Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Si - Tex Metadata Class B AIS Transceiver

Anyone out here using one of these Si-Tex units?

I was leaning towards the Digital Yacht AIT 2000 until I found out that the company has discontinued the AIT 1000 and has not yet manufactured the 2000 model. Then when looking a little more I found this new Si Tex model that was NMEA 2k and had an internal GPS antenna. I would prefer not to have to wire and mount a GPS antenna if I donthave to and this model sounds like the external antenna is an option that may not be required.

Im curious to know if anyone is using this device and if they know if it will work with Open CPN? Below is a link to the product data sheet.

http://www.defender.com/ftp/259096.pdf
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Si - Tex Metadata Class B AIS Transceiver

This looks like one to keep an eye on. We'll have to wait for some review tests to see if it's working correctly and if it is and the price is right, it looks like a winner of the black-box class.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This looks like one to keep an eye on. We'll have to wait for some review tests to see if it's working correctly and if it is and the price is right, it looks like a winner of the black-box class.

ciao!
Nick.
Thats what I thought. Im in the market for an AIS transponder and this one was priced well and seemed to provide all the bells I was looking for. I have never owned any Si-Tex gear and a quick search did not turn up much info on this device on their own website... I guess Im going to contact them and see what they can provide.

Si-Tex Marine Electronics
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Anyone out here using one of these Si-Tex units?

I was leaning towards the Digital Yacht AIT 2000 until I found out that the company has discontinued the AIT 1000 and has not yet manufactured the 2000 model. Then when looking a little more I found this new Si Tex model that was NMEA 2k and had an internal GPS antenna. I would prefer not to have to wire and mount a GPS antenna if I donthave to and this model sounds like the external antenna is an option that may not be required.

Im curious to know if anyone is using this device and if they know if it will work with Open CPN? Below is a link to the product data sheet.

http://www.defender.com/ftp/259096.pdf
This looks like it's an OEM from SRT.

http://www.panbo.com/SRT_Marine_Comm..._June_2011.pdf

I purchased the Em-Trak B100 from West Marine (similar price) which Panbo believes is a SRT derivative also. The Em-Trak works, but it's only a couple months old, so the jury is still out.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: New AIS brands: Em-Trak, Digital Deep Sea, & Watcheye
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If that is so... I was involved with the software development of the first Smart Radio AIS transponder which was much like a thrown together bunch of modules and supported both class-A and class-B operation. When we were done with all the field testing and bug tracing, correcting and repeat testings, it worked 100% but as a unit did not meet regulations of course. One of my toughest tests was checking stacks and heap memory allocations and returns to the pool. I did not cease failing the software until the developers in China fixed every last memory leak. At that time all the logic and timing was already straightened out.

I still have that pre-production units and it still works 100%.

I recon that the current versions are all build upon the software developed years ago, which would make it likely that these units are solid performers.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
This looks like it's an OEM from SRT.

http://www.panbo.com/SRT_Marine_Comm..._June_2011.pdf

I purchased the Em-Trak B100 from West Marine (similar price) which Panbo believes is a SRT derivative also. The Em-Trak works, but it's only a couple months old, so the jury is still out.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: New AIS brands: Em-Trak, Digital Deep Sea, & Watcheye

The Em-Trak looks very interesting. I emailed Si-tex yesterday with some questions will have to see if they respond. Im curious about the Si-tex unit because it apparently has an internal GPS antenna that might allow me to avoid having to install and external GPS antenna. It would be great if the unit could be mounted in my nav station and not need an external antenna to pick up GPS. I see the Em Trak requires an external antenna.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01   #7

Quote:
The Em-Trak looks very interesting. I emailed Si-tex yesterday with some questions will have to see if they respond. Im curious about the Si-tex unit because it apparently has an internal GPS antenna that might allow me to avoid having to install and external GPS antenna. It would be great if the unit could be mounted in my nav station and not need an external antenna to pick up GPS. I see the Em Trak requires an external antenna.
Agree! Running more wire is a pain! But I did it! I put the Em-Trak on it's own VHF antenna also, although it's mounted on the dinghy davits (not sure how important long-range AIS reception is in a 7kt boat, hence didn't worry about putting it at the top of the mast). Of course money plays into the picture, a VHF antenna (Shakespeare 5250) is ~$40 whereas a good antenna splitter is >$200. Since I was running the GPS antenna wire anyway.........(I work cheap when I work for myself )

BTW, if you have access to a Port Supply card, you can take ~$100-125 off the WM price of the Em-Trak, or price match it for ~$480. One feature of the Em-Trak (the Si-Tex may have it also) is the SD card slot for dead reckoning/target tracking and firmware updates. I thought it was a good feature (along with (1) N2K port, (1) 0183, (1) HS0183, (1) USB port and external leads for silent mode).
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Agree! Running more wire is a pain! But I did it! I put the Em-Trak on it's own VHF antenna also, although it's mounted on the dinghy davits (not sure how important long-range AIS reception is in a 7kt boat, hence didn't worry about putting it at the top of the mast). Of course money plays into the picture, a VHF antenna (Shakespeare 5250) is ~$40 whereas a good antenna splitter is >$200. Since I was running the GPS antenna wire anyway.........(I work cheap when I work for myself )

