Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: The Marine Android Tablet

I do like the info active captain has, it was very handy about the Barneget Bay inlet! These are good days for mariners and the tech that's available. I'm finding the EVO phone my wife just had to have and was cheaper to do two...is becoming quite a useful little tool.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 23:56   #17

So - can I take a Toshiba or other USB capable Android tablet that isn't a phone, and plug a USGLOBALSAT BU-353 Waterproof WAAS Enabled USB GPS Receiver into it, and then run a software program while offshore navigating, without web access.

My question really is will Android accept data from a usb gps, and run navigation software without internet access?
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
1. Not all androids access the market. (how) Can we use Navionics on a device that has no access to the market?

2. Any app that shows AIS ships and gives CPA etc warnings?

b.

I use Shipfinder for AIS. It costs like 5 bucks.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12   #19
cruiser

mariella's auto-correction "fixed" the name of the app referenced to something that can't be found. What was meant was "FlyToMap".

FlyToMap is a very poor app in my opinion. I've used it. It doesn't compete against the most basic navigation apps for Android. For US use, there are free apps that are much better.

Real navigation apps for boaters include Navionics, EarthNC, and NutiCharts. Both EarthNC and NutiCharts have free online versions. For international use, nothing beats Navionics right now. I think that's about to change in a big way in the next couple of months prior to the boat show">Miami Boat Show 2012.

If you want something for Android now, look at the free apps and see how they work. FlyToMap shouldn't be seriously considered unless you're set to throw away a few dollars - read the reviews.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Resurrecting an oldish thread. . . . I hope we can keep ongoing list of useful Android apps for sailors here.

I just came across this one, after reading a thread on hand bearing compasses, and thinking, "Hey, maybe I could hire someone to write an app that turns my Droid phone into a bearing compass, and I'll get rich!" A quick check of the Marketplace reveals, of course, that it already exists. And it's free: Smart Compass.

It looks "through" the phone using the rear-facing camera, and shows the compass bearing superimposed on the view. Very simple and elegant.

I find this app is accurate to a degree or two, using some known landmarks near me. Just keep your phone's electronic compass calibrated, by giving it a few rotations in all directions.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:48   #21

Boat: HR42E
Hi,

I've been using Navionics charts along with my iPhone 4S. This set is very functional, fast and relatively cheaper in comparison with a chartplotter+charts. I also have a Lowrance HDS7 and the same Navionics charts. The performance of iPhone is outstanding!!! So much that I am thinking of buying an iPad specifically for sailing. And there are several Apps with small prices.

Paulo
pparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:23   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Interesting developements in this just lately. Do a Google search for "waterproof tablet". There are now several affordable submersable tablets. Has anyone had a look at these for marine apps?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:53   #23

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Interesting developements in this just lately. Do a Google search for "waterproof tablet". There are now several affordable submersable tablets. Has anyone had a look at these for marine apps?
I'm sure sure they'll do great, the vids I've aeen at shows showed it being operated with wireless keyboard and mouse in a fish tank. At&t is the only carrier I know of that is offering a water resistant (it has plugs to close off charge/usb/audio ports).
There are also waterproof bags of sorts for tablets.
MXMariner is becoming quite a powerful Android chartplotter, it isn't just a handheld gps, you can plot with it. Will (the developer) is doing a pretty good job updating as he goes.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine