Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2024, 13:46   #1

Vesper AIS XB8000, cannor see it in marine traffic

Good evenning to evrybody

I have the AIS XB8000, and the doubt I have is that it works correctly. I connect it to the tz Boat and Navionics apps, and I can see all the vessels with AIS around me. However, the issue is that when I open the Marine Traffic, VesselFinder, and other applications, I cannot see my own vessel.

I do check it when the boat is in the harbor, and the WatchMate says that the signal is good. Everything shows a green light for all correct on the AIS, and the antenna splitter as well.

Any help or ideas?

Have a great weekend
Roque2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 14:43   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Vesper AIS XB8000, cannor see it in marine traffic

Sites like VesselFinder rely on a network of shore stations. Some places have good coverage, others don't.

You can always hail one of those other boats you see on the WatchMate app and ask if they have a good signal from you. You might want to pick a recreational boat, the commercial folks can be very friendly... or not.

Oh, and make sure your Navionics isn't getting data from the internet, instead of from your XB8000. Turn off mobile data and connect only to the XB8000's WiFi connection.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 17:41   #3

can you see other boats in your marina or location on the online apps?

Marine traffic and other apps take info from volunteer run shore stations. they only pick up boats if someone is in that area running a station.

if there are lots of other boats nearby then maybe be worried. but if there is no other boats around then your's probably won't be either.

the best thing is to get on a friends boat and look at their screen. and idealy from a few miles away, not just next door, to see how far yours is going.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 18:25   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Find a buddy that also has AIS. Sail away from them and keep in contact with VHF. Make a note when your friend can't see your ais anymore.
The Internet sites are hit and miss. Maybe your AIS is fine, maybe not, but you need to check with other boats, not the Internet.
One thing to check it the vesper application. It will tell you if its transmitting and the vswr.
Old 28-01-2024, 01:01   #5

Many thanks to everyone.

I will check with a collegue next week when we are sailing, i really apreciate all responses.

I was scared about if was faulty.

Wish all of you a fantastic Sunday
Old 24-03-2024, 01:35   #6

Hello everyone, I trust you're enjoying a wonderful weekend.

I've recently acquired my new MMSI number, and I'm pleased to report that my AIS is now functioning flawlessly. However,

I've encountered a new challenge: reprogramming the MMSI for my new number.

From what I gather, Vesper has been acquired by Garmin, and it seems that there's not much information available on the Garmin website regarding this matter.

Could anyone possibly direct me to a dealer in Spain, or recommend any software that would allow me to undertake the reprogramming myself?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 24-03-2024, 03:39   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Just a follow up to this for anyone reading. I’ve noticed that Marine Traffic can be extremely slow to report a new boat AIS if they already have a boat in their records with the same name.

Although they can handle duplicate names on their system it seems there is some kind of delay and it can take DAYS for the new boat to appear. I’m guessing at a a manual database routine of some sort, given the delay, but that’s just a guess.

So far I’ve found that new non-duplicate names appear within minutes.

Tags
ais, marine