Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2023, 19:27   #1

Boat: Southerly 480
Starlink Maritime now starting at $250/month

and $2500 in equipment.

https://www.starlink.com/maritime

I haven't found any details of the various pricing levels and what they offer/limit yet other than you can pause and unpause service as in Roam.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:36   #2

Re: Starlink Maritime now starting at $250/month

so if you are tied up to a dock from may 1st to may 14th watching netflix and then sail away into the ocean. no internet for 2 weeks, because you already used the 50gb for the month? ....
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:52   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
so if you are tied up to a dock from may 1st to may 14th watching netflix and then sail away into the ocean. no internet for 2 weeks, because you already used the 50gb for the month? ....
IIRC, even the full maritime version had/has a similar limitation. For whatever reasons, people fail to accept that delivering service over the ocean is more expensive for Starlink to deliver and has bandwidth limitations over the laser links.

I am happy for this news, as it begins to answer a lot of questions, and $250 is a reasonable price for what you get and in the budget for many cruisers.

It also means that being able to use Starlink ROAM in the ocean with a rectangular dish is probably in its last few days.
Old 18-04-2023, 19:58   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
The plan supplies Priority and regular unlimited data. Not sure if you can use unlimited data on/near land before using the Priority data when you leave the dock.

We have SL Roam. It still works while sailing and near offshore in Western Australia (it’s how I’m connected right now 50 miles from Cape Leeuwin).

We just received an email from SL announcing their Maritime/Mobile plan. In Australia it costs AUD399/month (just over double the AUD174 we pay for Roam). Not sure if we would need to upgrade our regular dishy, but if so that’s AUD3740. So, no go, just not worth it for us.

“After using all Priority data, the plan includes unlimited data on inland coverage (e.g., lakes, rivers) anywhere Starlink has service around the world.

Additional Priority data (with access to oceans) will be available for purchase in your account page at a later date.”
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:59   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
https://www.starlink.com/legal/docum...?regionCode=US

Maritime has priority over residential while inland. While inland, once you've used your allotted amount of priority data you're downgraded to best effort. If you're in open waters, then you lose access as Smac has said. You can, however, purchase additional priority data. I've not found where the limits are listed nor how much additional data costs yet.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 20:06   #6

Over much of the ocean delivery cost is no greater than on land. For instance, based on SL published specs, between the US west coast and Hawaii there is only about 200-300 miles of water where the satellites would not have direct connection to a ground station. Where is the extra cost? Some parts of the southern oceans will require inter-satellite links, but most of the northern hemisphere and low to mid latitudes Southern Hemisphere has direct ground station coverage for ocean travel.

For $1000/month you can up the data to 1TB. I had hoped Starlink would be a real game changer, but it is becoming more of the same.

Quote:
For inland coverage (including lakes and rivers), Maritime Service Plans will receive Basic Access after Priority Access is exhausted, which will result in slower speeds and degradation of bandwidth intensive applications during times of network congestion. In open waters (such as the ocean), you will be unable to connect to the internet and limited to accessing your Starlink Account on www.starlink.com, where you may purchase additional Priority Access so that you may reconnect to the internet.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 21:34   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
https://www.starlink.com/legal/docum...?regionCode=US

Maritime has priority over residential while inland. While inland, once you've used your allotted amount of priority data you're downgraded to best effort. If you're in open waters, then you lose access as Smac has said. You can, however, purchase additional priority data. I've not found where the limits are listed nor how much additional data costs yet.
50GB of priority data, then $2 GB thereafter.
Old 19-04-2023, 00:24   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I believe you can add this to the existing roam dish (have seen reports of others doing this). It just wouldn’t work in motion but, as many have seen, if you are sailing it will likely work still just fine.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 03:15   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Try using 720p
Even 360p is more than acceptable on our 42 inch tv screen
Then you get months worth of viewing from 50gb

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.co...esolution.html
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:09   #10

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

WTF that sucks…and why do I need the 2500$ dish if the RV one just works fine?
They milk every customer group best they can, just give a bit more then competition, that shows Musks true face. You catch people with a „gamechanger“, if you have enough baits caught and invested just give a bit more then competition….
Not worth for me too. I would be ok if maritime works with the 400Euro RV dishy. I use RV as long as it makes sense, offshore with iridium go which I can switch on/off each month.
It’s time the other satellite systems like kuiper start working to create more competition.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
WTF that sucks…and why do I need the 2500$ dish if the RV one just works fine?
They milk every customer group best they can, just give a bit more then competition, that shows Musks true face. You catch people with a „gamechanger“, if you have enough baits caught and invested just give a bit more then competition….
Not worth for me too. I would be ok if maritime works with the 400Euro RV dishy. I use RV as long as it makes sense, offshore with iridium go which I can switch on/off each month.
It’s time the other satellite systems like kuiper start working to create more competition.
Why are people surprised when businesses do business things? It's expected by shareholders for the company to not leave any money on the table, so to speak.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I believe you can add this to the existing roam dish (have seen reports of others doing this). It just wouldn’t work in motion but, as many have seen, if you are sailing it will likely work still just fine.
That would be great. Can you even switch between martime and roam?
Old 19-04-2023, 04:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Why are people surprised when businesses do business things? It's expected by shareholders for the company to not leave any money on the table, so to speak.
I am not surprised, if you read Musks bio you know you are dealing with a person that goes over dead bodies and lying more then the worst politician to reach his goals.
I am only surprised about the speed this starlink is changing and the granularity of the different offers in different countries and customer groups. Thought that will take longer.
100-150Euro a month+400 for dish is a low enough much better option then iridium, keep it there and you will make much more money on the long run.
But 2500 just as entry price and then 250 a month, no thank you.
Old 19-04-2023, 04:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I am not surprised, if you read Musks bio you know you are dealing with a person that goes over dead bodies and lying more then the worst politician to reach his goals.
I am only surprised about the speed this starlink is changing and the granularity of the different offers in different countries and customer groups. Thought that will take longer.
100-150Euro a month+400 for dish is a low enough much better option then iridium, keep it there and you will make much more money on the long run.
But 2500 just as entry price and then 250 a month, no thank you.
I hear ya. In this case, the speed these changes are coming have paralleled the speed at which the product / service was deployed and rolled out in the first place.

Some of his cowboy tendencies can be a double edged sword.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:55   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My old InReach is looking better every day.

It would be interesting to see someone (hopefully not Garmin) develop a similar device which would use the Starlink constellation, and maybe others. Text and limited data only, no voice. This trivial bandwidth would be pure profit for the carrier. Of course it would take a totally different antenna technology, to fit in a hand-held device. Not sure that's possible.

As for Musk and Starlink, I have to admit that, as a former fanboy, he and his company are losing their luster. I'm still rooting for them to succeed, because the world needs reliable, inexpensive access to deep space. I'm just glad there are others pursuing the same goals more methodically. Fingers crossed for Starship, but there's a lot which can go wrong there. Add to that the more aggressive posture Russia and China are taking toward anti-satellite technology, and Starlink starts to look less reliable than we'd hoped.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote