Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 07:17   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Touch Screen Experiences

Just before a recnet run from NYC to Bermuda, I installed brand new Raymarine Axiom 9s on a friend's boat. 1 at rhe helm, one at nav station...pretty slick. However, we got into some heavish weather offshore and took heavy spray in the cockpit a few times. Saltwater spray on the Axiom caused it to behave erratically...to the point we had to enable "touch lock" making the touch screen inactive. We could only manage to do this after drying the screen well, otherwise the touch screen would just behave erratically when touched (or even not touched! ). Even with "touch lock" enabled salt spray would sometimes cause the screen to respond randomly.

Apparently Raymarine intended these devices for boat shows/fair weather sailors/interior use only!

Have others had similar experiences?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Touch Screen Experiences

I regularly advise customers to avoid touch screens. They work great—- at the dock. Between the spray, and movement of most boats under 60’, they are a PITA to use.

Good news is that Ray makes a supplemental joystick, keyboard add on. Looks like the controls they used to have as part of the older devices.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:11   #3

I agree with Snore, almost completely. Navico has a similar detached control arrangement that is a nice addition on a lot of boats if they have room for it.

If you look back at the development history of MFD screens, you'll see manufacturers bouncing around between touch screen only, keypad only and hybrid designs as they try to sort out these issues.

For route planning and working at the dock, I DO like the touch screen It can be a lot faster to pick locations, and information off the screen. An excellent interface IMO for a below deck nav station.

On our 52 foot boat, we have no trouble using the 12 inch cockpit touch screen when underway, even in the roughest conditions. Our touch screen is located well under a hard dodger, and spray rarely gets to it. If it gets salty enough however, it does go all funky. That's when it is nice that it has a hybrid interface, and we can do ALMOST everything with the knobs and buttons.

I am mystified how people driving center cockpit fishing boats are supposed to use touch screens while underway bouncing off waves, and with spray flying everywhere. That is a larger market these day than us sailors, and I haven't seen good solutions there--yet.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:17   #4

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

B&G had this issue but resolved it with the Zeus 3. It seems to work fine.
Old 24-05-2019, 15:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I haven't used a touch screen other than below deck that doesn't have moisture problems at sea - and I've used quite a few (I must admit, I haven't used a Zeus 3, so I'll reserve judgement on that.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 15:51   #6

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

B&G Zeus 3 12". Touch works better than the videos I watched before purchase (HUGE SURPRISE!). Wet or dry. It has knobs and buttons and I find myself using both the touch and the buttons depending on the function.
Old 24-05-2019, 16:36   #7

Boat: Expedition 36 Aluminium

I had the same problems with that brand (Raymarine) on a yacht I was delivering. Twin helm with a screen at each, totally useless once it became wet in somewhat average conditions. It even started dropping MOB markers every few minutes and on one occasion it went into simulation mode, I had imaginary ships going everywhere..... eventually I powered them both down and just used the master screen below. Great system for around the harbour when racing...
Diamond Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, screen