Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 05:04   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Standard Horizon VHF/AIS/GPS question

Got the insurance money for the lightning strike, and am replacing electronics now. Next on the list is the VHF. I'm looking at the SH version with built in GPS and AIS receiver. I have question and didn't find the answer in their advertisement literature.
I'm looking at the SH models 2150 and 2200. As near as I can tell, the only difference is that the 2150 needs a GPS input to work and the 2200 includes a GPS receiver.

I picked up a couple of the hockey puck USB GPS receivers as spares after the lightning strike fried everything. Would just using one of my USB GPS pucks with the Model 2150 be the equivalent of the model 2200?

Also, with the 2200, is it possible to turn off the AIS/DSC stuff and just use it as a radio? I figure that with the 2150 if I wanted to turn off position reporting I could just unplug the GPS. Does the 2200 give you that option?
Old 20-06-2014, 05:24   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Standard Horizon VHF/AIS/GPS question

Yes, the only difference between those two radios is the built in GPS on one.

You cannot use the hockey puck GPS with the radio - the output is different and you would need to power it. By the time you bought a USB-Serial converter, an appropriate power supply and did the conversion necessary (if possible), you would probably be in for the same amount as just buying an appropriate GPS for it. Or just getting the one with a built-in GPS.

On both models, it is not possible to turn the AIS off, but it is receive-only, so the spies cannot use it to find you. You also never have to turn that screen on, so you do not have to ever see the AIS.

On both models, you cannot turn the DSC off, per se, but you can turn off the individual functionalities like position reporting, auto answer etc. The ability to receive DSC calls and alerts will remain, but if you don't tell anyone your mmsi #, then you will get no calls. You will be alerted to vessels in distress.

I'm confused why you are considering these - if you don't want DSC or AIS, then why not buy a radio without them? Do they even make non-DSC fixed VHF's anymore?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 06:05   #3
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

I'm confused why you are considering these - if you don't want DSC or AIS, then why not buy a radio without them? Do they even make non-DSC fixed VHF's anymore?

Mark
Couldn't find one without DSC. As for the AIS receiver, it could be handy crossing some of the shipping lanes around here sometimes.
Old 20-06-2014, 06:56   #4
One of Those

Just ordered the GX2200. Next question is about antenna location. I am loathe to put another metal antenna at the top of the mast. Does anyone know of any problems if I mounted a GPS 4' metal whip antenna half way up the mast, on the same platform the radar antenna uses? I guess what I am asking is whether the transmission of a radar pulse would mess with a VHF/GPS antenna located immediately adjacent to that transmitter? I see them side by side on radar arches so am guessing they're far enough apart in their bandwidths not to interfere with each other.

I'm thinking that I'll keep the top of the mast as clean of electronics as I can get away with this time around. Don't plan to replace the wind instruments at all.
Old 20-06-2014, 09:00   #5

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

The antenna for the GPS receiver in a Standard-Horizon GX2200 is contained in the radio housing. The GPS receiver is not connected to the VHF Marine Band antenna used by the VHF Marine Band receiver and transmitter, and by the AIS receiver.

In the USA, all fixed mount VHF Marine Band radios that are imported, sold, or installed must now be qualified to DSC Class-D rating.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 09:56   #6
One of Those

Yes, I saw the bump on the front panel of the radio with the GPS antenna, thanks. IF I understand how these work, they use a single antenna for both VHF and to receive AIS transmissions. I was asking more about the VHF side by side with a radar. I haven't picked out the replacement radar yet. Pulse is getting cheap, but I really like the FMCW systems for close returns. I won't buy Garmin anymore and this is making some of these choices difficult.

I'm not in the USA, so don't feel any particular need to conform to the USA's regulations. Most local boats here don't have a radio. or compass. Or life jackets. Or those all-important placards telling the world who is responsible for taking the garbage out.

Not easy being a curmudgeon these days.
Old 20-06-2014, 10:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

If this helps Canibul I have my AIS transmitter and GPS reciever on my dodger. I can see just fine out to about 10 km, which is as far as I need to to avoid collisions. My radar is about 3 feet higher on the radar arch behind me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 15:46   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1403304291.872980.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	83473
My radar and VHF antenna placement, no problems.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 06:38   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Does anyone know of any problems if I mounted a GPS 4' metal whip antenna half way up the mast, on the same platform the radar antenna uses? I guess what I am asking is whether the transmission of a radar pulse would mess with a VHF/GPS antenna located immediately adjacent to that transmitter? I see them side by side on radar arches so am guessing they're far enough apart in their bandwidths not to interfere with each other.