BTW, if you have access to a Port Supply card, you can take ~$100-125 off the WM price of the Em-Trak, or price match it for ~$480. One feature of the Em-Trak (the Si-Tex may have it also) is the SD card slot for dead reckoning/target tracking and firmware updates. I thought it was a good feature (along with (1) N2K port, (1) 0183, (1) HS0183, (1) USB port and external leads for silent mode).
Yes I looked it up with my Port Supply and its only $425. Now Im navigating the FCC for a MMSI number. Reading fine print on the Boat US free MMSI number page and it says not to use their forms if you intend to operate your vessle outside of the US. So I filed for a license with the FCC and paid my $160....

edit: Turns out I also need a Restricted Radio Telephone Operators license in addition to the Ships License I applied for since I intend to operate and comminicate over vhf in international waters, another $60.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12   #9

Quote:
Yes I looked it up with my Port Supply and its only $425. Now Im navigating the FCC for a MMSI number. Reading fine print on the Boat US free MMSI number page and it says not to use their forms if you intend to operate your vessle outside of the US. So I filed for a license with the FCC and paid my $160....

edit: Turns out I also need a Restricted Radio Telephone Operators license in addition to the Ships License I applied for since I intend to operate and comminicate over vhf in international waters, another $60.
Yeah, you should have 'your own' MMSI number if you are going to operate an AIS transceiver.
Old 14-12-2019, 23:27   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Re-resurecting this old thread again. Did a search on CF for relevant threads but didn't find much. I'm looking at the transponder units listed below. Does anyone have direct experience with them and could offer some thoughts? I don't see many reviews in general. Some of my criteria of the features are: NMEA 2000, USB, external antenna, low power, and $500-$700 price range. What about Wifi capability? Is it just a nice thing to have or are there any real advantages to it?

SI-TEX Metadata Class B AIS Transceiver with External GPS Antenna Package (~500)
EM-TRAK B350 CLASS B SOTDMA AIS TRANSPONDER ($600 but would need antenna, too)
COMAR T200B CLASS B AIS TRANSPONDER (~$670)
B&G NAIS-500 Class B AIS with GPS-500 GPS Antenna (~$750; my equipment is currently B&G, but this seems a little bit high)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 00:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Not the EM Trak B350, but fitted the B100 recently, all plug and play. Decided I didn't need wifi but the two separate supplies for NMEA 1830 and NMEA 2000 useful to feed two different chart plotters. Light enough I used velcro to secure it in place. Price was £334 in the UK, presumably you could get that VAT free saving another 20%. We are allowed to enter our own MMSI number in the UK, so didn't need a dealer to do that. Connected to a separate antenna on the stern mounted on a pole. Comes with separate GPS antenna but has a built in one too, mounted below decks at the chart table, works perfectly with a good signal which you can see with the PRO AIS2 software many of them use. Connected to CP via the RM SeatalkNG metwork, but B&G will be similar.

Is the higher power and more frequent transmissions of the B350 needed, not sure.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 00:56   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Re-resurecting this old thread again. Did a search on CF for relevant threads but didn't find much. I'm looking at the transponder units listed below. Does anyone have direct experience with them and could offer some thoughts? I don't see many reviews in general. Some of my criteria of the features are: NMEA 2000, USB, external antenna, low power, and $500-$700 price range. What about Wifi capability? Is it just a nice thing to have or are there any real advantages to it?

SI-TEX Metadata Class B AIS Transceiver with External GPS Antenna Package (~500)
M-TRAK B350 CLASS B SOTDMA AIS TRANSPONDER ($600 but would need antenna, too)
COMAR T200B CLASS B AIS TRANSPONDER (~$670)
B&G NAIS-500 Class B AIS with GPS-500 GPS Antenna (~$750; my equipment is currently B&G, but this seems a little bit high)
I recommend you add Vesper to your list. The 6000 has what you want, the 8000 adds wifi. I have the 8000, but today I would buy the 6000 and add an nmea2000<>wifi gateway from Yacht Devices
https://www2.vespermarine.com/xb6000-ais-transponder
Old 15-12-2019, 09:20   #13

Thanks to you both! Yes, I was thinking the SOTDMA capability was not needed and really just doubles the energy output, which I definitely don't need. It seems all the dealers are required to enter the MMSI on purchase so pulling the trigger is a done deal. I'd forgotten about the Vesper units. Will check them out.
Old 15-12-2019, 09:41   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

One if the benefits of the vesper is its anchor alarm. Although you dont buy it for that ,its really cool. Draws very little, mine is on 24/7.

Wifi is nice. I've recently been cruising very poorly charted waters, San blas islands. From a member here I got a copy of accurate charts that I could run on opencpn which I downloaded on to my tablet. I was then able to wifi my ais to it which enabled me to record other yachts tracks in and out of coral lagoons etc, just more really good info to help with navigating.

Is it essential? no but it's nice.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 16:40   #15

Nice input, Dale, especially on the anchor alarm. That is definitely a feature I would like to have ever since I listened to 4 boats calling for assistance in the middle of the night as they drug anchors or wrapped anchors and grounded in Drakes Bay. I was singlehanding and couldn't help them, but I also couldn't get to sleep until I had downloaded an anchor alarm app. Luckily I had service. I'd only anchored a few times before that night so it was a bit initmidating. Challengingly great memories though!

Tags
ais, grass