Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2007, 16:46   #1

Looking for 15" LCD touch screen monitor

I’m looking to buy a good 15" LCD touch screen monitor that is sunlight readable at a reasonable price. Any suggestion?
geoffgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 18:06   #2
cruiser

Here's a copy from another post where we thread-drifted into this topic. I think these work with PCs as well, but I'm not sure if there is an issue getting them in Australia.

BEGIN COPIED POST--------------
Hi Jim,

Here is the link to the guy who sells the displays. He works direclty with MacENC, so they are guaranteed to work well together:

Sunlight viewable displays for Mac

If you get this set up, can you post some pictures?? This is a dream setup for me. I'd love to see it.
Old 20-01-2007, 19:42   #3

RE: 15" LCD

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to do better than US$2,295.00
Old 22-01-2007, 05:40   #4

I found this 15" monitor from Argonaut. The Tflex-G615 has a retail price of $995. Does anyone have one?
Argonaut - Tflex G615 Sunlight Readable Monitor

Also found this review:
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Argonaut 15" monitor under $1,000, and other good new$
Old 22-01-2007, 06:12   #5

Boat: Brewer, Kaiulani 38, 41'LOA, "Kaiulani"
try ebay

try ebay. they don't always have these items but do occasionally. I got a great deal on a touch screen used in police cruisers (200.00)
"I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it the tomb is sealed.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?
-Sterling Hayden (1916-1986)
undrsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:27   #6

Boat: gozzard 44
Xenarc Technologies - 1020TSV - 10.2" Touchscreen TFT LCD Monitor with VGA and AV inputs

I installed the 10.2" Xenarc touchscreen LCD at my helm and am pleased with it's performance. The laptop at the nav station, loaded with Nobeltec's Navigation program, feeds the LCD and the screen is large enough to allow proper operation of the touchscreen. Screen brightness is a somewhat controversial measurement but I've found the 430nits is perfectly readable in daylight (the bimini is always up thus preventing direct sun reflection and it's as good as the Raymarine radar/plotter that sits next to it.)

The best part is the $600 price. Though not claiming to be waterproof it can be sealed pretty well since it uses only about 8 watts and is in a heavy aluminum case.

This appears to be the technology of the future. A stand alone system such as < SeaPC > is available as a 15" touchscreen LCD with computer built in but it's a hefty $4200.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 12:40   #7

Boat: Brewer, Kaiulani 38, 41'LOA, "Kaiulani"
Ronbo1- installation info please

Could you post some info and pics re your screen installation? I haven't done mine yet and am looking for ideas. I was thinking about using a "fibox" (from company of same name and website) as it is NEMA rated and non metallic (I have a steel boat). How do you handle the issue of using the touch screen yet keeping the unit sealed from weather?
Thanks
Rob
"I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it the tomb is sealed.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?
-Sterling Hayden (1916-1986)
undrsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 05:16   #8

Boat: gozzard 44
Undrsol,
Sorry I don't have pictures and the boat is on the hard until April.
Message me for information.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 05:29   #9

Cool.

Thanks Rob. This looks very close to what I'm looking for. The touch screen option is important to me and is often not available.