I'm thinking that I'll keep the top of the mast as clean of electronics as I can get away with this time around. Don't plan to replace the wind instruments at all.
I would be more worried about the blind spot created by the mast than the close proximity to the radar. Depending on how close you are to the mast, it could degrade your ability to receive/transmit a significant portion of area.

To judge the effect, close one eye and walk up to a dock piling noting how much area on the other side of the piling you can't see as you get closer to the piling. VHF is going to have a hard time getting thru your mast.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 01:00   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailcraft

Hi Everyone, I have now been testing the Matrix GX 2200 for 12 months and love the unit. When home I use it as a Marine traffic base station, when at work I go onboard, disconnect the ships VHF antenna and connect it to the Matrix, power supply added the serial port adaptor to Open CPN on my laptop. Best $360 USD I have ever spent on boat gear. Cheers.
Sailcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:04   #11

Boat: Hunter 34

Hi Sailcraft, Just got the GX2200 for our boat and was wondering how to interface with OpenCPN on my laptop. I would be interested to learn more about your serial adapter. Can you give me a reference or link for it?
trunorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:18   #12

Boat: Amel Sharki

You may use any USB/Serial adapter however the best ones without driver problems as seen with the Prolific adapters are the Keyspan USA-19HS
Keyspan High Speed USB to Serial Adapter(USA-19HS) | Tripp Lite
A little bit more expensive but bullproofed for any operating system version.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:53   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailcraft

Dear Trunorth,
Happy to help with the Matrix. You have nmea wires at the rear of the matrix and the radio can be programmed to change what they send or receive, (GPS/AIS or DSC data) and the manual does cover these selections. I can email you our diagrams if you wish

Email address edited out by moderator at original posters request
Sailcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 17:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Got the insurance money for the lightning strike, and am replacing electronics now. Next on the list is the VHF. I'm looking at the SH version with built in GPS and AIS receiver. I have question and didn't find the answer in their advertisement literature.
I'm looking at the SH models 2150 and 2200. As near as I can tell, the only difference is that the 2150 needs a GPS input to work and the 2200 includes a GPS receiver.

I picked up a couple of the hockey puck USB GPS receivers as spares after the lightning strike fried everything. Would just using one of my USB GPS pucks with the Model 2150 be the equivalent of the model 2200?

Also, with the 2200, is it possible to turn off the AIS/DSC stuff and just use it as a radio? I figure that with the 2150 if I wanted to turn off position reporting I could just unplug the GPS. Does the 2200 give you that option?
I prefer separate & independent devices. Our Vesper Marine 850 uses only 10 watts, does anchor watch, has filters for traffic reduction, has a silent mode, is ridiculously simple to use. It can be networked if desired.

On the lightening issue - We have been hit three times. Last time was a whopper. We observed that ALL devices with software power switches such as the VHS and Stereo as well as many LED lights were wrecked. All electronics with local two-pole air gap snap action switches survived. I had installed several of these in order to be able to selectively enable only certain instruments. These break both + & - power wiring with an air gap. Did not lose the SSB, Simrad, Radar, fishing scanner. We are now aggressively adding 2-pole switches everywhere.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 17:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the only difference between those two radios is the built in GPS on one.

You cannot use the hockey puck GPS with the radio - the output is different and you would need to power it. By the time you bought a USB-Serial converter, an appropriate power supply and did the conversion necessary (if possible), you would probably be in for the same amount as just buying an appropriate GPS for it. Or just getting the one with a built-in GPS.

On both models, it is not possible to turn the AIS off, but it is receive-only, so the spies cannot use it to find you. You also never have to turn that screen on, so you do not have to ever see the AIS.

On both models, you cannot turn the DSC off, per se, but you can turn off the individual functionalities like position reporting, auto answer etc. The ability to receive DSC calls and alerts will remain, but if you don't tell anyone your mmsi #, then you will get no calls. You will be alerted to vessels in distress.

Mark
A little clarification of the info Mark provided.

I'm glad to see the new model which has the GPS built in. We'd have bought it if it were available when we got ours. We've had the older one hooked up with external (puck) GPS on our boat since 2010. With the older model, you CAN use a puck w/o hassles: the Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit ships with DB9 (that's serial) so you don't have to deal with USB. The puck sells for between $60-$80, looks like $66 on Amazon.

Great radios!

Tags
ais, gps, vhf