the mobile devices we use for navigation.

I occasionally try various chartplotters at a boat show. They all seem a lot slower and jankier than what I've seen with the mobile apps. Except maybe latest Orca CoPilot on Android... That for some reason drops frames like crazy.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 12:44   #272
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If your phone crashes you may want to buy a good one. For example, if it’s made by a manufacturer who’s name doesn’t start with an A then you may need to fix that

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 00:25   #273

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
IPhone 12 and 13 are rated waterproof to a depth of 6 meters for 30 minutes. I am sure my plotter win’t survive that so the phone is waaay better.

Also, just discovered another free app for showing heel. I can remove another instrument!
saltwater?
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 00:38   #274

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
saltwater?
Yes, we only sail offshore

Old 28-01-2023, 06:12   #275

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Yes, we only sail offshore
bcs all SAMSUNGS I ever owned, including outdoor models, the few other other ones too, are warranted for sweet water only. Maybe apples are better in taking a bath in salt water.

Maybe the reason is the much higher conductivity of salt water causing troubles in the plugs and corrosion at speakers

Regarding navigation I never had a problem with smartphones, using OSM (not so good), Navionics, CMAP and openCPN though I have a B&G system with the same maps that do not show same information on different systems to my surprise. Largest difference by Navionics.

And there is a PC with openCPN with satellite picture & Radar overlay and mirror of B&G.

B&G mirrors on the cellphone too, but 4 years ago this was not the best experience. Since then I was not able to sail, maybe it is better today.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 08:51   #276

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
If your phone crashes you may want to buy a good one. For example, if it’s made by a manufacturer who’s name doesn’t start with an A then you may need to fix that
I didn't say the phone crashed, I said the app took forever to load just when I needed it to load quickly..

It is a samsung that is 1 year old.

To each his own. If was just daysailing on the bay that I have been for sailing on for a long time that I know well, I am sure a phone/tablet would be just fine for me. Don't really need to look at it often.

If I am cruising to new places, I like having a large dedicated chartplotter that is weatherproof etc. in front of me. (BTW, my last B&G Triton needed about 2 reboots a year over the last 7 years, and that was usually upon startup when it didn't find the AP). But this is just what I like.

YMMV.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 09:03   #277

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
The current generation chartplotters mostly run on Android, just like the phones and tablets we navigate with. Not a real-time OS, that.

Example: https://panbo.com/simrad-nsx-an-impr...tion-platform/
I am not sure that is completely correct statement, "current generation chartplotters run Android". What I have read is that they run their own OS based on Android. My interpretation of that is they modify Android for the own use. Navico OS, previous generation was built on a Linux kernel. So they might have taken out a bunch of fluff and hardened up things to behave more like a real time OS. Maybe not, I have not seen details. If they did do things to make it more RTOS like, then it becomes much more robust than your phone.

Many of today's real time OS are built upon a Unix/Linux kernel, some are a rewrite of Unix. Android is based on Linux kernel as well.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 13:54   #278

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Interesting article today in the online version of The NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/b...ating-app.html

(Sorry, it is behind a paywall, tho you can sign up for a free account tho)

In any case it is about a free nav app called Argo that exploded in the Apple store after the inventor/programmer's daughter made a TikTok app endorsing it. I have zero interest in TikTok and won't download that app, so haven't see the little video.

Article says that downloads of Argo have zoomed to #3 for downloads on the App Store by mid January. So, we may be seeing and hearing a lot about Argo in these debates.

(Forgive me if this has already hit this thread - TBH, I couldn't read through 19 pages to see if it has already been discussed.)
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 14:42   #279

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am not sure that is completely correct statement, "current generation chartplotters run Android". What I have read is that they run their own OS based on Android. My interpretation of that is they modify Android for the own use. Navico OS, previous generation was built on a Linux kernel. So they might have taken out a bunch of fluff and hardened up things to behave more like a real time OS. Maybe not, I have not seen details. If they did do things to make it more RTOS like, then it becomes much more robust than your phone.

Many of today's real time OS are built upon a Unix/Linux kernel, some are a rewrite of Unix. Android is based on Linux kernel as well.
I would not say "mostly" but Raymarine Axiom is Android, and that accounts for a large percentage. Of course it is modified, but so does every Android cell phone manufacturer. The Axiom has been rooted, and Android apps sideloaded onto it
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 00:17   #280

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The plotters run recompiled Linux, Android etc. kernels just to fit it to the hardware. It’s all about the hardware and my iPad has a much better display than my B&G Vulcan or any of the plotters I had before that.

If you like to sit behind a steering wheel with a large Raymarine plotter then that’s cool

I only have a single Triton display at the helm because I let my autopilot steer. Cheaper too.